work by day and party by night: the Skyrim Festival Thread

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

stagnant94

right, so i feel that bethesda are really missing out by not having festivals. i mean we have the burning of king olaf but thats about it. so i have decided on various festivals for each hold capital. the way it works is each hold capital gets its own unique festivals once a year, here is my list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINDHELM

The day of Talos - this festival celebrates the birthday of talos. it is always held in windhelm because it is the oldest city in the province of skyrim. a more peaceful occasion it starts with a mass sermon from the priests of talos just outside candlehearth hall. a market always arrives outside the city to make use of the travellers arriving there.

MARKARTH

the festival of silver - two days of celebrating the ousting of the forsworn from markarth. lots of dancing and stalls. security is very strict on these days and the only visitors allowed in to the city are special guests of the jarl and members of his court.

FALKREATH

the falkreath day of the dead - lots of merchants arrive on this day as well as ambassadors from every hold to celebrate skyrim's dead. on this day all current wars have to temporarily stop.

WHITERUN

the cleansing of the north festival - celebrates the day Ysgramor arrived with his 500 companions. it centres around the mead hall Jorrvaskr and is a day of fighting and drinking

SOLITUDE

the kings day - celebrates the high king of skyrim, always starts with a speech from the high king and ends in the evening with a parade of boats arriving at the dock.

RIFTEN

the trade festival - on this day the canal are filled with various barges selling there own special gear, the festival is funded by the black briar family who use the occasion to sell there mead.

MORTHAL

the full moon festival - on one day of the year the moon is as bright and as big as it can be. and the people of mortal celebrate this.

WINTERHOLD

N/A - due to lack of trade and money.

DAWNSTAR

the night of dawn - they celebrate all through the night on the day with the most sunlight.

all smaller towns have market days every sunday, this includes Winterhold

the largest festival is the last nine days of the year. and its called...

THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHT

it starts off in Whiterun on the first day, where the cauldron is lit at the skyforge. it spends a night in whiterun amid festivities. on the next day it travels north to dawnstar by carriage, followed by a parade, bards and guards. it spends a night in dawnstar. it then goes through each of the nine holds in a clockwise fashion and finishes in Solitude, where the cauldron spends its final night. when the new year comes round the cauldron is put on a barge and sails alone into the north sea...

festival of light includes winterhold. on the nine days of celebration all civil conflicts are temporarily stopped. please note that on the final night ALL holds celebrate, but the real festival is in Solitude.

these are just some ideas i think would be quite nice implemented into skyrim, i doubt it'll actually happen though.

Do you think festivals is a good idea? if so, what kinds of festivals would you like? please share all your ideas. a couple of festivals a year for each hold is quite a small amount. these festivals could hold player benefits such as prices being reduced at shops. please share your thoughts and ideas!

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
Well.

That was an original post.

andrew9300

I wouldn't mind some social events in Skyrim. They should have some sort of night life in the holds where the citizens hang out. If you go to Bannered Mare or Drunken Huntsman you can see how it sucks to be there.

DovahCap

I forgot all about Riften with Haelga's Bunkhouse and the other place. They are all crowded pretty much.

Other place? Haelga's Bunkhouse is the only Brothel I know of in Skyrim, and there's no mature content anyway (other than the wierd stuff under Haelga's bed, lol.)

DovahCap

DovahCap

The Bee and Barb I meant

Not a brothel, never seen Haelga there.

Only female I've met in there is Sapphire (and occasionally Maven.)

Keerava doesn't count due to lizardness.

Mjoll definitely isn't a lady.

Remember Riften's got a huge gap between the rich and the poor. The Bee and Barb tavern is a bar & grill, with available rooms on the second floor. They cater mostly to people with money. You'll see Blackbriars in there, Haelga (a business owner), the mourning family in the rich clothing, Mjoll (a retired adventurer), and similar types. I would expect to see travelling merchants if there were such in the game too.

The bunkhouse is more of a low-cost housing kind of deal. It's not a brothel - it's a bunkhouse. They don't mean working men and women as in prostitutes. In this case they literally mean laborers. People that spend all day at the fishery, or the meadhouse, they come "home" and flop into their beds and then get up early to do it all over again the next day. Haelga's probably provides room and board all in one package at a discount compared to more lavish accomodations available elsewhere.

Due to Haelga's personal life, it's easy to think she runs a brothel, but I would be very surprised if she accepted payment for her charms. Her sex life is just a part of her religion. When she's making love, she's giving thanks and praise to her goddess.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
This.... is actually a really good idea. They should add this in a DLC, along with the other ten thousand things they did in the Game Jam.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts