• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FullmetalHeart20

So if you did the Season Unending quest, the Civil War is over. However, it's clear that everyone is ready to resume it when the dragon crisis is over. So who will pull the trigger?
Personally, I think it'll be Ulfric. Tullius seems the type to try diplomacy first. He'd figure that once the fighting stopped for a while, he can try non-militant ways to secure Skyrim. Ulfric will see war as the only way to secure his homeland, so he won't bother with anything else.

Falmer19

Ulfric says something along the lines of Attacking the Thalmor on their home turf, so I'm willing to bet the Empire will let him, then come into Skyrim and clean up shop, because there is no way the Stormcloaks have a chance against the Thalmor

FullmetalHeart20

Ulfric says something along the lines of Attacking the Thalmor on their home turf, so I'm willing to bet the Empire will let him, then come into Skyrim and clean up shop, because there is no way the Stormcloaks have a chance against the Thalmor
Yes, but he says that after the civil war. It's clear that neither if them is willing to just let it go, so I'm wondering who you think will restart the Empire/Stormcloak war.

Falmer19

Ooops, Read OP wrong. Ulfric will. He's a cocky arrogant person. He'd be the one to want to launch a preemptive strike, as the storm cloaks are geurillas.

Smarty

If you do the civil war quest line, Ulfric is the one who restarts it by attacking Whiterun. It could be argued that by accepting Tullius's troops, it was a provocation.

Yukari Yakumo

The Countless Violet Clouds
M'aiq hears many stories of war... yet few of them are true.

Wildroses

The way I play Skyrim, neither of them do. They remained gridlocked until both Tullius and Ulfric died of old age because both of them kept waiting for the Dragonborn to join their cause. Right up to their last breath, both were convinced s/he was just on the verge of doing so, but alas, the Dragonborn had far more important things to do than get involved with the Civil War, like pick flowers, play tag, and jump off cliffs while ethereal.

To take the question more seriously, I honestly feel it is 50-50. Under the right, easily imaginable circumstances I can picture both those gits re-starting it. Both are hot tempered, pig headed, utterly convinced of the rightness of their cause, disinclined to compromise, and unwilling to accept an unsatisfactory situation.

I'd agree Ulfric seems slightly more likely, but I seem to remember only time I did Season Unending Tullius ended by saying something about there being a reckoning once the dragon menace was over. Yeah, THATS a good sign for a long-lasting peace...

FullmetalHeart20

To be fair, Tullius seemed more agreeable in the face of the threat Alduin posed. Ironic, considering dragons were heavily ingrained in Nord culture and Ulfric should know exactly how screwed they were.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Well, let's say we did complete either the war sides:
-If Ulfric wins, when he takes over Solitude I believe he just lets the High Queen of Skyrim go, this could be the Empire's decision to take it back over if she and/or a few others send requests for reinforcements. Balgruuf is most likely to do so in order to take back Whiterun.
-If the Empire wins, Ulfric and his general are dead, it'll be their greatest admirers who are willing to put their foot down in order to take over where Ulfric left off.
-If the quest(s) wasn't completed, then you can say it's a draw/stale mate/post-poned and both sides are doing fine since the dragon crisis is over. Ulfric will then most likely take the first step to re-igniting the war.

Anwrise888

A very naughty naughty kinky mage....
I think the Aldmeri Dominion would manipulate both sides into a stalemate. If they do find out they have both been played, they will be to weakened to do anything about it.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I think the Aldmeri Dominion would manipulate both sides into a stalemate. If they do find out they have both been played, they will be to weakened to do anything about it.

They are playing both sides, they make sure Ulfric remains alive, they give aid to the Stormcloaks which would likely be weapons, money to continue fighting. They also hunt down Talos worship much more harder now, forcing more and more to join the Stormcloaks so they can continue to weaken the Empire. The Empire was already spread thin since bulk of their forces were along the Aldmeri Dominion border, which would mean the Legion has extended the defenses that were along Valenwood to include Esweyr. If you take a look at a map of Tamriel you can see exactly why they would be spread thin, the lines would more than likely start at Anvil with the Imperial navy, and then Legionnaires along the shore to stop any small Dominion boats from Valenwood in that river that runs from the sea to almost Arenthia, then all the way to the very edge of Elsweyr. That would indeed spread an army of thousands thin, large ground to cover.

mappagigante.jpg

How the Stormcloaks plan to attack the Dominion is just beyond me...

Anwrise888

They are playing both sides, they make sure Ulfric remains alive, they give aid to the Stormcloaks which would likely be weapons, money to continue fighting. They also hunt down Talos worship much more harder now, forcing more and more to join the Stormcloaks so they can continue to weaken the Empire. The Empire was already spread thin since bulk of their forces were along the Aldmeri Dominion border, which would mean the Legion has extended the defenses that were along Valenwood to include Esweyr. If you take a look at a map of Tamriel you can see exactly why they would be spread thin, the lines would more than likely start at Anvil with the Imperial navy, and then Legionnaires along the shore to stop any small Dominion boats from Valenwood in that river that runs from the sea to almost Arenthia, then all the way to the very edge of Elsweyr. That would indeed spread an army of thousands thin, large ground to cover.

mappagigante.jpg

How the Stormcloaks plan to attack the Dominion is just beyond me...
I would think Ulfric would try to gain alliance with Hammerfell. They both have alot in common and a common enemy. With Skyrim lumber and resources/Redguard ship building and naval experience. They can easily use raiding tactics on the straits between the Summerset Isles and Valenwood. Cutting the Dominion in half.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I would think Ulfric would try to gain alliance with Hammerfell. They both have alot in common and a common enemy. With Skyrim lumber and resources/Redguard ship building and naval experience. They can easily use raiding tactics on the straits between the Summerset Isles and Valenwood. Cutting the Dominion in half.

Except for the Skyrim for the Nords and the not buying from Non Nords would limit their trading and alliance making. I think there probably has been bad blood between Skyrim and Hammerfell since before the Oblivion crisis when Skyrim invaded and killed thousands of Redguards and Bretons taking many miles of land during the Imperial Simulacrum.

Anwrise888

Except for the Skyrim for the Nords and the not buying from Non Nords would limit their trading and alliance making. I think there probably has been bad blood between Skyrim and Hammerfell since before the Oblivion crisis when Skyrim invaded and killed thousands of Redguards and Bretons taking many miles of land during the Imperial Simulacrum.
Stranger things have happend in war. America and the USSR. But something tells me that the Dominion will not be as foolish as the Germans. But they will likely get drunk off their own succses. It still looks like the Dominion has its act together while the humans still fumble in the dark.