Who else thinks Bethesda should design the first full virtual reality MMORPG?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Black Cloud N9ne

Article Writer
If Bethesda were to make a MMORPG out of the Elder Scrolls series, I think it could have potential to be great. The only way I can see it work is it being a modern version of Arena(think Skyrim's combat system and visual graphics implemented into it) with the way characters were built in Morrowind(attributes, classes, birthsigns).

I agree with the combat, but I quite enjoy the perk system. Always have.

My opinion? When I die, I want to go to Skyrim. :)

No thanks. Immersion is the game element I prize most in Bethesda games ( from Morrowind on). To mmo-ize it would introduce thousands of players into my gamespace utterly destroying the immersion. Realistically you could expect to have players running around with character names from star wars, final fantasy, dbz, etc. You could also be sure to have obnoxious, off- color remarks in chat.

I like MMO's too, but its nice to have a quality series like the Elder Scrolls that I can play and keep all to myself.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I've seen this Topic alot.

I have some questions though, to those who really want an RPG made from the Elderscrolls,

Would it be ok with you if:

You couldn't use Dragon Shouts on any players or vendors or npcs?
You couldn't move items out in the world?
You couldn't use "Time slows" like "Focusing Arrows" and "Sheild block"?
You would have to wait on a timer to fight a bandit camp you find?
You would find no Treasure out in the world from just exploring?

I've thought about this. Truth is Every "MMORPG" is birthed from the open world RPG. The problem is when they went "MMO" they had to put restriction on the "Open World". The Original Everquest was " Daggerfall as an MMO" when it came out. After that, games had to go a certain direction for them to work as an MMO and not just an RPG>. If you took SKryim and made it a true open MMORPG to the public, after all the changes where made to convert it to that, it would just be World of Warcraft or these World of Warcraft equivelants. Believe me, all these Big Money Game Companies would LOVE to create a "Skryim online" type of game, but the reason they haven't isn't because they didn't research doing it.

One that was closer to an Elderscrolls MMO was a game called Darkfall. It was an Indy Idea to have and do anything you wanted. You even had Player Made Villages with working Stores and things players would run..... Know what happened? It became nothing but a PVP Fest despite all its features lol.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
No thanks. Immersion is the game element I prize most in Bethesda games.....
Are you implying that having a 13 year old train an entire camp of Forsworn on you with his character named "IHAXXORZJOO" so he can ninjaloot the corpse of the boss you just killed while shouting "hahahahaha suck my #$%@#$%# you %$@$% NOOB!" would somehow disturb your sense of immersion? :)

another thing about MMO's, is max level, it all becomes about the end-game, and that's not something I want to see in an TES game.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
I agree with the combat, but I quite enjoy the perk system. Always have.

My opinion? When I die, I want to go to Skyrim. :)
Don't get me wrong, I love the perk system. I just feel that because it's much easier to overpower your character with it, the idea of it being added into an MMORPG would be exactly like what was shown in the South Park episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft", except everybody would be able to do this.

krakenjack

I highly doubt that sort of technology will be available anytime soon (that is assuming you mean complete virtual submersion of the senses with complete interaction) and the closest technology we have now isn't really worth it (unless you have more money than god, if god had money...).

Closer than you think...

Ilrita

The Imperial Storm
If you mean something similar to Sword Art Online technology, I hope no one ever does manage to build it. Though I suppose if one was going to do it, I would want Bethesda to do it, or maybe Sony/Square Enix.