• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
as an xbox player who does not have a decent p.c to play skyrim im jelous and envious off use p.c players with all they mods. evry few days i torment myself by going on youtube and watching they amazing mods. armor mods house mods fukin evry single mod ya can dream off. and heres one thing for evryone ive seen the armor mods many times how amazing they are. so how can modders make amazing weapons and armor. and bethseda who just released dragonborn cant make a single decent set of armor there all plopse i dont wear none of them they look like crap if i could burn the armor sets in my log fire i would. i defo need to invest in a decent p.c

Dallas-Arbiter

I was in your shoes once. I saw the nude body mods for Oblivion in early 2008, and I had no clue you could do that, so I saved up my money, and bought a PC. I still can't make a 3D model or a texture to save my life, but that's ok, there's so many super talented modders out there that can.

A word about why Bethesda can't do it is simple, they have deadlines. A modder might spend a month on the Normal maps (That's a hidden texture under the main one, gives an object detail and shine) An artist at Bethesda might have just a couple hours to do that. Also, Bethesda uses low res textures because the consoles really can't handle large hi res textures.

My advice? Save up every bit of money you can, and get a good PC. You won't regret it. You'll also be able to get the CK, and get to mess with anything in the game that you want.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
yea i suppose ure right there bethseda has an entire world to create where a modder can do one specific thing like create armor or a mount and put 100percent into it yea i had morrowind on p.c and used the construction set i loved it. is the skyrim one like that can u basikly make anything you want like morrowind. i was going to say why cant bethseda take the mods of the modders and use them but again u coverd that the consoles couldnt cope with the textures etc

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
I was in your shoes once. I saw the nude body mods for Oblivion in early 2008, and I had no clue you could do that, so I saved up my money, and bought a PC. I still can't make a 3D model or a texture to save my life, but that's ok, there's so many super talented modders out there that can.

A word about why Bethesda can't do it is simple, they have deadlines. A modder might spend a month on the Normal maps (That's a hidden texture under the main one, gives an object detail and shine) An artist at Bethesda might have just a couple hours to do that. Also, Bethesda uses low res textures because the consoles really can't handle large hi res textures.

My advice? Save up every bit of money you can, and get a good PC. You won't regret it. You'll also be able to get the CK, and get to mess with anything in the game that you want.
I'm in the same shoes as the OP and I was just wondering what kind of laptop you would recommend to run Skyrim as well as downloading and creating a decent amount of mods? I have been thinking about buying a mac book as they are obviously made by a trusted company and could (as far as I know) run Skyrim, but are there any others you would recommend? I know it would be best to buy a gaming computer, but I also need a practical computer.

My price range is around £1000, but I could possibly stretch to £1200 depending on how worthwhile the laptop would be. What do you think? Mac Book or another brand?

Thanks.

Saozig

Hippy
I'm kind of anti-Mac after seeing what my brother, a Mac devotee, has gone through, plus 5 years of working at my uni's computer lab, so I can't offer you much info on that.

But can you get a good gaming computer under £1000? You should be able to. Especially this time of year. If you can afford the money now, I'd wait for New Year's Day deals and maybe even settle for a model that is due to be replaced soon--if it's in the stores now, it will run Skyrim just fine despite whatever the salesperson or tech geeks tells you about the model coming out in the next month or so.

Years back I got my $1500 Toshiba gaming laptop for $800 in New Year's sale. Regardless to what people say about Toshiba, I've used one and like it. Good cust service too. It's just out of date (has Vista and its graphic aren't up to snuff anymore), and I dropped to about 20 times so now the HD is cranky. But hey, my brother dropped his Macbook ONCE and had to get a new one so I wouldn't complain.

As for specs, I'll let those who actually have played Skyrim on PC tell you. But if I could afford to get a new gaming PC right now I'd been watching for New Year's day bargains.

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
Well I am actually using a Toshiba at the moment and have had it for about three years now. It runs the internet reasonably, maybe with the odd freeze (and if used for too long it will begin to lag) but it has served me well. I just feel it is time for something that can do everything I want. That is part of the reason for me wanting to get a mac. While it would be able to run Skyrim great it will also be able to do all of the practical things such as homework and such. Thanks for the advice though Saozig!

zane

eh, I wouldn't recommend any laptop for top notch gaming =/

Laptops are portable so they cut costs and have to have tight layouts for heat control and power usage. now there are the big chunky laptops that are made for gaming but it still falls short to a pc tower that's around the same price of said laptop.

You can buy computer parts and save around 500 dollars for you computer, or buy a barebones kit and put it together yourself while saving around 250 dollars.

simply put there's a lot that you can get, but laptops will always be on the short side in terms of gaming.

anyway, I always suggest an i7 cpu processor, and a minimum of 6 to 8 gigs of ram.

graphics card can all be debatable, but the i7 and 8gigs of ram will serve you the main portion.

I myself do not have a gaming comp because I don't make that kind of money xD and I'm in school, but I've worked on people's machines, help put them together, and tested out friends comps constantly.

good luck =o (I'm trying to save up 800 for my parts to make one, but school keeps taking chunks of my money =( )

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts