Why I struggle to play any other character then the one I am …

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

St1ngray

My first Post, so.. HelloJ

Been reading these forums for a few days now as they have been of great help finding my feet in Skyrim, I am around level 20 but far from finishing any major questlines, I have tried to play the game without game changing mods, exploits or guides and explored everything that’s naturally come to my characters attention. That’s just a personal preference of playing it how it was intended, for better or for worse.

The reason I started this thread was because playing games like this I constantly find myself ending up playing the same sort of characters. Whenever I begin a journey thinking a powerful all out mage, or a Paladin or full on bad-ass moral-less Thief or assassin would be cool and fun, my real life self takes over somewhere along the line and I start making decisions the real me, not the character me would take! I always end up playing that all rounder, Ranger good guy type character in every game.
I wouldn’t say I am a roleplayer but I regular find myself in a position where I could easily steal something of high value, but choose not to simply because it’s immoral, I make decisions on armour or weapons equally on their looks and not just their rating. No matter how hard my intentions are to play a bad guy, I always end up choosing routes that only the righteous and good meaning people would take, and these are necessarily conscious decisions. I don’t go out thinking, this is the character I am playing, this is his backstory and these are the sort of decisions he would make… I just play… me.

My question to you guys is, is it just me or do other people experience this? How have your decisions to play a certain type of character far different from your real life persona played out, have you been freely able to enjoy it? It was just mere curiosity on my part to explore this subject.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Oh noes, someone who actually plays for the FUN of it, not to power-level or be a God among men!!

Honestly, I had to complete nearly all the content with a strict "build" in mind a couple times. Now I can actually relax and do what you are doing, just playing a character as if it were myself immersed in Tamriel.

Kudos to you! :D

***Edit:

Trust me, this way is far more enjoyable!

I can totally relate to this. I avoid Daedric quests entirely, and the only character I joined the Dark Brotherhood with dropped out after a few kills because I felt guilty about it. I know it's just a game, but I have a hard time killing unless it's self-defense. Even my first thief character turned out to be a Robin-Hood style hero of the downtrodden, targeting amoral NPCs for theft and turning down odd jobs when they targeted "good" NPCs.

The only time I've been able to get away from the straight and narrow was a crime lord RP build that I patterned after the movie Scarface. I looked at my playthrough as more of a movie, and made sure the character was the complete opposite of my own personality so I didn't identify with it too closely. This build required a follower at all times with low morals, so most of my "kills" of non-hostile NPCs were made by ordering my follower to attack.

sticky runes

I've created quite a few characters, and most of them are "good" guys. But it does get boring being the good guy after a while, so I'll switch to an evil character when i fancy it. By playing an assassin/thief/vampire, you get access to parts of the game that you've never seen before, including new areas to explore, people to meet and treasures and magical powers to discover that you would never find without crossing over to the dark side. You don't have to "force" yourself to follow a certain path in the game if you don't want to, but the possibilities are there and the curiosity will catch up to you.

Likewise, with skills. The archery thing is fun, but it gets boring after a while. so I have characters who steer well away from archery. I've got a character who sneaks up behind enemies and slits their throat instead of picking them off from a distance. I've got a character who doesn't bother with stealth and just charges in swinging his weapon like a maniac. I've even got a character who uses spells to make enemies fight each other.

So, enjoy the game however you want, just don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone from time to time.

St1ngray

I can totally relate to this. I avoid Daedric quests entirely, and the only character I joined the Dark Brotherhood with dropped out after a few kills because I felt guilty about it. I know it's just a game, but I have a hard time killing unless it's self-defense. Even my first thief character turned out to be a Robin-Hood style hero of the downtrodden, targeting amoral NPCs for theft and turning down odd jobs when they targeted "good" NPCs.

The only time I've been able to get away from the straight and narrow was a crime lord RP build that I patterned after the movie Scarface. I looked at my playthrough as more of a movie, and made sure the character was the complete opposite of my own personality so I didn't identify with it too closely. This build required a follower at all times with low morals, so most of my "kills" of non-hostile NPCs were made by ordering my follower to attack.

I total know what you mean, the idea of being a Dark Brotherhood assassin (EDIT: I will say "Hitman", after reading the thread about being a true assassin)..... really appeals to me, and I love the armour! But like you, it feels wrong to kill anyone without merit or reason, I want to only take contracts on those who deserve it ! I chuckled at your Robin Hood comment, because the amount of gold I have given to beggars that I felt I had not earned through honest means.
I have not yet got to these Daedric quests and know little about them, so it will be interesting given what you just said.

I am at peace with my character now, but I still have this itch that an overpowered mage looks so much fun... but it just isn't... for me, and I will never have the time & Patience to level a second character even if using glitches and cheats.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I too tried to come in to the game and play a certain type of character. Didn't work out that way. I am enjoying myself immensely, but, as I pointed out in an earlier thread, I have discovered that I indeed do have a very dark side to my personality. There's a certain schizophrenia I've discovered being the Mercenary Philanthropist. I enjoy the killing when it is cut and dry (like bandits, vampires, foreswarn, daegers - basically anything that's trying to kill me), but I also find that, as I've gone along, I'm killing people just for being jerks. Example: last night, after I completed the Dark Star Quest w/the elf mage, I tried to return the star up to Azura's site and, as I arrived, the priestess got snooty and nasty. I lost my temper and ran her through (taking the first soul for the DarkStar of course). Somehow, I didn't even feel guilty. It's gotten to the point that, even when one of the baddies says "Enough... Have mercy...", somehow, I just don't care. Hmmm... I wonder what this character is turning in to. One at a time on characters for me.

Of course, I have love to give money and do quests for beggers, drunks, children, families, et al... too and do them regularly. Thus the schizophrenia.

I agree with an earlier post that they just couldn't play more than one at once. I'm that way too. I figure, I'm only at 44, I've got a looooooong way to go yet (and I haven't even uploaded the DLCs - total 278 Questlines so far - main and other, along with a number of side things). I gonna be at this game forever! (I hope).

Drax Rifter

My first Post, so.. HelloJ

My question to you guys is, is it just me or do other people experience this? How have your decisions to play a certain type of character far different from your real life persona played out, have you been freely able to enjoy it? It was just mere curiosity on my part to explore this subject.

Hey St1ngray,

I think this is perfectly normal for a first or even third play though. You want to experience the game as yourself - that's cool.

Doing role playing right requires turning down certain story lines and that means cutting oneself off from a part of the game experience. This is much easier to accomplish when you've already played the game once or twice.

Two Bears

Play it, or any game, the way you want. If power leveling and reaching 81 (now nearly infinite) is your thing, do it. If you want to go role play heavy, do it. If you want to fast travel around and play it like Call of Duty, do that too. Just have fun.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Play it, or any game, the way you want. If power leveling and reaching 81 (now nearly infinite) is your thing, do it. If you want to go role play heavy, do it. If you want to fast travel around and play it like Call of Duty, do that too. Just have fun.
Absolutely! Wise advice Two Bears, very wise...

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
I hear you. I started out wanting to be a mage on one of my characters and then he changed into a thief. It just takes time to find that perfect character.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts