Why does everyone hate the Thalmor?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mirrored

Yeah, Altmer doesn't equal Thalmor.
I feel like Altmer = Thalmor is something a lot of the Nord's of Skyrim would think though lol.

Their views are terrible. They pretty much want to rule over everyone else, because they think they're much superior.
I do agree with them about the Talos thing, in that I don't think he should be considered a god. But I don't think Talos worship should be outlawed and something that could get you killed.

That being said, I still freaking love the Thalmor. Not gonna lie, it's mostly for the looks. The robes are cool, and the Altmer are pretty.

Well, as far as we know, Talos did actually become a god. In Oblivion, you need the 'blood of a divine' to complete a quest and blood from Tiber Septim's armor is used. Then in Knights of the Nine Talos' blessing allows the player to enter the spirit world and return. And of course, in Skyrim shrines to Talos behave just like shrines of the other divines. So there is ample evidence that Tiber Septim did manage to obtain godhood somehow.

Pete

I do find the Thalmor to be a very beautiful race. I love meeting Elenwen at the Embassy.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
No, I mean the Thalmor.

Thalmor are the ruling body of the Aldmeri Dominion. Altmer are a race, Thalmor are the Government.

It was said above that they are a minority, so its likely that they are doing whatever they can to survive.

They were a minority over two hundred years ago, they now control three provinces and have eliminated the competition. They even went over to Hammerfell to finish the job on Altmer dissidents, who fled them.

I wouldn't exactly call what they do in order to 'survive'. They invaded the Empire, and nearly destroyed it. They want to unmake the world, because they see Nirn/Mundas to be a prison. They maintain racial purity, because they want to resemble Aldmer.

They might not be the nicest race (I say race because they consider themselves pure blood) out there, but they have a backbone, that's for sure. Kill or be killed.

They're arrogant, extreme and the greatest threat to Tamriel. It wasn't kill or be killed for them, it was just kill because everyone is inferior.

chizzbot

I always kill Thalmor, and try to free their prisoners before they kill them. I usually throw them into a river if one is handy.

elias

From responses gathered here, it seems like a lot of people will literally kill them on sight. The thalmor typically give a warning to back off, just like the imperials and stormcloaks who roam around.

Really, I don't see what makes them any better or worse than the stormcloaks. They're both ultra-conservative and extremely racist.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Stormcloaks aren't racist, they're nationalistic.

Thalmor conduct racial purges, torture and kill any who question them.

There is a difference to a few slurs and flat out genocide.

Dovahkiir

Pretty much everyone hates the Thalmor. No question. When coming up with a backstory for characters, it has become common for folks to tie in the Thalmor in some negative way. Sure, they are elitists that are fundamentally responsible for the Imperial vs Storm cloak war, but they have a certain irresistible charm to them. They are both taller and faster than all of the other races, and at the same time they are natural born mages.

If you can't beat em, join em. Right?

I dont 'hate them I know too little about them. They're annoying but I can't say much more than that.

Stormcloaks on the other hand...

Stormcloaks aren't racist, they're nationalistic.

Thalmor conduct racial purges, torture and kill any who question them.

There is a difference to a few slurs and flat out genocide.

Nationistic and rascist?

Diffrerence of intent, or simply lacking the means to carry it out?

elias

In Windhelm, the nords force all of the dunmer to live in a tiny slum.

Most of these nords are, in fact, stormcloaks.

There is a fine line between nationalism and racism, and this definitely crosses that.

Mirrored

There is a fine line between nationalism and racism, and this definitely crosses that.

The idea that the Grey Quarter is a 'tiny slum' or that the Dunmer are actually confined there is debatable, but that would take this thread waaaay off topic.

elias

The idea that the Grey Quarter is a 'tiny slum' or that the Dunmer are actually confined there is debatable, but that would take this thread waaaay off topic.

Yeah, lol. Just sad it to try to help the cause. I might be exagerrating just a tad ;)

No, I mean the Thalmor.

Thalmor are the ruling body of the Aldmeri Dominion. Altmer are a race, Thalmor are the Government.

And it is justified for the empire to conquer everything
It was said above that they are a minority, so its likely that they are doing whatever they can to survive.

They were a minority over two hundred years ago, they now control three provinces and have eliminated the competition. They even went over to Hammerfell to finish the job on Altmer dissidents, who fled them.

I wouldn't exactly call what they do in order to 'survive'. They invaded the Empire, and nearly destroyed it. They want to unmake the world, because they see Nirn/Mundas to be a prison. They maintain racial purity, because they want to resemble Aldmer.

They might not be the nicest race (I say race because they consider themselves pure blood) out there, but they have a backbone, that's for sure. Kill or be killed.

They're arrogant, extreme and the greatest threat to Tamriel. It wasn't kill or be killed for them, it was just kill because everyone is inferior.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
The Thalmor are literally trying to unmake the world. At least, I'm pretty sure they are. Been awhile since I read up on it.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
The Thalmor are literally trying to unmake the world. At least, I'm pretty sure they are. Been awhile since I read up on it.
If unmaking the world means we'd be rid of Miley Cyrus, I can't say I'm all that against it.

Staff member

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass

Staff member

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass