• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Towls

I am getting a new Desktop for Christmas and my range is about 600$ or less. I am not really good with computer specs so i was hoping someone here could help me out... I have 2 computers i am looking at, a Custom one and a used one from craigslist... I am also open to your suggestions on a different one in my price range :D thank you alot everyone

Custom built one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341048
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227367
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

Used one on craigslist:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/sys/2717336301.html

also open to suggestions! really appreciated thanks a million!

Towls

Sorry forgot to mention i was looking for one that can run Skyrim at about mid-high graphics with a good framerate... Is it possible with a budget of 600$?

ohh yea it will run no problem on that. I have a pretty old computer and I have it on mid-high settings with good fps, and my computer doesnt have that good of specs

the newegg one with the Radien vid card.. personally I like Nvidia but that will do for sure.. the one from craigslist doesnt seem to have a vid card, so that would put ya over the $600 mark with a 150$ vid card. (although if you could get one for that it would be the definate choice)

No prob hope it helps

Flamingtaco

That will run it on high settings. If you want to go up to ultra you should either get the 6870 instead for $30 more or the nvidia gtx 560 ti for about $200. If you wanna stay lower budget then the nvidia equivalent of the 6850 would be a gtx 550 ti

Towls

Also, say i switch the 75$ 650W power supply with a 40-50$ 500-550W power supply, would i experince a difference in gaming or just in general?

oh and what setting would this go on? i am going for med-ultra :)

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
Better isn't a great choice of words, people will argue that both sides are better than the other. At different times in my life I have preferred nVidia for it's ease of use, and Radeon for it's customizability and better cost per performance. At this point in time, I prefer nVidia, but if you can find a better deal on a Radeon, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with taking the better deal. If the nVidia is cheaper, especially the GTX 550 Ti (amazing bang-for-the-buck ratio in this card) I would jump on it.

Deadhand

Also, say i switch the 75$ 650W power supply with a 40-50$ 500-550W power supply, would i experince a difference in gaming or just in general?
I wouldn't go below 650W, but I like having some overhead when it comes to PSUs. You should be fine with a 500 to 550W PSU for this build.

Towls

sorry for all the questions

What does the power supply do exactly? im a noob when it comes to computers :sadface:

Flamingtaco

Power supply gives electricity to all the parts in your pc. If its not high enough then you will encountr crashes or black screens. I would go no lower than 650 especially if you ever want to upgrade the machine even more. As for the cards, nvidia is a little better and I had a more stable experience with an nvidia card, but the 6870 I have gave me the power I wanted for mich cheaper.

Deadhand

Supplies measured and controlled electricity to the devices connected to it. You'll usually have a 4-pin (or 6) connection for the mobo, a 6-pin connection for a 550 Ti or 6850, then some molex or flat connectors for fans, drives, etc, but those don't have much of a draw. Long as you're not going SLi or Crossfire 650W is plenty, unless for some odd reason the mobo was power hungry (power user mobo with high customization for overclocking) or a newer GFX card, which take 8-pin or even multiple connections (my GTX 590 takes 8-pin x2).

Towls

so i should stick with the nvidia gtx 550 ti and the 650W then. Thanks DeadHand and FlamingTaco!

Towls

are any of these savings black friday savings or like past christmas savings? because i may be getting it mid-late december

Flamingtaco

Tigerdirect.com tends to have good deals on cards so I would check there before buying from newegg or amazon. Also for the holidays you mgt be able to snag a card with a free game download. Mine came with Deus Ex HR Good luck with your computer, customizing it can be a daunting task but its worth it