When does a character become overpowered?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ivory

Let's Player
Personally I don't care how other people play the game. That's their choice but I do feel it gets over powered the moment people use a certain glitch to increase alchemy higher then it should be to make uber potions. I tend to never use Potions that go higher then 50% for smithing or Enchanting to keep it fair for myself and make the game difficult. (Damn Dragur Deathlords...)

Honeyderp

Personally I don't care how other people play the game. That's their choice but I do feel it gets over powered the moment people use a certain glitch to increase alchemy higher then it should be to make uber potions. I tend to never use Potions that go higher then 50% for smithing or Enchanting to keep it fair for myself and make the game difficult. (Damn Dragur Deathlords...)
Just a question, how much do you use alchemy smithing and enchanting? They seem to be the most overpowered skills.

Ivory

Let's Player
Almost never to be honest with you. When I do use Smithing potions its for low level armor that I wanna just use for the appeal of looks. Dragonbone and the higher level ones I leave how they are. Enchantments I usually stick on the Hunter one that does damage to animals or a useless enchantment. The only reason I use enchantment is for the glow effect on the weapons and to rename it what I want. Alchemy I NEVER use. I simply find the 50% for smithing from time to time and use it when I find a low level armor I love to use. (Like the normal steel with the shoulder pads.)

Honeyderp

Almost never to be honest with you. When I do use Smithing potions its for low level armor that I wanna just use for the appeal of looks. Dragonbone and the higher level ones I leave how they are. Enchantments I usually stick on the Hunter one that does damage to animals or a useless enchantment. The only reason I use enchantment is for the glow effect on the weapons and to rename it what I want. Alchemy I NEVER use. I simply find the 50% for smithing from time to time and use it when I find a low level armor I love to use. (Like the normal steel with the shoulder pads.)
Never thought to use it like that. That's very smart. I only ever thought of enchanting as a way to kill everyone with ease.

Ivory

Let's Player
I get no satisfaction playing skyrim by killing with ease. Hell, I don't even sneak kill anything xD. I use sneak to ambush but when I'm about to attack I quickly stand up. (Mostly for Bows/Crossbows) However I do occasionally enjoy the throat slitting.

Honeyderp

Sneak is often perceived as overpowered but when they're found they're as easy to kill as fluffy teddy bears. Until they change their armour and start swinging a hammer.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I think it's personal taste. For me, my character is overpowered when it gets boring because they're beating everything with ease. It is a single player game, after all.

Honeyderp

Everyone seems to agree it depends on the player. But what makes a character overpowered? Perks, skills, powers etc.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Everyone seems to agree it depends on the player. But what makes a character overpowered? Perks, skills, powers etc.
To be honest, I don't think you can pin it down like that. For example, a character that bludgeons its way through Skyrim may consider smithing overpowered because they're constantly getting the best weapons before they're lootable/buyable. Or a character that focuses on sneak may be overpowered because they've maxed out that skill and are practically invisible.

I guess maybe you're looking for what is most overused which usually means said thing is extraordinarily useful and thus overpowered?

Ivory

Let's Player
The way I see it, is if it abuses the gameplay then it is overpowered. For example the smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy. However if it's done fairly for example a Breton having the Agent of Mara (I think it's Mara that does this) giving higher Magic resistance (15% if i remember correctly) on top of the Lord Stone which gives a boost in defensive power from both Magic and Physical means then I don't see it as game breaking but playing smart. Course I'd recommend playing a higher difficulty if you chose to do such a thing. It's about Balance to me, as long as the AI can adapt to the player's choices for an equal fight, I say bring it on.

I agree with those who see this as a personal matter that cannot be quantified. As soon as I find that I have lost interest in playing the character because it is so powerful, then it is overpowered by my definition.

SilentCO1

When you kill a dragon with one dual wielded power attack at level 42... This is a Frost Dragon btw on Adept, probably need to bump it to expert or master on that character.

Skarv

When your Assassin has Sneak 100, Archery 100, Alchemy 100, and One Handed 100, and you can one shot anything on Master, well sometimes you need potions....

GxMxG

Will-Bender
Imo, you are overpowered when you can just run into battle knowing that you can walk away the victor because either
1. Your armor is so godly and your weapon damage is insane, im talking 100+ here
2. You sneak everywhere and only backstab, VERY fun at first but gets repetitive
3. Bows. I had to stop playing 3 characters because of OP archery.
- - -
On my new character i have absolutely no armor upgrades (no perks in the trees AND no upgrades. Damn enchanted armor needs 60 smithing). I just use what i find and what i get from doing quest. Only buff i have is Ancient Knowledge. Makes you rethink combat.

Friday is My Day!

When your Smithing reaches 90, in my opinion. :)

Alchemy is one of my absolute favorite skills because I love to experiment with all of the ingredients in game. My Imperial was level 45 before I learned the ingredients for a Fortify Marksman potion. :)

On the other hand, mixing Deathbell and River Betty now allows me to create a poison that Slows for over two minutes and deals 150 Poison Damage.. a bit OP in my opinion, but it is a single player game.

If you're a level 30 Khajiit with 55 Archery, but your crossbow does 182 damage.

you are over powered when you are level 35 with a war axe that deals 298 damage

you know you are over powered when you kill a giant with one swing

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
When you become a vampire lord.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts