What kind of new spells would you like Bethesda to add?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I was trying to work out how to balance the damage for that cost, I was thinking about 50 shards for 1 lowly point of damage a piece.
And like a Claymore Mine, the spread means it's not likely to score too many hits unless there's a lot of bodies, plus it would taper off with distance. Unfortunately, so many projectiles would be game breaking by forcing the processor to track them all. You mentioned Twin Souls, so I'm assuming this is a Conjuration? Stagger would be a much more balanced effect, and easier to code as an AoE, with minimal damage from the concussion, IMNSHO. I'd also dial it up to about 100 magicka so first level characters can cast it, but nothing else until Magicka recovers, but when they earn Adept Conjuration (seems this level spell) there should be plenty to combo with a summon, or Necromancy.

If you look at all of the Adept level spells, none of them are less than 100 magicka, but 75 is closer to an Apprentice casting cost. Perhaps a perk could add the Shards, you could call it "Schrapnel"?

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
And like a Claymore Mine, the spread means it's not likely to score too many hits unless there's a lot of bodies, plus it would taper off with distance. Unfortunately, so many projectiles would be game breaking by forcing the processor to track them all. You mentioned Twin Souls, so I'm assuming this is a Conjuration? Stagger would be a much more balanced effect, and easier to code as an AoE, with minimal damage from the concussion, IMNSHO. I'd also dial it up to about 100 magicka so first level characters can cast it, but nothing else until Magicka recovers, but when they earn Adept Conjuration (seems this level spell) there should be plenty to combo with a summon, or Necromancy.

If you look at all of the Adept level spells, none of them are less than 100 magicka, but 75 is closer to an Apprentice casting cost. Perhaps a perk could add the Shards, you could call it "Schrapnel"?
Well to solve the Projectile issue you could decrease projectile count and increase individual damage sightly. Say, 25 for for 2 damage each, and if about 4 or so hit them it's like a bash strength stagger, if about 15 shards make contact it's a knockdown, and if they are directly against the spell it's rag doll. Maybe bring it to about 7 seconds life time. I wanted it to be just low enough an early game player could drop it after or before a quick spell.

Shatter Shield:
Adept/Expert Conjuration
Cost: 75 Magicka
Effect: A defensive offense spell. Summons a wall directly in front of the caster which can not be destroyed and blocks all damage from passing through it for 7 seconds. It takes up a summoning slot like a Atronach, Zombie, or Dremora Lord. Explodes in a forward 120 degree arch 25 shards dealing 2 physical damage each (such as that done by none magic weapons and therefore cannot be absorbed by wards or for magicka) to everything in front of it once it is replaced with a new summon or the duration ends. The more shards that connect the more damage it does with increased impact force and potentially sending the enemy flying from the blast. Capable of harming you if you get hit by the shards.

Well to solve the Projectile issue you could decrease projectile count and increase individual damage sightly. Say, 25 for for 2 damage each, and if about 4 or so hit them it's like a bash strength stagger, if about 15 shards make contact it's a knockdown, and if they are directly against the spell it's rag doll. Maybe bring it to about 7 seconds life time. I wanted it to be just low enough an early game player could drop it after or before a quick spell.

Shatter Shield:
Adept/Expert Conjuration
Cost: 75 Magicka
Effect: A defensive offense spell. Summons a wall directly in front of the caster which can not be destroyed and blocks all damage from passing through it for 7 seconds. It takes up a summoning slot like a Atronach, Zombie, or Dremora Lord. Explodes in a forward 120 degree arch 25 shards dealing 2 physical damage each (such as that done by none magic weapons and therefore cannot be absorbed by wards or for magicka) to everything in front of it once it is replaced with a new summon or the duration ends. The more shards that connect the more damage it does with increased impact force and potentially sending the enemy flying from the blast. Capable of harming you if you get hit by the shards.
So, this would be like 25 Spectral Arrows (with much lower damage) at once in a 120 degree arc? I still don't know if the programming could handle it, even in the original version. If anything is going to overload the game, it's number of projectiles, so less doing more damage would be better.

Maybe dial it back to 90 degrees, 120 dual cast, or 180 double cast (with Twin Souls) 7-10 second duration depending on dual cast. it'd still be Apprentice at that casting Cost, if you flatten the spread, you could likely split it into 5x10 damage shards with a good likely hood of 2 hitting the same human sized target at point blank range. (If I do the math, that's 20 degrees assuming 2 shards are on the ends.) That sounds a lot less OP than 25 projectiles, and a lot easier to handle for the game. 50 damage for 75 is a bargain, but it has to be triggered, and it's a crap shoot whether anyone would be in position to take the hit.

Spectral Arrow appears to go right through armor, (or it's just the NPCs' general lack of protection) but is blocked by Wards, the lesser ones shatter instantly. There could be a series of these kinds of spells, ranging from Apprentice to Master, with longer arcs (The master one is 360) more shards, and higher damage. With casting costs to suit, of course. Just trying to help you out, I hope it isn't too annoying.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
So, this would be like 25 Spectral Arrows (with much lower damage) at once in a 120 degree arc? I still don't know if the programming could handle it, even in the original version. If anything is going to overload the game, it's number of projectiles, so less doing more damage would be better.

Maybe dial it back to 90 degrees, 120 dual cast, or 180 double cast (with Twin Souls) 7-10 second duration depending on dual cast. it'd still be Apprentice at that casting Cost, if you flatten the spread, you could likely split it into 5x10 damage shards with a good likely hood of 2 hitting the same human sized target at point blank range. (If I do the math, that's 20 degrees assuming 2 shards are on the ends.) That sounds a lot less OP than 25 projectiles, and a lot easier to handle for the game. 50 damage for 75 is a bargain, but it has to be triggered, and it's a crap shoot whether anyone would be in position to take the hit.

Spectral Arrow appears to go right through armor, (or it's just the NPCs' general lack of protection) but is blocked by Wards, the lesser ones shatter instantly. There could be a series of these kinds of spells, ranging from Apprentice to Master, with longer arcs (The master one is 360) more shards, and higher damage. With casting costs to suit, of course. Just trying to help you out, I hope it isn't too annoying.
I like the ideas I'm just trying to work out how well the engine could handle this, while doing 10000 other things at once.

Mi-Ilu Yahaz

levitation please! gravity defying horses can only get you so far. maybe some unlocking spells so.. you know... I cant actually unlock stuff. and maybe redo the enchanting thing. my favorite part of oblivion was making hoods that either shocked people to death, or continuously drained their stamina on god npcs (i put one on martin right as he was giving his speech). OOOOOO! and spell making please! I would very much like to have a spell that makes lord dagon melt again... and some disintegration spells...
that is all...
i think...
a master conjuration spell that lets you make ANYTHING into and undead thrall (not a giant ind you... though that would be soooo cool), but maybe some animals, like a saber tooth or a cow, maybe a bunny.
now im done

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts