What is Skyrim's Hardest Cave?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I've always found Tolvald's Cave to be an absolute pain in the ass to get through.

Kit'teh

Get off my Lawn!
Samgurl, I love your signature pic!! <3 Game of Thrones

Wildroses

My recipe for the hardest cave in Skyrim:

1) Start new character
2) Go through intro picking up nothing and making Hadvar doing all combat so you start with zero skills.
3) Reach level three, have crappy weapons/spells and armour, and 0-3 potions.
4) Try to clear Moss Mother Cavern.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done, even with the hunter helping.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I don't know if someone already said this and I know this is really late and all but I just have to say the harder cave I've ever been through was forelhost.

Yes that place is a beast. So many Drauger Death Lords.

AS88

Staff member
Technically not a cave, but when you're a high-level character playing on master, Karthspire Camp has to be one of the hardest places in the game. About a dozen duel-wielding or expert-level destruction Forsworn, a powerful Hagraven, and two Dragons all at once can get pretty tricky when they all aggro.

georgeleus

Frost trolls are gay.
I've being playing the game for several weeks, cleaned a couple of caves, killed masses of draugr and slayed some frozen trolls.
But nothing compared to the nightmare at Forelhost !

I enterd the cave with level 17 and exited it 3 days later with level 20.
(my average play time is ~2-3 hours a day) Call me a noob but it took me some.

For the final stage (Refectory or something) I had to pull down the gameplay difficulty, I was running out of potions, food, lockpicks... everything.

If you tell me that there are much harder challenges... I may be considering purchasing life insurance... Forelhost allmost gave me a heart attack. :p

feliciano182

My hardest experience in Skyrim was an "unbalanced" Dustman's Cairn.

I leveled a little too much on some other skills and ended up making a part way too difficult, one where four silver hand warriors come out at the same time.

The pain............the suffering.............oh god................*cries and seizures*

georgeleus

Frost trolls are gay.
Yeah... I know how that is.

Anyway, I'd like to refer at the level of work you have to do in a cave, at it's spatial complexity.
I mean ok, I enter a cave with the generic quest given, I expect no more than 5-6 rooms/halls with the adiacent corridors, monsters, and so on.
But when I entered Forelhost and saw that it didn't came to an end... entered crypts, then dungeons, and again crypts, then large hallways, afterwords some more crypts...
It's the spatial complexity that irritates me because, first of all, I don't know what I am to expect. For example I like to travel light (to have more room for the loot) and I leave much of the stuff (food, potions, weapons, etc) at home. When I go inside endless caverns and I start to run out of'em... that's when it p!sses me off.

reggie

the dragon in blackreach is sitting on or behind a big orb on the ceiling you dont see it till you shout at it then it starts flying around to attack you.

aussiegirlz

One that always is a bit of a challenge for me is Liars Retreat - it's not long and arduous like Blackreach (which I didn't even find all that hard) but its a nice challenge.

I have found the hardest caves are the ones you underestimate, and cannot back out of. One that comes to mind is Frostflow lighthouse where ****SPOILER****** you meet muliple chaurus, including a reaper, after you jump down into a room, with no way of getting back up again, so you have to win to escape.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
It depends on your build. Certain caves/areas are made to challenge certain classes, for quest purposes. Labyrinthian is meant for mages, Dustmans Cairn for warriors, etc.

I found Blackreach to be rather boring. Now anywhere with a Dragon Priest is always going to be challenging, in my opinion.

GKW62

I have over 2000 hours logged in Skyrim, with several different characters. The hardest fighting that I've found, is in a mod called Arena of the Undead. It has 10 separate arena's in ascending order of difficulty. If you want a real challenge where you WILL die over and over, try it with a high level Character with a high difficulty setting. Once you get into each arena, you can't get out until you beat all the bad guys.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts