What are good quests for a thief or assassin.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I just made a rogue character who i intend to make a master poisoner and eventually do thieves guild and Brotherhood. She is a Wood elf and mainly uses bows.

What I was wondering is: Are there any quests out there that take advantage of thieving and stealth outside the guild quests. Like just some plain old side quest fun with either stealth gameplay or juicy rogue rewards.

Also as a side note if I want to be able to assassinate people effectively with a dagger do i need to go into one handed or is the stealth dagger perk more than enough?

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
One-handed will increase your damage, and also your chance to land that deadly blow :)

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
If you wish to level your stealth stats then I'd suggest sneaking your way through Dwemer ruins and caves and stuff, taking out all the enemies you can without being detected.

If you wish to level your stealth stats then I'd suggest sneaking your way through Dwemer ruins and caves and stuff, taking out all the enemies you can without being detected.

I'm not asking how to lvl my stats, I just want to find some quests that make me feel like my class you know? Like I don't feel like my rogue would feel natural (on an RP point of view) if she was doing a quest to clear out a bandit fortress. I want a quest that is actually tailored to stealth. If there aren't any outside the Thieves Guild and Brotherhood I'd be pretty sad. A good example of a mission that feels Stealthy is infiltrating the Thalmar embassy.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Is it strange that we both made the exact same character? I just made mine two days ago, and I've been having a blast.

There's a few little ones.

The beggar in Whiterun that asks you to steal the bottle of argonian mead.

In whiterun, Ysolda asks you to get her a mammoth tusk. Well, as it happens there's one on display right in town! In tavern. As it happens, Ysolda isn't too picky as to how you obtain her new mammoth tusk!

In Markarth there's a few! Even a really great one for an elven sneak. You get a task from the Thalmor headman to snoop around in an old nord's house and find damning evidence of his Talos worship.

Again in Markarth there's yet another beggar that asks you to thieve a golden statue from the temple of Deabella.

Those are off the top of my head. Any quest can be sneaky/thievy, though!

Rifton is full of shifty characters trying to get you to do back-market stuff on the downlow. There's a mead delivery quest from a dark elf at the meadery to deliver a cask of mead to Ivarstead on the slide. You can take part in this, or you can snitch him out to his superior.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I'm not asking how to lvl my stats, I just want to find some quests that make me feel like my class you know? Like I don't feel like my rogue would feel natural (on an RP point of view) if she was doing a quest to clear out a bandit fortress. I want a quest that is actually tailored to stealth. If there aren't any outside the Thieves Guild and Brotherhood I'd be pretty sad. A good example of a mission that feels Stealthy is infiltrating the Thalmar embassy.
Ah i get ya. As stated earlier, doing the quests for the beggars is a good one. Theres also one in Riften for Haelga's niece, And I'd consider the quest for Jaree-Ra thief like as well. You could also kind of make your own quests i guess. By that i mean go to a market place, skim through pockets and when you find something worht taking, steal it from the person when they go to sleep at night.

Is it strange that we both made the exact same character? I just made mine two days ago, and I've been having a blast.

Hehe that i funny. And thankyou for all of your suggestions, they are very helpful :D

In Markarth there's a few! Even a really great one for an elven sneak. You get a task from the Thalmor headman to snoop around in an old nord's house and find damning evidence of his Talos worship.

I'd have to think about this one as I was planning to Roleplay my Wood Elf as hating the Thalmar possibly enough to join the Stormcloaks (having little love for Ulfric either after seeing the Gray Quarter and the Argonians forced to live outside the city walls) as I have noticed there is little love shared between the Bosmer and Altmer.

Ah i get ya. As stated earlier, doing the quests for the beggars is a good one. Theres also one in Riften for Haelga's niece, And I'd consider the quest for Jaree-Ra thief like as well. You could also kind of make your own quests i guess. By that i mean go to a market place, skim through pockets and when you find something worht taking, steal it from the person when they go to sleep at night.

Thankyou very much :) I look forward to giving your suggestions a shot!

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I'd have to think about this one as I was planning to Roleplay my Wood Elf as hating the Thalmar possibly enough to join the Stormcloaks (having little love for Ulfric either after seeing the Gray Quarter and the Argonians forced to live outside the city walls) as I have noticed there is little love shared between the Bosmer and Altmer.

I've been Role Playing too. Something nice to change the pace from my soft-hearted, doe-eyed, bleeding-heart mage Kalin (of high rock!)

My wood elf has no love for the Thalmer. She finds their politics distasteful and their methods often disgust her. However, she acknowledges their authority as vested in them by the Aldmeri Dominion. Relations between Bosmer and Altmer have never been sunny, but one can not deny that Valenwood's star has risen since the coup that placed it under the Dominion. She is a loyal Mer!

She has no love for humanity in general, but has a special distaste for the Nords, who she sees as crass, rude, brutish, violent and largely ignorant of the natural world. She avoids them, as a rule and will probably keep her nose clean of the whole Empire/Stormcloaks war. The two are at one another's throats. Even a blind mer could see that such a thing is to the advantage of elfkind.

She will rarely hop off her high-horse long to help a human. Exceptions being men who victimize or harass women. Mika the Bard learned that lesson with a broken jaw. Any Al'kir brutes harassing the redguard women on the roadside find themselves riddled with arrows, the women left frightened and confused but unharmed.

The Altmer are snobbish, self-absorbed and often petty. However, as mer they are better than the races of men. So when approached by an agent of the Thalmor seeking to employ her skills to root out a talos worshiper, she was far too patriotic to decline him!

Other than the obvious ones, I usually do Proving Honor just for Sneak training. All the shelf Draugr sleep soundly enough to get a backstab on them even with Farkas clanking around. Double attack with Silverswords is a 1HK even on Master, which means more Experience. A good handful of levels just from that, which really helps if you're training up from 15.

One Handed is optional, but can sometimes make the difference between killing them outright, or having to hit them again (Which can raise the alarm.) Dual Savagery with Savage Strike particularly gives a sizable boost if you happen to have 2 weapons out, and if you strike with both, then you double those multipliers. (I mean the Double attack, not the Dual Power Attack. You'll land 3-4 blows quickly, and possibly stagger, but only the 1st one gets the Multiplier. With Assassin's Blade, you'll actually do more damage just tapping the attack buttons instead of holding them down.)

Armsman is a good idea, because despite what people brag, you can't backstab everything. So, for the fights you can't avoid, it might be nice to pull the Nightingale Blade and actually deal decent damage with it. I find Sword/Dagger about optimal, because you can offhand Backstab, but also stand up, and fight once his friends are alerted, without waiting for the sword drawing animation...

ah3nos

Get bounty letters from the inns and try to assassinate only the bandit leader, sneaking your way through their camp. Use distraction methods for those hard areas.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
I would agree with "the wanderer", go to Jaree-Ra in solitude I belive. He'll be by the bar just to the entrance of solitude.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I just made a rogue character who i intend to make a master poisoner and eventually do thieves guild and Brotherhood. She is a Wood elf and mainly uses bows.

What I was wondering is: Are there any quests out there that take advantage of thieving and stealth outside the guild quests. Like just some plain old side quest fun with either stealth gameplay or juicy rogue rewards.

Also as a side note if I want to be able to assassinate people effectively with a dagger do i need to go into one handed or is the stealth dagger perk more than enough?
To me, pretty much any quest is stealthy. I like the ones they gave me in Solitude and from the Bards college. Assassinate all those bandits and draugers from a distance. Go with the Bow!

Get your character's alchemy up and you can really make some kick-a** poisons. I have drawers full at my Markarth digs. I really love the slow, deadly magika (against mages) and stamina poisons (both at -130). They make slaying so easy! To bad it's one potion per arrow, but, hey, what can ya do except carry a lot of potions.

I've been Role Playing too. Something nice to change the pace from my soft-hearted, doe-eyed, bleeding-heart mage Kalin (of high rock!)

My wood elf has no love for the Thalmer. She finds their politics distasteful and their methods often disgust her. However, she acknowledges their authority as vested in them by the Aldmeri Dominion. Relations between Bosmer and Altmer have never been sunny, but one can not deny that Valenwood's star has risen since the coup that placed it under the Dominion. She is a loyal Mer!

She has no love for humanity in general, but has a special distaste for the Nords, who she sees as crass, rude, brutish, violent and largely ignorant of the natural world. She avoids them, as a rule and will probably keep her nose clean of the whole Empire/Stormcloaks war. The two are at one another's throats. Even a blind mer could see that such a thing is to the advantage of elfkind.

These are some things I will have to consider. Thankyou. I was mostly basing the Thalmor hatred after that wood elf that helps you in the main quest... speaking of which is there anyplace in Skyrim that has more than 1 or 2 wood elves? I never see them!

One Handed is optional, but can sometimes make the difference between killing them outright, or having to hit them again (Which can raise the alarm.) Dual Savagery with Savage Strike particularly gives a sizable boost if you happen to have 2 weapons out, and if you strike with both, then you double those multipliers. (I mean the Double attack, not the Dual Power Attack. You'll land 3-4 blows quickly, and possibly stagger, but only the 1st one gets the Multiplier. With Assassin's Blade, you'll actually do more damage just tapping the attack buttons instead of holding them down.)

Wait, you mean with Assassin's Blade power attacking wont increase the damage further? Man I wish i knew that with my old melee based stealther I played over a year ago lol.

Thankyou so much for your informative help :D

Thankyou to Everyone!

Wait, you mean with Assassin's Blade power attacking wont increase the damage further? Man I wish i knew that with my old melee based stealther I played over a year ago lol.
No, sorry. Savage Strike+Dual Savagery don't stack up to as much as Assassin's Blade with a Double Attack. You kind of have to know when it's better to go for Stagger, or Maximum Damage, but it's mostly on the tougher ones like Bandit Chiefs/Marauders where it makes a difference. If you just 1HK them, they aren't any deader.

To be clear: With dual wielding backstabs, all else being equal you will get more damage out of a double backstab than a Dual Power attack. It also doesn't use stamina, and it makes Savage Strike/Dual Savagery redundant. Just for power Attacks, though, dual flurry/savagery and Double Power Attacks are monster DPS in a stand-up fight. For that, you'll want Windwalker, the Nightengale Blade, and probably the Blade of Woah! Or, you can just creep around with Windshear out, in case you need to Stunlock some mobs. For that, I usually wield it in the off-hand, so it's more like a Shield Bash without using stamina, and you get maximum Striking Speed with the dagger. (Usually a couple strikes unless it's the BoW before you have to stun them again.) If you don't mind casting a couple spells, the College of Winterhold can be done pretty much with all Stealth (except the Caller) for a stack of Drainheart Blades. The Ghost blade is another lighter-than-dagger sword with a somewhat less useful enchantment.

No, sorry. Savage Strike+Dual Savagery don't stack up to as much as Assassin's Blade with a Double Attack. You kind of have to know when it's better to go for Stagger, or Maximum Damage, but it's mostly on the tougher ones like Bandit Chiefs/Marauders where it makes a difference. If you just 1HK them, they aren't any deader.

To be clear: With dual wielding backstabs, all else being equal you will get more damage out of a double backstab than a Dual Power attack. It also doesn't use stamina, and it makes Savage Strike/Dual Savagery redundant. Just for power Attacks, though, dual flurry/savagery and Double Power Attacks are monster DPS in a stand-up fight. For that, you'll want Windwalker, the Nightengale Blade, and probably the Blade of Woah! Or, you can just creep around with Windshear out, in case you need to Stunlock some mobs. For that, I usually wield it in the off-hand, so it's more like a Shield Bash without using stamina, and you get maximum Striking Speed with the dagger. (Usually a couple strikes unless it's the BoW before you have to stun them again.) If you don't mind casting a couple spells, the College of Winterhold can be done pretty much with all Stealth (except the Caller) for a stack of Drainheart Blades. The Ghost blade is another lighter-than-dagger sword with a somewhat less useful enchantment.

Wow... I feel like a noob. As long as I've been playing this I never realized you could do a duel non power attack. XD