Spoiler Why the Dragonborn should be High King

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you think there should be a DLC related to becoming High King?

• Yes

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • I thought Elisif the Fair gets High Queen?

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • This is stupid... Burn in hell (I hope for none of these >:(...)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

The Laoch

He is the Prince of Order. Or was it biscuits?
I'm saying that it's unprecedented and extremely awkward to refer to the High King of Skyrim in lore documents as a nameless, genderless entity. You won't find anything analagous in the lore documents within or without the games.

Sheogorath is not a Breton and more importantly he isn't some vague unnamed person in the lore. "He" is a Daedric Prince. Gender as we know it isn't a concept shared by Daedric immortals as they can and have manifested as both genders on Nirn according to the lore. How he chooses to manifest his avatar on Nirn is completely irrelevant to his actual nature and, in point of fact, in Oblivion his avatar had his own unique race assigned to him that bore his name. In Shivering Isles the player character literally becomes Sheogorath. There's nothing vague or ambiguous about it. In general this is a complete non-example of an exception to what is made canon by Bethesda.

Putting a male Nord on the "cover" (there is no such thing on the cover, it was part of the advertising campaign) doesn't make it canon. The race of the Dovahkiin is not canonized by Bethesda and, consistent with the heroes of the other games, it never will be.
Oh course I was just trying to make the point that in lore you read about the hero of kvatch and etc. why couldn't they just say the last dragonborn took the mantle of high king and his descendants have ruled since etc etc.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
However, as people have already posted above, I have no real, legitimate claim to the throne.

Just because you're powerful doesn't entitle you to political dominance, they never made Shalidor High King for example.
The only way the Dragonborn could be crowned High King/Queen is through the support and selection of the people and Jarls.

..True..
Being the Dragonborn doesn't make you the 'True High King'. I think we all agree on the fact that you, according to law, are not the rightful king of Skyrim. But it's like Cylos said: support of a few important dignitaries could change that for you. And I think that's what this discussion is all about: Should they or should they not make you high king? They could do it, why not? You did so much for Skyrim and I think it would be polite if the jarls would even consider it.

Not that I want to be high king :)
But somewhere, deep inside of me, I think I deserve it :D

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Oh course I was just trying to make the point that in lore you read about the hero of kvatch and etc. why couldn't they just say the last dragonborn took the mantle of high king and his descendants have ruled since etc etc.
"His" descendants? You've simply illustrated the point about extreme awkwardness right there. It could easily be "her" descendants. There's no precedent for putting the central character of the games into that context because of it.

With the exception of one book, there isn't a single lore document within the games or published outside of it by Bethesda that doesn't refer to a historically noteworthy figure by their name and gender and, often, by their race. The one exception is The Oblivion Crisis introduced into the Elder Scrolls Universe in ES V which only does so for the Hero of Kvatch/Saviour of Bruma in that exact role. It is, in fact a very awkward read because of the limitations imposed by introducing the player character into a lore text and it's arguably the most awkward non-immersive read in the games

That being said, it has little impact because in the lore documents, the player character disappears into obscurity afterwards. That's not something one can do with the High King of Skyrim or any other similarly historically noteworthy figure in the game without it having a negative effect on immersion which is probably why references to the player character in the lore texts of the games are otherwise non-existent. I doubt they're going to break precedent here, especially when it would require them to depart from the additional precedent of not adopting one conflicting result over another that's based on player choice as canon.

Imperial_Templar

I have a theory I am unsure of. What if you ended up being a Reincarnated Tiber Septim?Then you could be Emperor of Skyrim if its canon that Mede and his cousin are assassinated by the DBH. Then there is no heir to the throne.

MrDSL

I would like to spend my days out at the college and rebuild Winterhold. All would be welcome especially Khajiit.

Because then Balgruuf The Greater wouldn't be High King of Skyrim !
I'm seeing a lot of this, because he's popular, and best known to players. I don't believe he's likely to win the Moot because of his long term Neutrality in the Civil War. The High King is voted in by the rest of the Jarls, and sitting on the fence likeat is a good way to alienate Both sides. It may be a Popularity Contest, but not based on the opinions of the Players. The Jarls are more likely to universally despise him for not taking their side, and using his indecision against him in their rhetoric. I guess that's why they never officially decide on a new High King, like all of the other games, the result hinges on the decisions, and actions of the Hero. One player's Dragonborn may side with Ulfric, the other Elisif (Through her alliance with the Empire) so it's pretty impossible to make either decision Canon.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Being a King sounds nice, but is it?
As a person of great importance you can not longer do quests or clear out dungeons. That would be too dangerous. Guards and housecarls will never leave your side and you will sit in a palace arranging things for the rest of your days...

If Bethesda is planning to make DLC about 'becoming King' it will probably be the very last DLC package. Because after that, your adventuring days are over...

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Couldn't you be a adventurer High King? The exception to the rule?

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Couldn't you be a adventurer High King? The exception to the rule?

What I don't like about Skyrim is the fact that your status (thane, Dragonbron, Imperial Legate) has no influence on NPC's. Maybe they get a few extra lines to their dialogue options but they still treat you as scum :D

Being and adventurer High King fits that description. Nothing changes because those down-to-earth Nords don't give a damn who you are. :D

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
What I don't like about Skyrim is the fact that your status (thane, Dragonbron, Imperial Legate) has no influence on NPC's. Maybe they get a few extra lines to their dialogue options but they still treat you as scum :D

Being and adventurer High King fits that description. Nothing changes because those down-to-earth Nords don't give a damn who you are. :D
that's true, I would like to be a true harbinger or a real guildmaster ;)

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
If there is a DLC which seals the fate of the Dragonborn, my theory is that they'll either:
  • Become the next Talos/ paragon of Talos (Divine)
  • Rejoin with Akatosh
  • If the Thalmor succeed in destroying Nirn, to restabilise it the Dragonborn will sacrifice themself to save Nirn. And then since we're so lovely Akatosh will bring us back, with his whole fancy shmancy time shizzle.
  • Travel to Akavir and drink tea with the Nerevarine
  • Create ice cream and bacon (seperately) and become the 10th divine, stronger than even the Daedra.

I think it's a possibilty the dragonborn does have a right to rule Skyrim.. there was a long line of Septim Emperors who were all born with the blood of the dragon.. we don't know of any lore or proof to prove the player can't be a descendant of said bloodline?
But either way, regardless of you playthrough.. the endless allies and political contacts the dragonborn can possibly make in-game would make it possible to rise to the throne.. being a thane and well known in each hold.. an outstanding friendship with the jarls of all holds.. you even saved Skyriim from the dragon attack and defeated Alduin the world eater..
all of this, along with the possible leadership of skyrim's main factions.. you could possibly be a king to remember.

ofcourse this is all hypothetical and everyone has their own opinions due to varied preferances, but i think it's definitely a subject not to rule out for any up-coming dlc's

And before anyone says anything, i know the Septim bloodline has nothing to do with being the High King of Skyrim, but it would be a legitimate claim to arise to emperor, therefor leading Skyrim.. one could possibly take said heritage and rather lead Skyrim alone than the Empire, it's all up to your imaginations to decide an outcome on the matter.

High King of Skyrim is a separate office from Emperor of Cyrodiil. The Dragonborn Emperors were of Cyrodiil, not Skyrim.

High King of Skyrim is a separate office from Emperor of Cyrodiil. The Dragonborn Emperors were of Cyrodiil, not Skyrim.

i swiftly corrected my mistake before you replied, but one could possibly use such a claim to further legitimize his claim to the throne of High King of Skyrim!

Karen

boop.
I've always imagined the Dragonborn as a brave, rugged and fierce warrior - definitely a hero, but I think being a hero and a ruler are very different things. Just because you're good at slaying dragons doesn't necessarily mean you have the knowledge to lead a province.

'Course, that's just my Dragonborn. I know I'd never want the position of High King/Queen.