What should I be holding in the other hand?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sparky04

I'm new to skyrim and started a thief/sneaky kind of character. I want to shoot enemies with an arrow from far away, then use one handed weapons for close combat. Now my question is, for one haded combat should I be using 1. two daggers/swords 2. one dagger/sword + a shield or 3. one dagger/sword and destruction magic in the other hand?

JClarke1953

I have a Mage, and have had her use a steel dagger and sword, improved of course to lift the damage rating a bit. When she fights, I love watching how my char will do a fast spin, cutting her opponent sideways. Or how she'll shove both into a Draugr, one in its throat, the sword in its gullet.

You won't get credit for 2-handed weapon, although I don't know why, as the char is, but whatever. Also, if your sneak is good, you can get right on a Draugr, and have at it before it can get up. I also had her loot a Draugr Bow, improve it, and watch them fly when an arrow hits.

Oh! Btw! Welcome to these Forums. Lots of people here who've been playing for awhile (18 months for me, I had 3-chars at one time for awhile. And I'm able to play Skyrim a good part of the day). When you can, show what platform you play on, each one works differently.

Just remember, it's a game, it's buggy as hell, glitchy (depending on the platform you're on), but it's still a great game. Just have fun with it, and ask if you're not sure. Googling for info will help as well, at times.

Annageckos

Try them all and see what you like best. I normally use a bow as my main weapon, then switch to a sword if they get closer. I was using sword and shield for a while, then got Mehrunes Razor. That is now my weapon for melee combat. I have a hard time with magic in one hand and a weapon in the other, but will use magic in place of my bow sometimes. Best thing to do is play around and try different things, you never know what you will find works best for you.

Fighter X

I think it's best to just try everything and see what works for you. Personally I prefer a heavy sword, so two handed for me. That takes a lot of stamina out of me, but I'm fine with it. I am not a big fan of the daggers, but if it works for you, go for it bro.

Sparky04

Try them all and see what you like best. I normally use a bow as my main weapon, then switch to a sword if they get closer. I was using sword and shield for a while, then got Mehrunes Razor. That is now my weapon for melee combat. I have a hard time with magic in one hand and a weapon in the other, but will use magic in place of my bow sometimes. Best thing to do is play around and try different things, you never know what you will find works best for you.

Do you have a green cheek conure?

Jake Johnson

If you want to go bow from afar and dual-wielding up close, do this:

Bow: Best bow you can currently build and improve (an elven one is a great start!)

Dual Wield:

Right Hand: Mace of Molag Bal (very powerful, contains a permanent Soul Trap enchantment)
Left Hand: Razor of Mehrunes Dagon (great dagger that carries a low percentage chance of an instant kill)

or

Right Hand: Mace of Molag Bal (very powerful, contains a permanent Soul Trap enchantment)
Left Hand: Valdr's Lucky Dagger (possibly better dagger that carries a better percentage chance of a Critical Hit)

However, to begin the quest for the Razor of Mehrunes Dagon (it is called Pieces of the Past), you must be level 20 for it to be active. It begins in front of Silus Vesuius's house. Also, after finishing the quest, be sure to loot Silus' house!

The quest that ends with you getting Valdr's Lucky Dagger is unnamed (the Skyrim hint book calls it Hunter and Hunted, though), requires that you be level 16 for the quest to be active. That one begins from Dead Man's Drink in Falkreath.

Nighthiker77

You are better off choosing archery or destruction, not both on the same character. That way you get one good ranged direct damage skill instead of 2 weak ones, because the experience you get and perks you use will be concentrated instead of diluted.

The same goes for 1/2 handed and light /heavy armor

Sneak, Illusion, and conjuration work good with everything.

Smithing and enchanting are extremely powerful, and more than twice as powerful if you use a follower and keep their gear upgraded too. They can get monotonous, so it's fun to play without them sometimes too. I almost always smith because I like it, and smithing was the reason I bought this game after not playing any other games for 10 years.

For your close range, I would recommend sword /dagger for this character. If you decide to dual wield, dual flurry and dual savagery make a world of difference.

The best dagger in the game comes from the dark brotherhood, no surprise. The nice thing is you can get it by joining or destroying them. They have my favorite sword too, but you can only get it by joining and completing the questline, and there are lots of nice swords in the game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts