• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nolandman

A ranging, spell-sword Lich
After several play throughs, arrows misfired, enchantments bauched, and failed sneaking attempts I have finally found my Skyrim niche. Something of a ranger/spell-sword/mystic character. Just curious to see what you guys would classify yourselves as. Back stories too if you got one.

idk my main imperial....i would say stealth-archer/battlemage

¬Rockstar

sort of a sneak ranger - who is currently destroying the dark brotherhood

Hey guys. Releasing of Dawnguard I tried a Paladin build. But after piecing my own build from other videos It turns out that this build can be so fun with the new spells and weapons and armor. Taking a diff perspective of comabt the fighting is for the good of justice through holy power to discard all foul beasts that lurk the skyrim depths. Iv NEVER ever been a RPer but with this build finishing most questlines i STILL carry on the extra lil missions at the end. This is only to fuel myself with the thrill of striking another undead, vampire or even a falmer (annoying fuzzy kittens) this is surely getting my hours clocked up into skyrim and its only the beginning.

I have so many builds to explore all the different niches, and ways to beat the game. Spellsword is one of the best, because you've got medium range, and close quarters covered, and you don't have to switch between them. I've been doing spell/shield combos lately, because I like the extra protection of the shield, and staggering from Bashing. Really makes up for being low armor for robes, and health for magicka.

One that I don't do is epic tactical crafter. For one thing, I don't have the patience to grind up 3 skills, much less do the potion/enchant fortify skill loop. I like to play the game, meaning quests, and combat, not spend hours preparing to break it, and once a character becomes OP, I get bored, and start over. There's lots of ways to enjoy Skyrim, but this just isn't fun, for me.

Monopoly

Gypsy Panther
I almost always end up as an archer. Even the ones who are supposed to be mainly Sword+Shield have like 80 in archery. It's just so much fun :D

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Pure spell caster. Enchanted clothing, alteration spells. I love the pure mage. You have various tools, endless ranged attacks and aim is less of an issue than with an archer.

I was forced to thief/nightblade/battlemage my way to 81, after I had gone as far as I could with the schools of magic. But now that that's done, I can set aside the uncomfortable armor, slide on my scholarly sandals, adorn my robes and wizard hat and get back to what matters most. Electrocuting people that possibly deserve it.

Valyn

Pure mage sucks after level 30 if your on something higher than adept. Soron, my dunmer, uses dual swords, light armor, and stealth/archery. I like to pick off the weaker enemies first with my bow, and then rush in swords spinning. But I have to be careful, I sometimes get teared up in full-on melee battles, but that won't be a problem once I get 100 smithing and enchating.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Honestly my archer is my niche, he can sneak but he doesn't, I play a Link style char. Archery until I can stab them repeatedly With a sword

Neriad13

Premium Member
I've always been some sort of warrior at heart. It was my first build and it may be my last. I've found that my block/one-handed/archer Orc is probably the funnest build I've had. After playing mages for a while, it was so good to get back into hand to hand combat and stare my enemies in the eyes.

KritikalPT

No matter how many different builds I make, be it mage, archer, assassin, doesn't matter, from time to time I go back to my Two-Handed/Heavy Armor Orc warrior. There's nothing more satisfying than running towards anyone and chopping them to bits with a big sword.

Alpha86

I've only got 2 characters so far, a pure mage Nord and just started an Altmer stealth archer, that also likes to get a little messy sometimes and dual wield daggers.

nolandman

I have so many builds to explore all the different niches, and ways to beat the game. Spellsword is one of the best, because you've got medium range, and close quarters covered, and you don't have to switch between them. I've been doing spell/shield combos lately, because I like the extra protection of the shield, and staggering from Bashing. Really makes up for being low armor for robes, and health for magicka.

One that I don't do is epic tactical crafter. For one thing, I don't have the patience to grind up 3 skills, much less do the potion/enchant fortify skill loop. I like to play the game, meaning quests, and combat, not spend hours preparing to break it, and once a character becomes OP, I get bored, and start over. There's lots of ways to enjoy Skyrim, but this just isn't fun, for me.
I agree with your game-breaking point. Completely kills the experience by eliminating the time it takes to level up. That's what the whole game is about. I use the shield-spell method as well and was wondering in the back of my mind if anybody else used it.

Omega Dragon

I generally play different ways, but my favorite is usually a warrior-type class (heavy armor, two handed axe, and a longbow). It just comes from playing Demon/Dark Souls, perhaps.

nolandman

Just a question to keep pushing the thread:

Does anyone find being a pure-build (i.e. two-handed warrior, or full-on mage) hindering them in any way throughout your game? Are their tactics you wish you could exploit better while being on one extreme of the spectrum or the other?

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I've played every single type of build and try to do something new every time, but I'm not fooling anyone. I'm a heavy armor wearing sword and shield warrior at heart. I always will be.

KritikalPT

Just a question to keep pushing the thread:

Does anyone find being a pure-build (i.e. two-handed warrior, or full-on mage) hindering them in any way throughout your game? Are their tactics you wish you could exploit better while being on one extreme of the spectrum or the other?

Personally, I found pure mage being slightly harder than being pure warrior, but that might be because I kept putting points into magicka to be able to constantly spam spells, and if I ever ran out of it (which was rare, with the exception against stronger enemies) I would just pop the racial for magicka regeneration. Again, because it was a mage, getting hit in melee was always trouble, even with buffs and all the spam.
With pure warrior there's not a lot to it, but still fun. Just get the best armor and weapons you can find and hack'n'slash through everyone, and with all the gold I got I would just buy potions. Not even mages were trouble, especially due to the Block perks, resisting half elemental damage while your shield is up and being able to charge with it, knocking everyone in your path down. The latter one allows you to be able to get into swinging range and do what you do best, which is cutting things into small pieces, or bashing them into a bloody pulp, whatever rocks your boat.
Two-Handed way can be more challenging than One-Handed/Block, but to balance that I found putting more into health and getting Great Critical Charge worked fine, but always carried a shield for the occasional shield bash.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts