• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I miss a few things from Oblivion, some things from Morrowind too. I want my Dwemer Boots of Flight back. But Skyrim is not Oblivion. The Arena is part of Imperial culture, not Nordic. While there could be smaller arenas in any Imperial Province, you wouldn't find anything near the scale you would find in the imperial capital.

It's hard to say if the practice would have even remained popular in imperial culture. Do recall that Skyrim takes place several hundred years after Elder Scrolls IV.

Arthur Swift-Sword

Swift. Like a Sword.
Totally agree. There are mods for an Arena but it just dont feel right. I would have loved for there to be an illegal fight club in the Ratways or something.

Thallik the Orc

Blacksmith
Arenas are a notorious cornerstone of the Imperial culture, why would they be in the Nordic homelands? I mean I guess it would make sense to have an Imperial Arena in Solitude since it's crawling with them, but I doubt it would draw a larger audience anywhere else.

Xarnac

Gladiatorial teams are in the (pre lore reboot) lore history of every race. A Nord themed arena would fit perfectly. As a themed arena/fighting pit/proving grounds/gauntlet/etc. would fit perfectly in any province of Tamriel. The Vivec Arena in Morrowind for example was very different from the Imperial Arena in Oblivion. There's no real reason not to have such a mechanic in game.

Gladiatorial teams are in the (pre lore reboot) lore history of every race. A Nord themed arena would fit perfectly. As a themed arena/fighting pit/proving grounds/gauntlet/etc. would fit perfectly in any province of Tamriel. The Vivec Arena in Morrowind for example was very different from the Imperial Arena in Oblivion. There's no real reason not to have such a mechanic in game.
i totally agree with you many places in britain had arenas not just the romans

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin

I believe the arena in Vivec City was there to provide a forum to settle matters of personal or house honor, not to stage lavish gladiatorial spectacles to amuse the masses like in Cyrodiil. You are right, it is another totally separate example of an arena in another culture.

I would have liked to have seen a small stage arena in Skyrim. Sort of a proving ground for nord combatants that have aspirations to eventually make it to the big leagues in Cyrodiil. At the height of the games in Rome, nearly every city in the empire had its own small arena or free space where temporary gladiator pit could be constructed. That's including cities in regions that were not ethnically roman.

Seeing some sort of arena system would have made a good deal of sense. But, like I said before, a few centuries have passed since Elder Scroll IV. The popularity of the games may have lessened, or they may have been banned outright. We don't know what the climate is.

I believe the arena in Vivec City was there to provide a forum to settle matters of personal or house honor, not to stage lavish gladiatorial spectacles to amuse the masses like in Cyrodiil. You are right, it is another totally separate example of an arena in another culture.

I would have liked to have seen a small stage arena in Skyrim. Sort of a proving ground for nord combatants that have aspirations to eventually make it to the big leagues in Cyrodiil. At the height of the games in Rome, nearly every city in the empire had its own small arena or free space where temporary gladiator pit could be constructed. That's including cities that were not ethnically roman.

Seeing some sort of arena system would have made a good deal of sense. But, like I said before, a few centuries have passed since Elder Scroll IV. The popularity of the games may have lessened, or they may have been banned outright. We don't know what the climate is.
wouldnt it be stated in the lore that if it was banned in skyrim at the time then it would say so unless it is stated in the lore then it is entirely possible

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
wouldnt it be stated in the lore that if it was banned in skyrim at the time then it would say so unless it is stated in the lore then it is entirely possible

There's no mention of the gladiatorial games at all, that I know of. Aside from the famous quote by Gaiden Shinji in one of the load screens. Absence of proof is not proof of absence, and I'm in no way claiming the games were banded from the provinces. I'm stating that a lot of time has passed, the gladiatorial games may not be as culturally significant as they once were. We don't know what the situation is.

Xarnac

I would have liked to have seen a small stage arena in Skyrim. Sort of a proving ground for nord combatants that have aspirations to eventually make it to the big leagues in Cyrodiil. At the height of the games in Rome, nearly every city in the empire had its own small arena or free space where temporary gladiator pit could be constructed. That's including cities in regions that were not ethnically roman.

It wasn't just for duels, but yes, that is what made it different.

Each city had a gladiatorial team. If it were banned, that's all the more reason to have one and helps flesh it out and differ it from previous arenas. It would be similar to a fight club (not the Ob fight club), but on a grander scale. You could even have the Civil war effect it. It could be like a gauntlet, or anything. The less it is like the previous arenas, the better.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts