which one is your favorite hold in skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
The Rift. I love the Riften to Windhelm run through the forest and past the steaming pools. Favourite place is Riften, most traders and thieves guild hq. Worst is Windhelm. Too confusing. Too much stone and too much snow. Plus the bugged Blood on the Ice quest made me hate the place even more.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Falkreath Hold, mainly because it slightly reminds me of my favorite place in Oblivion, the Colovian Highlands. While nothing will ever compare to the Highlands in Cyrodiil, the pine forest in Skyrim just has a nice feel. I miss Colovia though.

Colovian_Highlands.jpg

He'd seen the glory, he'd told the story
of battles glorious and deeds victorious
but now he's sighing, his heart is crying
to leave those green hills of Tyrol

Because those green hills are not Highland hills
or the island hills
they're not my land's hills
and fair as these green foreign hills may be
they are not the hills of home.

Rinn

Sweetroll Kleptomaniac
It's a really hard choice to make since I like a lot of places in Skyrim.

I like Whiterun for its plains and well-decorated city. It looks as a busy and wealthy city to me, but feels like a smaller, cozy community, somehow. Also, the Eldergleam looks amazing when it's in bloom.

The Rift's landscapes have to be my favourite, though. It has all these pretty colours and looks amazing to me. With the atmosphere and graphic improvement mods it looks even better. I really like to stroll around in The Rift.

Winterhold is because of the snow, obviously. I love snow since it cleanses the environment from all its plain and uglyness. Walking there through the snowflakes is great. Winter is my favourite season as well :)

Solitude's city is just awesome, because it really shows that it is a big, solid and secure city. It's the capital of the Imperials in Skyrim and you can really see that in the architecture of the buildings.

The only Holds I don't like are Markath and Morthal. Markath is so far away and hard to reach. The mountains are a bit dull to me in the area. Morthal is just... Morthal. Nothing really interesting. Just Morthal being Morthal.

Two Bears

I like The Pale; it's a lot like how Skyrim looked back in Arena. All that snow, those pine trees; reminds me of the old days. A close second would be Hjaalmarch. I just kind of dig the creepy frozen salt marsh.

BoundByTheWolfBlood

Defiler of the Dead.
The Rift I want to make it a better place! <3

Sulekha

The Rift, with its autumnal feel is beautiful to ride or walk through. I also love the open and warm expanse of Whiterun hold. Falkreath hold with its towering pines is also becoming a favourite area, especially with the Lakehouse views.

Can you tell I dislike the cold? I have enough of that in RL.

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
I gotta say the Rift because I really like Riften and how they have the river go through the town and the whole city gives this sense of this huge man-made dock that has two levels one on top of each other. I also really like the thieves guild and how they kinda have this town underneath the city. Outside of Riften, I really like Golden Glow estate because its like a miny island fortress. Then, there are the small mining towns surrounding the area and there are some really nice wooded areas. I also like the town of Ivarstead which is in the Rift and I'm not sure what hold High Hrothgar is, but Ivarstead is the gateway there so it kind of is in the Rift and High Hrothgar and the Throat of the World are very amazing and breathtaking sites.

Rainbow

Criminal Scum
I'd say the Rift, since it's one of the few holds that isn't covered in snow, and the colors are gorgeous.

Least favorite is Markarth. The Forsworn are way more annoying than standard bandits and show up way too often, and Markarth itself is just too confusing to navigate.

-Mir-

Professional milk-drinker
My favorite city is Solitude, but my favorite hold is the Rift. I love the pretty climate and colorful trees and it's always warm and beautiful there. Second would be Falkreath since I love the Pine Forest as well. :3
My least favorite is the mountainy, icy, watery Winterhold, though it is interesting to explore.

Machamango

Whiterun. I like how it has it's sunny days and rainy days, and plus some of my favorite npcs live there. It is a very comfortable city. I could start my day by crafting something at Warmaidens, then heading over to the Drunken Huntsman for some supplies, leave to go hunting, and then come back at the end of the day to enjoy some mead at the Bannered Mare or with my fellow companions.

Nadir-Natesse

Proprietor of Thy Lady and Lord
Hmm. I realize that I don't do enough exploring. :sadface: I can't really say... I will have to play an Exploration Session and come back to this.

For now, I will say that although I hate the weather (and trolls!) of Winterhold, I absolutely love the music. I go to sleep at night to "Frostfall" <3

Chadonraz

Least favorite is Markarth. The Forsworn are way more annoying than standard bandits and show up way too often, and Markarth itself is just too confusing to navigate.

Agreed.
The Reach is downright dangerous to explore at low levels (especially if you adventure alone), because Forsworn do some serious damage. And like you said, they're way too common. Bandits don't show nearly as often as they do.
I still haven't 100% mastered the art of navigating Markarth, because of all those staircases. I always seem to end up at the Guard Tower(, and then the guard there will say "Trouble?"). :rolleyes:

Hold? Im not sure, but my favorite city is Windhelm. Just love the winter village feel. Also since its one of the most ancient Skyrim cities.

Fdugn545

I like the rift quite a bit and being that I spend most of my time there I guess it's my favorite hold. I do not have a house there though I mainly just use breezehome in whiterun. (mainly because I'm too cheap to buy a more expensive house) I will say that being a thief in Riften has been fun but I've pretty much robbed everyone there so there's not much to steal anymore...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Whiterun is my favorite, I also like Eastmarch a lot and the Reach.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Now that I have houses, I find that I spend more time in Whiterun and Falkreath (my one outside Morthal is pretty boring, but I do have a good greenhouse and garden there). For shopping and selling, Whiterun all the way, but, for a wonderful home for myself and my family... Lakeview Manor all the way. So far I haven't run in to bandits, wolves or bears there (at least not close to the house). The only annoying things are the conjurer at the bottom of the hill (but I can solve that on a weekly basis by knocking her off and she doesn't respawn for 10 days). The blood dragons that keep dropping dead at my doorstep (no kills, but I keep getting gold and bones) and the pair of bandits on the road in to falkreath (although, again, as long as I get rid of them once a week, it's never a big problem).