When will graphics truly be lifelike?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I think if graphics get any better, they'll be holodecks, and then I may very well never leave the house again.

Yeah. If holodecks are ever a reality, it would be the downfall of civilization. The only people with jobs then would be the people who repaired the holodecks (assuming we had replicators for food and water too).

As far as realistic graphics go, imo it depends on what kind of game your playing. If you like anime style graphics in your rpgs or action games, they probably won't get too much more "realistic" than they already are, but they will still be improved in different ways down the line. If your playing a CoD or Halo type game, they are always going to be as realistic as they can possibly make them.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
First off, graphics do not make a game. Anyone who has played Borderlands, and is into the type of game it is, knows how amazing of a game it is and the whole game is cell shading, it's cartoony and not at all realistic, but the game is amazing.

Now that's off my chest I have to say graphics aren't going to get much better this generation of gaming due to hardware limitations on just maintaining those graphics over the full course of gameplay. That said we will get more and more realistic as we go graphics wise, depending on the game and genre. Graphics are rather difficult to make and we can't, as you said, just take photos and use those. They would just look far to choppy and look even more fake. It has been tried.

Now as for when we will get the interactive movie feel? Either when we can beam the game into your brain and play it within your own mind, or when we have the hardware to process it full time without your system physically melting, game developers have 10 years to work on each game for graphics alone, and when we have the hardware to render the, fast enough. Graphics are the exact reason you need a TB or more hard drive these days. All of the programming for Skyrim is the smallest part of the game size wise, 95% is graphics. So to run life like graphics we need unreal amounts of hard drive space, RAM, and processing power. So to answer your question, not for a while.

Games will become truly life like in this order:
  1. Physics Engines
  2. Audio
  3. Graphics
But the way things are going now I think the gaming world is going more for those cartoony but smooth type graphics. People want gameplay more than graphics recently so you might need to wait a bit for the push for graphics to return. They will always be increasing, but in my opinion the rapid advancement in graphics is going to slow down for a bit.

Storm777

Small Rodent killer,

Thank you for your take. As I said before, I'm totally cool with cartoon style graphics for the right application. A quick example is Rayman Origins. I bought this game because the style and I loved every second of it. Mario games were big when I was younger, so I've always enjoyed those. Certainly, one style doesn't fit all or make the game!

Skyrim however, needs to go in the current direction that it's following. I'm excited to see what their next game, if there is one(might be a long time now that the big online ES is coming out)will be like visually. I'm personally hoping for Valenwood(sp) to see migrating trees.

I can't imagine the next Physics or Audio engine being much better than what's in place now, but I'm sure it will be improved.

Shadowqueen,

Hmmmmm........perhaps a new theory as to why the Dwemer disappeared? Holodecks? It makes so much sense! They scorned the Daedra and never let them play!

Cave

Also, if consoles had the specs of a High-end PC, AND kept up with them. We would have these "Real" graphics because company's would have a reason to do it