Who is, in your opinion, the best follower in terms of ability and why?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Also, housecarls aren't at all the best melee followers, and if you ask anyone they could be some of the worst. Farkas and vilkas aremsome of the better ones. It's obvious from your posts that you haven't had many followers, and don't know ANY of their actual statistics. Lydia is actually one of the worst followers.
It's obvious that you're completely clueless about follower statistics. You can see them in the Creation Kit and they are summarized here. It's clear that the Housecarls statistics are better than either Vilkas or Farkas. Further I can personally attest to the fact that a Housecarl equipped properly can kill literally everything in the game single handedly at Master difficulty setting be it Ancient Dragons, a pack of level 30-50 Forsworn or a herd of Giants and Mammoths. Both Jordis and Lydia have done so several times for my characters. Just because you're clueless about how to use them efficiently doesn't change the statistically undeniable fact that they are the best melee fighters among followers in the game if you actually know what you're doing.

It's obvious that you're completely clueless about follower statistics. You can see them in the Creation Kit and they are summarized here. It's clear that the Housecarls statistics are better than either Vilkas or Farkas. Further I can personally attest to the fact that a Housecarl equipped properly can kill literally everything in the game single handedly at Master difficulty setting be it Ancient Dragons, a pack of level 30-50 Forsworn or a herd of Giants and Mammoths. Both Jordis and Lydia have done so several times for my characters. Just because you're clueless about how to use them efficiently doesn't change the statistically undeniable fact that they are the best melee fighters among followers in the game if you actually know what you're doing.

My horse could kill Lydia at level 50, and I have full confidence in that. This conversation is over with that. By the way, I do know a bit about character staistics, but I don't feel a need to argue with that.

However, aside from farkas and vilkas both being far better at the warrior tank follower type, as well as mjol the lioness whom I forgot to mention, character is also important in having followers. For example, I use mjoll, Cicero, and erandur quite a bit. Although these people aren't perfect, they provide decent cover in their fields of expertise, tank the if and magic. They also provide commentary along the way, and have more interesting personalities. For example, can't it get tiring hearing the whole sworn to carry your burdens thing.

But with the point of stats, Lydia is intentionally made to be overall decent, as she is good in all areas, sneak, archery, etc. This lead a to some weakness later in the game, as she is too well rounded to be particularly good at anything. More specific characters who stick to one archetype end up being those who survive, and actually dish out some damage.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
By the way, I do know a bit about character staistics, but I don't feel a need to argue with that.
Then why did you make and why do you continue to make claims that are only indicative of ignorance about their statistics?

The fact that you think that Farkas makes a better tank is laughable. Farkas is completely messed up because he should be classed as a two handed fighter but he's classed as a thief instead. He has zero Heavy Armor skill and his Two-Handed skill is pathetic. On top of that he has less Health than any of the Housecarls

But with the point of stats, Lydia is intentionally made to be overall decent, as she is good in all areas, sneak, archery, etc. This lead a to some weakness later in the game, as she is too well rounded to be particularly good at anything. More specific characters who stick to one archetype end up being those who survive, and actually dish out some damage.
Total logic failure. The Housecarls are not "overall decent" nor are they "too well rounded to be good at anything". They are very efficient at killing everything at all ranges, hence my statement based on first hand experience using them that they can kill literally everything in the game on their own. They have 100 Heavy Armor and Blocking skill making them unsurpassed sword and shield tanks. They have 100 One-Handed skill and 98 Archery skill so they can kill with great efficiency in both close combat and ranged combat. Among the level 50 followers they have the highest Health of any followers, greater than even Vilkas which is why you're statement:
Also, vilkas is overall better than lydia, even according to your article.
Is just further evidence of your inability to comprehend follower statistics.
They also provide commentary along the way, and have more interesting personalities. For example, can't it get tiring hearing the whole sworn to carry your burdens thing.
That's merely your opinion and it's also completely irrelevant to the discussion about which followers are the best in terms of combat.

Okay, so I'm very tired, so I'd like to end this conversation for some sleep. But I did enjoy this talk, and I am happy tom say that you did teach me something, which is not too common skyrimwise. Now I ow that Lydia is actually a bit better than farkas, and although I wont use her after my bad experience, I will note that She isn't as bad as I thought, and I did just have a bad experience. I do enjoy talking with people who actually know skyrim a fair bit, so I did prolong the conversation a bit. Bye

SilverJay

I have three followers at the moment, one being Mjoll the Lioness (I don't know if she can die but she hasn't failed me yet), Barbas (the invincible dog, and although he is quite annoying and bad for sneaking, he is my favorite follower), and Serana (from dawnguard). Serana can't die (I don't think), and even though she follows me, I can still have Mjoll. I find that awesome :D

nomorepork

That was a left at Dragonbridge, right?
Followers...meh, regularly don't use them 'no mo'...

Long ago, the only reason why I kept calling on Lydia early on was for her sparkling U-Haul trailer traits. Extremely helpful when looting, mind you. But as the level of my character rose, Lydia's own skills apparently did not follow suit. Even with upgraded armor and tools, she too often found a way to go all 'suicide bomber', except without the 'bomber' part. Ultimately I simply got bone tired of her death wish antics, and typically parked her OUTSIDE of any site that I was exploring. Then as my carrying abilities rose I got tired of bringing her along, period. Especially after understanding that I could haul around an unlimited amount of spoils--albeit slowly--and still fast travel as long as I had a horse waiting nearby.

I also discovered that after confining the poor gal to Breezehome for as long as I did, she completely lost all ability to carry any extra weight above what she was already carrying. Guess all of that bread that she's constantly nibbling on while she loiters on the second floor DOES add up after all, proving that too many carbs really are NOT good for one's body...even in video games. I've used one or two followers since Lydia just for the heck of it, but even then my character's ever improving lone eagle abilities even made using them superfluous.

ShadowGambit

With my assassin: no follower... they mess up my sneak.

With my Necromancer Heavy Armored, I go with Eola. But she is not alone. I got my undead, my 2 Dead Thrall (witch are also summoners, so that has their own zombies), Eola and her zombies...

That makes a lot of "followers"... and I think it is the best LOL

Omega Dragon

I've generally hated followers, but of all the ones I've used, Aela the Huntress and Mjoll the Lioness are the only ones seemingly useful in my experience. Never cared for Lydia, though.

#1 Jenassa. pretty much the second one you get a chance to meet/recruit, 500 septims, a pretty damned good archer, and the best dual wielder in the game. Too bad she won't use any other bows, but she will kill for you, steal for you, sneaks at least as well, and if you want someone to keep your bed warm "I don't do that sort of work." Personality counts for something too, and she's got some of the best lines/commentary.

Do the DBH, give her Windshear, the BoW, and break out the popcorn. With that combo, she doesn't need armor, and you don't have to help, just point her in the general direction of the enemy, and let her fly. Keep Dragonrend handy to bring them down to where she can stunlock them, and steal their health, that's about it.

#2 Mjoll the Lioness. Doesn't sneak, hates thieves with a passion, and has some difficulties at the beginning making her work. First, you have to go get her Sword, which is at the bottom of a Falmer Infested Dwemer ruin that reportedly nearly killed her. Real easy to find, it's on that pedestal next to a Large Dwemer Plate, and a Steam Centurion. There's also a sphere guardian just to make it interesting. "Whew, that was fun!" You're not done yet. Unfortunately, the noodle incident resulted in her picking up a Ducky. You ever seen 16 Candles? Yeah, that one. Now, why is this a problem? Weeeell, ya see, he sucks in combat, unarmed, and unarmored, yet has a nasty habit of following her to his inevitable death. Here's the rub, if she see's his body, she gets real down, doesn't want to talk, and Will Never Follow You Again the Rest of the GAME!i! Yay.

So worth it though. Heavy Armor, 1, or 2 handed, masher of the tank, and she can't die! A bit chatty is all, but more than makes up for it by holding off Giants while you hang back and shoot them from safety. You just have to
assassinate Aerin, and get rid of the body without her seeing it. Not all that hard, tell her to "Wait here" by the back door to the Blackbriar Meadery, engage him in a conversation, walk through the door so he follows you for once, and you know, float his body off in the general direction of Goldenglow.
If not for her complications, she would be tied with Jenassa.

Once you've done all that, go do the Cursed Tribe, kit her out in full Orkish, or Uthgerd's Plate Steel, give her Volendrung, and clean out Forelhost for Rahgot. Done, son! Get out your bow, and try to keep up. Again, Dragonrend as needed to ground them, then Tank&Spank until you have it's soul. It's almost a shame that you can't take her with to Sovngard, but the 3 tongues make up for it.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
My customised pet Chaurus Reaper that I made in the Creation kit. (I didn't overpower him though, he generally can't take on a Dragon by himself).

When I played on the xbox though, Jordis the sword maiden was my favorite, as she could pretty much tank through anything, plus had a nice personality to boot.

Somohexual

Argis the Bulwark, the houescarl from Markarth, without a doubt. I love his voice actor, he isn't as annoying as Lydia, and as his name implies he makes a wonderful tank. Argis + Twin Souls = I'm never attacked, even on Master. xP

EDIT: I like how he's hyper-aggressive like Orc followers are too because he wont run away when his health is low and he'll chase down ranged attackers or runners without hesitation.

Zefeh

Eola from the 'Taste of Death' quest is pretty good. I was smiling throughout that whole quest (*dark chuckles*). If you let her life etc. shes a pretty good conjurer and mage. Always summons a flame atronach in a fight, revives the dead and likes lightening. Plus, who wouldn't wanna have their own personal cannibal at their beck and call? :D

Alpha86

Been using Marcurio a lot lately. Last night I came across a lone bandit wanting me to pay a toll. After I told her to F off Marcurio shot her with a lightning bolt and sent her flying about 30 feet in the air. I lol'd hard.

RTSullivan-DragonBorn

Premium Member
Serana, although the sun comments are starting to grate. Yes Serana it's bright, deal with it.

Monopoly

Gypsy Panther
I dont really use followers much, except for in really difficult dungeons. I usually go with a Mage.
The one by the Shrine of Azura is great, as is Marcurio.

VonCrown

Sorry, but Lydia is basically the worst follower aside from that knot beard guy. A regular draugr killed her for me at level 7. She's really only good for guarding breeze home, since I don't use breezehome.

Anyway, I like Erandur as a Mage. He makes a good spellsword if you give him decent armor, and he give more unique dialogue without talking to the point that you cant hear important things, like mjoll does.
This is because you got her early in the game. Followers level to the level you are when you first meet them. So she was level 7 at most. if you hold off on getting her (Or reset her level, I'll get to that) she can be up to level 50.

If you wabbajack a follower so they turn into something, when they turn back it'll be like you're meeting thm again, in terms of level at least.

Or, if you're on the PC, there are great follower mods about that automatically level your followers for you.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts