• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mesmus

I have defeated alduin but wondering from here on out are there only side quests now? Do any other quests have any meaning to it like helping my character advance or give good gear?

XIIGenocide

The Scaled Arcanist
Have you tried all the other factions? Like the Dark Brotherhood, The Companions, The Mages College, Thieves Guild? They all give quite good gear, also the DLC's give you really good gear if you have them.

Mesmus

I have done abit of the mage guild and i think i have finished the thief guild since they made me their leader or something.

Also do the new DLCs have any new areas or anything? Only one i see is solsteim...

XIIGenocide

The Scaled Arcanist
I have done abit of the mage guild and i think i have finished the thief guild since they made me their leader or something.

Also do the new DLCs have any new areas or anything? Only one i see is solsteim...

Solstheim is good for gear, the Dawnguard questline is quite good if you uses bows, you get the use of Auriel's bow and crossbows, which are really powerful at lower levels. The companions is good for leveling up combat stats.

Mesmus

But what i really want to know is what makes this game still playable? Its been out for ages now and there is no multiplayer to it or raiding of that sort. Main story line seems to go by pretty quick.

Does it all end up just doing these dark brotherhood or mage guild stuff?

XIIGenocide

The Scaled Arcanist
But what i really want to know is what makes this game still playable? Its been out for ages now and there is no multiplayer to it or raiding of that sort. Main story line seems to go by pretty quick.

Skyrim is about imagination, i've been playing it for ages, finished quest lines countless times and I still enjoy it. The other quest lines are great. If you want online you'll just have to wait for ESO :)

XIIGenocide

The Scaled Arcanist
Ok well tell me a typical day of what you do in skyrim?

I just walk around questing, there is heaps of side quests and events that you can find travelling the road.
50% of Skyrim is underground, so there are heaps of dungeons to explore. Not to mention Skyrim has heaps of lore you can read up on in books in-game.
Set yourself a goal then set off to attain it, Skyrim will be a whole lot funner when you're working towards something, it will also give you motivation to play.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Also, when you reach level 80, (or is it 70? Someone correct me if I'm wrong), you get challenged by an enigmatic Ebony Warrior who, from what I hear is arguably the toughest opponent one can face. Like you, he has done all he can do in Skyrim, and now seeks out the Dragonborn as his ultimate and final challenge. I don't believe you've done all that's worth doing though, especially if you haven't completed the DLC questlines.

I seek the Ebony Warrior, but I'm only about 48th level. In the meantime, I crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of the women!

JClarke1953

Ok well tell me a typical day of what you do in skyrim?

I play on an XBox, and my char (a female Nord Mage) and Serana run or use carts to get around Skyrim. The only fast travel we do is to get to Solstheim. There are many, many quests to do all around, whether given them or just running into ruins or caves. There are almost 300 quests just in Skyrim, and about 10 or so "main" quests. In Solstheim there are 7 "main" quests, almost 30 side quests and many other miscellaneous quests just by being at the right place at the right time.

There are several quite long quests that can take a couple of hours, and then there are shorter quests. I kind of wonder if you've missed the total thing of choosing what quest or group to join. You don't have to join this or that, and I think what many of us find so interesting is that you can play as you wish on Skyrim. And if you don't like how things are, revert to a save and go another direction. Your char can be a beautiful one, or a huge menacing one. You make the choices of how you want your char to handle the quest, as there'll be some choices you'll HAVE to make that you may not like.

There's nothing to "beat" as far as Skyrim is concerned. You cannot "beat the game". There's no hurry to do this or that, as nothing begins until you get it started. There is one "timed" quest that I know of, and it's in Riften in the boarding house.

When I first started almost 2-year's ago, it was hurry to do this quest, hurry to do that quest, and fast-traveling from one place to the other. It took me a couple of more character's, but now I don't hurry. And doing that I've discovered much more of Skyrim and Solstheim, found more cool places, loot, gear, you name it.

Just settle in and work on one thing at a time, and work on not hurrying all over to do one thing or the other. The biggest hassles you'll need to worry of are the bugs/glitches that Bethesda neglected.

Just have fun, Google or check the Forums for any questions, and just have fun with it.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Try collecting all 9 dragon priest masks. Go to Blackreach and get the 30 crimson nirnroot, and be sure to mine all the geodes while you're there. Learn smithing, and smith your own weapons and armor. That will have you collecting all the ores and hides you can get. Go bear hunting in the Rift. Learn enchanting, so you can make your weapons and armor powerful. There's zillions of things to do. Sometimes I'll go 3-4 hours and not pursue a single quest. Also, some of those side quests are better than the main quest lines!

operationinfernus

There are tons of miscellaneous quests leading to great gear for all play styles, the best part is randomly stumbling upon such things (in my opinion), and that alone keeps me playing.

Lucid

Another option is to look at the full list of Achievements and start knocking those out. The Daedric Artifacts achievement alone will provide plenty of game play, as will several of the others.

Caideus

Well, now you are more filmier with the game, could start again. Brand new, but this time, learn some other skills, like Alchemy, Enchanting, and smithing. Alchemy is the easiest way to make money and once you start smithing, start harvesting gold ore and learn the transmute spell to turn iron ore to good and make jewelry to quickly build up smithing. Then go diving in dwemmer ruins and collect soul gems from the little robots. So if you do decide to do the main quest again, you can pretend that you are the reincarnation of Talos himself!

Make other toons to run different fractions if you want, knock out achievements and play the DLCs or play a regular joe who only works as a woodcutter on those lonely nights that only be cured by role playing. Lose yourself in the land of Skyrim

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
What I love about SR is that it's never ending. I've been playing for a long time and I'm still encountering places, people and things I have never seen before. The random encounters as I wander about make it interesting for me.

As others have mentioned, sure, the main quests are pretty rote, but I luv that I can add variety through RP. Limiting my characters to different things (I have a Khajit thief that only steals books), adding magic or alchemy, no magic or alchemy, different melee types, different moral followings. For me it's just endless.

One time, when bored, I simply started at Windhelm and followed the coast all the way until I was north of Markarth (I think). Had endless enounters and there are still places I never even entered.

With the DLCs, Solstheim and the Hidden Vale have massive possibilities.

I've played straight, as a were-wolf, as a vampire and on and on and on. It's all about mixing it up.

If you use the game to create another life and then take it seriously while your living it, Skyrim is endlessly playable. If you're just in it as a video game to conquer then it isn't really the game for you.

JMO. :)

JClarke1953

Right! If you got the game to "beat" the game, it just ain't gonna happen. There's nothing to beat but, well, yourself. How disciplined you are as far as how you want your character to be, or not be. A lot here Role Play, and do it seriously. Other's like myself role play some, but I have altered my character some using exploits.

What choices will you make? Will a choice be a part of you, or a means to an end (Boethia?).

I had once asked the same question you did, and that was after I had thought I had done all I could. So I began again, and again, and now I take my time. I've found a lot of interestingly cool things, treasures just by checking places out, especially after I've cleared a room.

Anyhow,

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Right! If you got the game to "beat" the game, it just ain't gonna happen. There's nothing to beat but, well, yourself. How disciplined you are as far as how you want your character to be, or not be. A lot here Role Play, and do it seriously. Other's like myself role play some, but I have altered my character some using exploits.

What choices will you make? Will a choice be a part of you, or a means to an end (Boethia?).

I had once asked the same question you did, and that was after I had thought I had done all I could. So I began again, and again, and now I take my time. I've found a lot of interestingly cool things, treasures just by checking places out, especially after I've cleared a room.

Anyhow,
Cheers!

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)

There's a ton more, but assuming you like this kind of gameplay.

Dungeons, ruins, caves: Just wondering around Skyrim, you never know what you're going to find, whether that be the Frostflow Lighthouse (Definitely check that out) or the Sightless Pit infested with sick, vile falmer. Dwarven Ruins have all sorts of mysterious little things and traps. The things you will find wondering around Skyrim are quite cool.

Factions (as someone mentioned): These are big, as they come with a long story line. If you're into twists and that kind of thing, definitely check out The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild (the ends of these will definitely surprise you). If you're into the whole magic thing, try out the College of Winterhold. If you're the warrior type, the Companions are definitely for you.

Daedric Prince quests: These are my absolute favorite. There are a ton of Daedric Princes, like Molag Bal, Azura, Namira, Dagon, Sheogorath, Sanguine, Nocturnal, Vaermina (spelling), Mephala, Pyrite (spelling), Clavicus Vile, Boethiah, etc. And almost all of those quests are highly interesting, and some of them make you think about the mechanics or real life. Plus, the rewards are usually pretty good (enchanted weapons, armor).

Side quests: Yes, there are a ton of side quests. Some of them trivial, while others are interesting and lead to bigger quests. Try out "Murder on thin ice" or whatever it's called. Takes place in Windhelm I believe. Oh, and do the quest that involves that crazy bitch Potema (started at Solitude).

Collecting a bunch of plops: Like making certain goals, such as collecting all of the shouts, masks, etc.

A few other things: Getting married, adopting kids, building houses (assuming Hearthfire). Becoming thane, etc.

Skills: Have you gotten any of your skills to 100? If you get smithing and enchanting to 100: Enchant some smithing gear using smithing potions. Continue from there, and you will become an all powerful killing machine that all will fear.

Other skills are also fun to get to 100, especially some of the magic skills, because you unlock master spells.

There really is a bunch to do, but it is assuming you like this kind of thing. A lot of it is just exploring.

Oh, and the Autherial Crown is a fun and interesting one. For sure. AND VERY REWARDING.

LuChao

The Martial artist
what you could do is come up with a back story for a character and rp that character or play with self restrictions like I personally am doing a lot of roleplay characters so I always use the rule of Permadeath cause it breaks an rp if your person say gets beheaded by someone and magically returns so I use permadeath to make it more realistic

Kaelbu

I'm glad I read this thread. Reminds me why I'm still playing after two years. And I don't even have the Dragonborn DLC yet!

I often find myself getting mildly bored and wondering if there's anything else to do, but I quickly stumble upon something I didn't notice in a prior play-through, or hear about a quest I haven't done yet, or think of a new character I want to create.

If you get interested in the lore or an NPC, look it up on the elder scrolls wiki. I've done that many times and found quests tied to what I was searching for.

Other than that, everyone else seems to have given you really good advice. There's a ton to do! If you only look for it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts