Who is not going to play TESO?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

O__Dragon__O

Old Guy Joe
Me for one, I own a PS3, because of the abilities it has and the fact that you don't need a monthly subscription to use it Online.
When I heard about an ES game coming out as multi-player, I got really excited as me and some friends used to comment how much we would like to join forces and play online.
Well the monthly subscription completely ruined it for us.
Me personally can not except the fact of paying an avg. of $60.00 per new game only to have a monthly charge of $15.00 to use the same game. Which if you do the math for a year, at the monthly rate it would cost you an extra $180.00 just to use the game you have already purchased. I know they will have yearly subscription discounts etc... but even if you saved $100.00 on discounts it would still be $80.00 PER year to enjoy the game already purchased. NO THANK YOU!
I will NOT be playing TESO. Unless they drop the monthly subscription.

Edit: I am by no means, knocking the game down, I am just stating my opinion. I would love to play Online, if it were without the subscription.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
I will not because I cannot afford a new gaming computer, the game itself, and the sub fee altogether. Also the recently released pre order thing with the B.S. Imperial Race. That said, i prefer it with the subscription fee if they get rid of the imperial pay gate in the pre-order. It ensures no further pay gates, a generally more mature community, a well staffed support, more content in the future, and much more. If I could afford it, I would definitely play it. But I can't, so...

Sparky04

I watched the beta video and while pretty, it didn't thrill me. If after it gets established and is good I might give it a try at some point, but for now no. It's too big an investment to try and not enjoy tbh.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I have no plans to do so and it has more to do with the multiplayer aspect than the subscription fee. Elder Scrolls games have always been single player experiences. I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim but the principle is the same. I enjoy them because it's MY world to do what I want. If I want to run around killing everyone, I can. I can steal them all blind. When you introduce multiplayer, it's not the same. There will be missions/quests and grinding to achieve higher ranks. No thanks.

The other, more ugly aspect, is people who enjoy making other people miserable by hacking the system. And I'm sure they WILL find a way to do it. I've heard GTA Online is a mess due to this and have no interest in that either.

O__Dragon__O

Old Guy Joe
I have no plans to do so and it has more to do with the multiplayer aspect than the subscription fee. Elder Scrolls games have always been single player experiences. I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim but the principle is the same. I enjoy them because it's MY world to do what I want. If I want to run around killing everyone, I can. I can steal them all blind. When you introduce multiplayer, it's not the same. There will be missions/quests and grinding to achieve higher ranks. No thanks.

The other, more ugly aspect, is people who enjoy making other people miserable by hacking the system. And I'm sure they WILL find a way to do it. I've heard GTA Online is a mess due to this and have no interest in that either.
And these are points I have not brought up but also very relevant to my dislike also. I have played the C.O.D. series and each one of the games are ruined due to hackers.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I pretty much agree with the above posts. It's not something I'm interested in at this point.

I'd add that the other disappointing thing I found out is that the 'mega-servers' are platform restricted, meaning that my friend who is on XBox can't play with those of us on PC or PS4 or vice-versa. Is this sort of restriction common in MMO games now?

O__Dragon__O

Old Guy Joe
I pretty much agree with the above posts. It's not something I'm interested in at this point.

I'd add that the other disappointing thing I found out is that the 'mega-servers' are platform restricted, meaning that my friend who is on XBox can't play with those of us on PC or PS4 or vice-versa. Is this sort of restriction common in MMO games now?
Always has been this way. With any Online game I ever played it is platform restrictive.

Lucid

MMO negatives > MMO positives.

This. I've never loved MMO gaming, not for a lack of trying.

I'll break down and give TESO a shot I'm sure, but I'm not going to jump on the release. (which is in no way to my continued sulking over my failure to be granted a beta key ;))

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
You guys have already said the reasons I'm not going to be getting TESO.

But the real question is... I've seen a lot of negativity towards the game. You think it's going to fail? I'm betting it won't, but I don't know. I've been told that BioWare's The Old Republic MMO failed and I thought that was going to be huge.

Kaelbu

My main reasons for not participating are:
1.) I don't have the funds for the subscription. There are many monthly fees that must come first.
2.) I don't have an internet connection besides the data plan on my iPhone. I may not have one for a while. That's kind of big when it comes to MMOs.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I do sort of like the customized adventure and RP of single player. With no pressure to keep ranking up or find the best gear. A lot of MMOs have made me feel like I'm working more than playing.

zuko514

the whole thing with imperial race is bull plops. you would imagine with the monthly fee,you can avoid those type of thing.
I do not have the money for a new console, game and the monthly fee.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
But the real question is... I've seen a lot of negativity towards the game. You think it's going to fail? I'm betting it won't, but I don't know. I've been told that BioWare's The Old Republic MMO failed and I thought that was going to be huge.

My guess is that it won't be as popular as the current Skyrim game.

Seems like everyone's jumping on the bandwagon to turn their games into MMO cash-cows these days, while missing the point of having both an online and offline mode, which would appeal to the masses.

Diablo 2 was the best example of this back in the day.

JoeReese

I have been really excited about TESO since I first found out about it. That being said, I plan to wait until it's out and running, and then try to find a friend to let me play for a few hours. If it's worth the $15 then, I'll play it. If not, well...

I have two primary concerns about it, though I hadn't even thought about the platform restrictions before, which is certainly something else to consider. Mainly, is this game going to be like Skyrim, the worst-possible combination of 'addictively brilliant' and 'disappointingly half-assed'? Skyrim, if they would have put just a little more effort into quality control, could be the best game I've ever seen, but it's hard to classify something so infuriatingly flawed as the best. If it was a "meh" game, where I could take it or leave it, then the flaws might not bother me so much. But the concept, the graphics, most of the execution, mostly outstanding...and then you freeze...and freeze again...and freeze some more, when you're not busy doing the slow-motion stutter step, a sure precursor to freezing.

The second, and this may just be my MMO ignorance, is this game going to be like so many others, where you can play standard, but little Johnny and his mommy's debit card are always going to steamroll you, because people can just buy their way to victory? If that's the case, I'm not interested.

I'm hoping neither of these things will turn out to be a problem. The youtube clips look a little more like Oblivion to me than Skyrim, so I'm hoping maybe it will be less resource-consuming and a little more smooth and reliable. If I'm really lucky, there will be a bit more freedom than in Skyrim, such as deciding where you want that weapons rack, rather than take-it-or-leave-it, as it is in Skyrim.

We shall see, I suppose.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I would rather them have done some sort of Diablo-esque co-op than the MMO thing. My friend did one of the later betas and the game looks incredible but it didn't do much at that point to stand out amongst a bunch of competitors that have been doing the same thing for much longer. It did a good bit of stuff worse.

I may get into it at some point if it gets better than what early glimpse I saw. If it doesn't though, I don't foresee longevity for it.

I'd rather be getting TES 6.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Look up ShoddyCast on YouTube. They are very insightful and offer very good opinions.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I have been really excited about TESO since I first found out about it. That being said, I plan to wait until it's out and running, and then try to find a friend to let me play for a few hours. If it's worth the $15 then, I'll play it. If not, well...

I have two primary concerns about it, though I hadn't even thought about the platform restrictions before, which is certainly something else to consider. Mainly, is this game going to be like Skyrim, the worst-possible combination of 'addictively brilliant' and 'disappointingly half-assed'? Skyrim, if they would have put just a little more effort into quality control, could be the best game I've ever seen, but it's hard to classify something so infuriatingly flawed as the best. If it was a "meh" game, where I could take it or leave it, then the flaws might not bother me so much. But the concept, the graphics, most of the execution, mostly outstanding...and then you freeze...and freeze again...and freeze some more, when you're not busy doing the slow-motion stutter step, a sure precursor to freezing.

The second, and this may just be my MMO ignorance, is this game going to be like so many others, where you can play standard, but little Johnny and his mommy's debit card are always going to steamroll you, because people can just buy their way to victory? If that's the case, I'm not interested.

I'm hoping neither of these things will turn out to be a problem. The youtube clips look a little more like Oblivion to me than Skyrim, so I'm hoping maybe it will be less resource-consuming and a little more smooth and reliable. If I'm really lucky, there will be a bit more freedom than in Skyrim, such as deciding where you want that weapons rack, rather than take-it-or-leave-it, as it is in Skyrim.

We shall see, I suppose.
if by resource consuming you mean the way the game performes then you should know a few things

the lighting is very good but..... the textures and art style are horrible so its should play like Oblivion or a little bit harder then that but not as hard as skyrim though also the engine the game is being developed on is very optimized so that's why they say it can run on even old PCs now Skyrims creation engine is very advanced however it is not very optimized.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Its like going around killing every citizen for the thrill of it you can do that in Skyrim but not in an MMO because there is no reload option because the game is always live, as regards to whether I shall play ESO or not well that depends personally I am more looking forward to Beyond Skyrim that is being developed by Dark Creations and Skywind that is being developed by the Morrowblivion team and unlike ESO they wont cost a Cent.