When does a character become overpowered?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
I've never invested a single point into smithing on any character. I still improve what I use, but with no perks it's not that much, and I can't improve magical items which is just fine. I'm experimenting with enchanting on a character for the first time and I'm starting to feel overpowered (currently just have the 4 perks that make enchants 80% stronger too, so there's a lot of room to get even more powerful), but I'm level 42 and was close to retiring this character anyway, so it's more of just an experiment before I build a new one.

I know a few people have mentioned fast traveling, I used to never fast travel, but doing those little miscellaneous quests just started to feel tedious. So I compromised - I only fast travel to major cities (or their stables). Most of the locations I need to go are outside of the major cities, but I'll just travel to the nearest one and hike from there. From a role playing standpoint, it's the same as taking a carriage...just free.

I still run from city to city for the most part, since just exploring the wilderness is one of the most fun things to do in the game, but if Mr and Mrs Lazy in Solitude want me to delve into a 4 level dungeon near Riften just to rescue their lucky cheese wheel, there's no way I'm running all the way back to Solitude to collect my whopping 500 reward.

Sargeant_002

Also when I'm 200+ hours deep into a character I want to have the power to tromp most anything...by gosh I've earned that right....at least for a little bit...I'll maybe give Master a try...

Fast travel btw is a god send at times! I cannot personally imagine walking from place to place all the time when I'm on specific missions. I occasionally just run around and explore - that's a blast to find new places.

Brian-

Tman2177

My view is "When the game becomes too easy, increase the difficulty." that will shake things up for a while ;)

Grimnir

I really don't want to get overpowered, I would prefer to be underpowered throughout the game and make it more of a challenge.

RTSullivan-DragonBorn

Premium Member
I would think if you have smithed everything to legendary and made all your enchantments like I have (see sig) that you play it on Expert or Master to even things out no?

theoduck

If persimmons approach, Khajiit will smell them.
This seems like an appropriate place to post this...

I am a level 40 Khajiit. I have just finished the "Under Saathal" quest and I learned some new restoration and Illusion spells.

Now whenever I cast any spell, my magicka bar goes down for the cost of the spell, then springs back to full -- before I have even cast the spell.

I don't have any magicka-related enchanted items equipped, I still have The Warrior Stone active, and the last blessing I remember getting was from Kynareth in Whiterun to cure a disease.

This seems somehow not right. Did I miss something that happened?

I do have several mods installed, but none of them relate to my characters spellcasting (no modded spells), and magicka was regenerating normally (slow) before I did the Saarthal quest.

EDIT: This unexplained power went away after a few game days. Now of course I miss it.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
You're over-powered at the point when master difficulty turns into slaughter fest do to everything dying in under 3 hits do to your bottom line damage. Many people would say my character (who is a stealth-archer type) is over powered do to the fact I 1 hit everything using a sneak attack. I disagree do to the fact I am counter-balanced by the fact without that sneak attack bonus I am hard pressed to kill an enemy. Also many of my kills come from a tactic I developed that I call my "web of arrows" which i do by moving around quickly while stealthed from shadow to shadow firing arrows in a way which most enemies get caught by a shot killing them. However other people have picked up my character and found him EXTREMELY under-powered do to his reliance on stealth and my web of arrows tactic. So over-powered is opinion only.

Sargeant_002

After giving the question some thought I ask this: If progression in the game is the idea and one learns through practice...why is become a master swordsman per say an "overpowering" concern!? Practice your craft the most and your sure to be one of the best for else there would be no point?

Brian-

Osiris

Child of the Sky
When you don't have to cast Fear for people to flee in terror...

osheao

Everyone seems to agree it depends on the player. But what makes a character overpowered? Perks, skills, powers etc.

for me, the most powerful character i can create is easily the all-purpose HYBRID. however, this is all dependent upon choosing the appropriate perks that give TRUE power. specialized archetypes are NOT the most powerful due to the many weak and useless perks that only add varying gameplay styles.

in fact, by level 30 or so i can defeat almost everything all the time on master. by level 60 i am basically my most powerful and still have 20 levels remaining to fully flesh them out.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
You're the Dragonborn. You're meant to be overpowered. That's why most people fall all over themselves to kiss your ass when you're around. I am your new god-queen! Tiber Septim reborn! Come and bask in my splendor, marvel at the glory of the Dovahkiin!

Ehem...That said, I would say that it's enchanting more than anything else that really gives the player character an edge. Adding 40+% more damage to weapons, on four armor slots. Making it so that spells from any school you wish cost 100% less mana to cast (mana free!). Adding point after point to heavy or light armor. Once enchanting is mastered it can be used to greatly enhance, or even substitute any other set of skills.

This isn't really making the game more difficult but on my first few characters i used to roleplay and have food and drink in taverns and sleep everyday. I also used to spend time every other day trying to read at least one book i find on my travels. Usually i will pass time via the 'wait; option according to the time i think appropriate for doing the task. It was fun at first but then i admit i started to get bored of it and stopped doing it.

I try my best to actually walk around the cities like a normal civilian too rather than running around the city like i'm in some kind of rush to play because then it gets boring because i'm finishing the game and quests too quick.

I also don't like to fast travel unless it's via carriage but i do admit some quests are just too petty and such a far distance i give in but then afterwards like someone else said i kind of lose interest because i feel like some God which should otherwise not be possible in the game.

To be honest i get bored of a character once it reaches it's 20s then i end up making a new character and it's like a never ending cycle. Then i end up feeling like plops because all i'm doing is just doing the same starting quests that i have already completed a thousand times. Especially the intro of the game which is very annoying doing more than once never mind the 20th+ time.

Straumgald

I usually find the first 10 levels to be a bit hard on master, because you don't really have any good gear or skills yet, but then after that, the game just remains easy all the way through. There are some quests that are just insane, and you either have to level or drop the difficulty though. I've tried making a few characters where I don't do any tradeskills, but that gets boring. I usually do one tradeskill. I find the best way to keep the game hard is to level really slow. Don't grind any skills up, don't get rested bonus, no skill training and no skill stones (like lover's stone, etc).
Its kind of silly that you have to put all kinds of restrictions on the game to make it enjoyable though.