What should I expect from Oblivion?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

frost_troll

Well I bought Skyrim a week ago and am currently level 25. I really enjoy it other than the occasional PS3 shutdown and prolonged loading screen bugs. I bought Oblivion 5th Aniversarry edition from Amazon for £7. It looks really cool and I want to get it so that I appreciate the older elder scrolls games not just the newest one.

Well my question is, Will I be disappointed with oblivion after playing Skyrim? Quest wise, Skill level wise, Combat wise.. etc.

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED
Excellent question.

Oblivion and Skyrim are two completely different animals.

First, the way spell casting works is 360 Deg different in Oblivion. Spells are cast instantly and can be cast using 2H Weapons. Additionally, there is a larger spell pool to choose from.

Second, each school (Combat, Magic and Stealth) have (7) skills associated with each instead of only 6 in Skyrim. Magic has Mysticism for example.

Third, world size. Cyrodil in Oblivion is nearly twice the size of Skyrim. Truly. If you start running from the Dungeon to Chorrol, that distance is equivalent to running from Whiterun to Dawnstar. So the world map is larger and more involved. Skyrim is just mountainous, however getting to Solitude from Whiterun is alot like getting to Skingrad from the Dungeon. Huge difference.

Fourth, quests are more involved and more interesting. Part of Skyrim's problem is you go here and grab this, bring it back. Like a dog. Go get me this for some reason which doesn't make sense and then just bring it back. In Oblivion, it's far more interesting.

Fifth, Summerset Isles are both larger and much, much more interesting than that dreadful Solstheim, which is NOTHING at all like the prev Solstheim.

Sixth, Oblivion has a very recognizable class and birthsign system. Very well balanced and another problem with Skyrim. In Oblivion, your character is not "a jack of all trades". You are recognized by who you are. You can't just be one thing today and decide to drop hat and change within a lvl or two.

This teaches players to focus on their strengths and stay away from trying to Master everything, which is not feasible.

frost_troll

Excellent question.

Oblivion and Skyrim are two completely different animals.

First, the way spell casting works is 360 Deg different in Oblivion. Spells are cast instantly and can be cast using 2H Weapons. Additionally, there is a larger spell pool to choose from.

Second, each school (Combat, Magic and Stealth) have (7) skills associated with each instead of only 6 in Skyrim. Magic has Mysticism for example.

Oh nice! Also, which school includes Acrobatics? I've heard about people complaining that it is now gone.
I've had a look at the Gameplay, as far as I can tell; It's got a better main quest than Skyrim and the graphics but that doesn't bother me one bit. I've also heard you can't dual wield in oblivion?

NENALATA

No duel wielding in Oblivion, nope. Acrobatics I believe is stealth.

NENALATA

Acrobatics is a very viable skill in TES IV. There are arguably, many points of interest that contain good loot which require Acrobatics.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts