• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Capi0223

ES Newcomer
I have this for PS3, but I'm looking to pick it up for PC since it seems its not just a game, but more of a sandbox experience where you can edit etc on PC and have a bunch of fun with the game after playing it legit. I'm not sure if I can run the game well, or what setting I can run it on as on a few "can I run it" sites, it is using the 4250 video card which I think is incorrect (and says I can't run it).

These are my PC spec (sorry I'm computer spec dumb when it comes to comparisons :sadface:).

AMD Athlon II X3 445 (3.10 Ghz)
ATI Radeon HD 4250 256mb ( I think this is on the mobo)
Radeon HD 4670 512mb (the one I plug my monitor into)
4 GB RAM

5.9 Windows Experience Index (not sure if this is even needed).

Thanks!

tragik

Premium Member
Ok, let me start off by saying I have this on XBOX and not PC.. but maybe I can shed some light.

Here are the specs from the manufacture

Recommended Specs
  • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD space
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher (i.e GTX550Ti); ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation
Minimum Specs
  • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation
Now, to the nitty gritty..​
AMD Athlon II X3 445 (3.10 Ghz) - This is a triple core processor from my understanding so you kinda make it in the middle of minimum and recommended specs.. When I did play games on PC few years back I know some games would not support certain cores, like if you ran quad core it would only utilize 2 of the cores. Now it has been years so things I am sure have changed.

Radeon HD 4670 512mb (the one I plug my monitor into)- This in my opinion is going to be your biggest downfall to make Skyrim "pretty". This card meets the "minimum" requirements.

4 GB RAM- You have the required recommended specs for memory so depending on what you have running in the background you should be good.
!!!!! Please note, this is solely off specs and not from experience with this game. I am sure there are others out there that run on PC's which can give a better estimate of game play with your hardware. If it was me, I would have at least the 1GB video card in the system because that's going to be your bread and butter.
Hope this sheds some light..

Capi0223

ES Newcomer
Hey thanks for the info! I spoke with some guys on a stream I was watching and they said I should be fine on medium or even high. Bought the game about 2 hours ago- installed and it defaulted to high settings based off of my specs on it's own ( haven't been able to play yet though lol)

PSN: capi0223
Using Tapatalk

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Hey thanks for the info! I spoke with some guys on a stream I was watching and they said I should be fine on medium or even high.
Ugh, those guys deserve to be flogged. :mad:

That video card is going to give you very poor performance. You will not be fine on medium. You'll see when it offers to auto-configure your settings but you should turn everything down to low. I would upgrade your video card. It's possible the guys you spoke with thought you said you had the 4850 and not the 4250. You can get one for about $100 and should be able to play at medium/high settings with that card.

tragik

Premium Member
I have to agree with dagmar. I can't see ya running at medium to high. Kinda like trying to drive a pinto on the autobahn in Europe. =)

Capi0223

ES Newcomer
Actually my video card isn't the 4250, but the 4670. I'm going to try on low, but right now, on medium its running at ~40 FPS at the beginning of the game (like head chopping and dragon shows up and burns the town part). It did auto config to high settings on its own, but it would sit at like 25 FPS. I'm going to just play on low I guess to get above 40 FPS til I can get a decent video card to run with my system (kind of hard since I'm kind of computer dumb when it comes to compatibility lol).

Edit: and you know what, even if I get to play on low settings, its better than having my PS3 version I think. I can still get mods or whatever and not have to constantly be choppy (PS3 was getting really choppy for some reason).