• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

How do you feel about Skyrim's voice actors?

• Not enough of them.

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • They sound scripted and not realistic.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • They're annoying.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • They're great and diverse.

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
Delvin Mallory, sounds like Jason Stratham.. mmmmmm :)
Hate Belathors voice.
I like Karliahs voice to.

Karliah's voice has an exotic tone that I find very charming, I like her voice, but I wouldn't be able to listen to it for a REALLY long time, it is a tad bit overwhelming after a while.

BigBad

Person of Interest
My problem with the voice actors is that there's like three main voices for lesser, non-critical male NPCs:

Stephen Russel
Popeye Vogelsang
Michael Gough

These guys have no range at all. Every character they voice sounds exactly the same. I get that this is probably so they can share dialogue, like Lucan Valerius and Belethor's shoptalk. But a lot of the problems of limited voice actors could be solved by letting them record separately for each character and put a little spin on each one.

Patches

I don't like Clavicus Vile's voice.
And you know what I do to Daedric people whose voices I don't like (basically all of them)?
I EAT THEM.
Mora's on the menu. And Azura Is too. Oh, and Merida. But the main course would be Vile.
And his meddling mutt, too! O3O

Kulaasvokul

Do you mind? I'm busy doing the fish stick!
I'm a huge fan of Ulfric Stormcloaks voice (fan of Vladimir Kulich before skyrim anyway), and I also like the guy that does the voice of Vilkas/Ralof and many others. I don't know what it is about his voice that just makes me want to fall into a million pieces on the floor (in a good way!).

The one voice I absolutely cannot staaaand, is Elenwen. I just think I generally dislike Elenwen anyway, and her sarcastic tone is just adding to the dislike.

I think they could have chose some of the voice actors better, but I think most are pretty good. I think the only voice actor I would truly change would be farengar. Oh. My. God. His dialog when he's telling you to fetch the tablet from bleak falls barrow... It's just horrific.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I'm a huge fan of Ulfric Stormcloaks voice (fan of Vladimir Kulich before skyrim anyway), and I also like the guy that does the voice of Vilkas/Ralof and many others. I don't know what it is about his voice that just makes me want to fall into a million pieces on the floor (in a good way!).

The one voice I absolutely cannot staaaand, is Elenwen. I just think I generally dislike Elenwen anyway, and her sarcastic tone is just adding to the dislike.

I think they could have chose some of the voice actors better, but I think most are pretty good. I think the only voice actor I would truly change would be farengar. Oh. My. God. His dialog when he's telling you to fetch the tablet from bleak falls barrow... It's just horrific.

I like Ralof's voice, and Hadvar has a nice voice too :)
Elenwen definitely has a snotty voice. Almost all the high elf voices just sound... snooty. Blah.
I agree about Farengar, he seriously has one of the dullest voices.

KonahrikTheRevered

Dragon of the North
Although Skyrim only has a small handful of voice actors, each are very memorable in their own way. If you think about it or least take a stroll through Whiterun, I believe each voice is a meme in itself that engraves the tones into your mind. Particular examples would include Mikael, Nazeem and Belethor.

Try to come up with a Whiterun NPC that is NOT some kind of meme.

Wildroses

From a pure voice acting perspective, I'd say my least favourite is Jala who sells vegetables in Solitude. There is something kind of forced in the way she says: "See for yourself" and "Everything I've got on display really." It isn't just because she isn't very nice. I mean, Molag Bal isn't very nice either, and his voice actor is great. I also consider Tullius, Ulfric and Brynjolf three of the biggest jerks in Skyrim, but they have very professional voice actors I have no fault with. I don't even object to Cicero's voice actor as it is very clear he is supposed to be a bit annoying and insane. But Jala's voice actor isn't very good.

And for the best, I think I'm going to have to say Ondolemar. Something about his voice is just so hot. I kept encouraging him to talk about how superior he was just to listen to him. I even agreed to find that nice old Skald's Talos amulet for him. It wasn't until I was far, far away from the seductive influence of Ondolemar's voice actor I began to wonder why on earth I wanted to do such a terrible thing to a nice old man who had done me no harm...

I've got to admit, I mostly pay no attention to the voice actors, which is probably a good thing. Good voice acting shouldn't really draw attention to itself as it is only there to enhance the experience of a game, not overwhelm it.

Patches

There are a lot of undeserving jerkasses in Skyrim that have great voice acting. Trust me.
-glares at Ulfric-
From a pure voice acting perspective, I'd say my least favourite is Jala who sells vegetables in Solitude. There is something kind of forced in the way she says: "See for yourself" and "Everything I've got on display really." It isn't just because she isn't very nice. I mean, Molag Bal isn't very nice either, and his voice actor is great. I also consider Tullius, Ulfric and Brynjolf three of the biggest jerks in Skyrim, but they have very professional voice actors I have no fault with. I don't even object to Cicero's voice actor as it is very clear he is supposed to be a bit annoying and insane. But Jala's voice actor isn't very good.

And for the best, I think I'm going to have to say Ondolemar. Something about his voice is just so hot. I kept encouraging him to talk about how superior he was just to listen to him. I even agreed to find that nice old Skald's Talos amulet for him. It wasn't until I was far, far away from the seductive influence of Ondolemar's voice actor I began to wonder why on earth I wanted to do such a terrible thing to a nice old man who had done me no harm...

I've got to admit, I mostly pay no attention to the voice actors, which is probably a good thing. Good voice acting shouldn't really draw attention to itself as it is only there to enhance the experience of a game, not overwhelm it.

Patches

There are a lot of undeserving jerkasses in Skyrim that have great voice acting. Trust me.
-glares at Ulfric-

-Mir-

Professional milk-drinker
My favorite voices are Barbas, Marcurio/Faendal, Arngeir, and all the dragons' voices. I also like Mirabelle's voice.
I think the male Orc, male Dunmer, and Khajiit voices all fit their races very well. I also like the Nord voices and the Dunmer voices in Dragonborn.

My least favorite is Farengar's voice. I'm pretty sure Torygg has that same voice and I almost died of disappointment when I saw him in Sovngarde and heard him talk. I also don't like the male Breton (I think?) voice that some forsworn and bandits use, and the old lady voice that Viola/Colette have.
I like Bryn and Ulfric and Serana's voices, but I do think they're a bit overrated. They are unique and all, but not my favorite (especially Serana).

I think the most annoying voices are (in order) Tullius, Septimus Signus, Hermaeus Mora, Esbern, and Cicero. But they all have great voice actors and I like them since I think the painfully annoying (imo) sounds fit their characters. I think Teldryn and Frea have moderately annoying voices in some lines as well...

For singing voices, I really like Talsgar and Mikael/Sven, and HATE Karita. xD

sticky runes

Ulfric sounds alright, until he raises his voice. It just sounds off when he tells everyone to move out of Helgen, and when he starts getting "passionate" when you ask him what he's fighting for.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Ulfric sounds alright, until he raises his voice. It just sounds off when he tells everyone to move out of Helgen, and when he starts getting "passionate" when you ask him what he's fighting for.

Ulfric's voice is kinda creepy in a subtle sort of way; maybe I'm worried that he's going to 'shout me to death.' ;)

I almost forgot to mention that I also like the guy who does the voice acting for General Tullip, er, I mean Tullius. He's not the best (Michael Hogan), but I like him just because he played Col. Tigh on the remake of Battlestar Galactica.
29cuhhs.jpg

Edit: I have to make sure to keep an open mind on this topic, as there are definitely NPC's with great voice acting, but given the chance I would still slit their throats due to their high annoyance factor within the game (Heimskr/Nazeem).

Ivory

Let's Player
It's funny. I was green to the Elder Scrolls when I played skyrim and i was blind to how many voices were done by the same people over and over again. Just an interesting memory.

That said, my favs are Molag Bal, Erandur, Herma Mora, Tullius, Gelebor, Hadvar, Jarl Ballin', the dark brotherhood redguard, and the Archmage. Something about them are just so well done. I can't describe it.
Though it's funny to watch the scene between Erandur and the dark elf priest of varmina argue at the end of that dawnstar quest. I wonder if the voice actor enjoyed arguing with himself.

Astrid's voice actor particularly always stuck out for me. They could really use more voice actors though, especially for the lesser important common/random npcs. For example...I don't like when a Nord has the same voice as a Dunmer, Bosmer, etc.

sticky runes

I do like the guard voices. They sound like they're taking the piss out of everything (they usually are!) I especially like the one with the hissy voice when he says "We've got to do something about these vampire attacks!"

Morgan

I sometimes wonder if Farengar is voiced by some Bethesda employee who filled in after the budget was gone for hiring actors. He's not my least favorite by far, but it's pretty evident that he's not voiced by a professional actor.

Kaelbu

I actually really like Michael Gough's voice acting (Ralof, Vilkas, Jarl Balgruff) even though that voice is everywhere. I also like Karliah's, Brynjolf's and Ulfric's.

I particularly don't like the male voice for a lot of the elves (off the top of my head, the owner of The Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun and Sadri's Used Wares in Windhelm). That voice is used for other races too, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Also the super gruff male voice (Farkas, Dirge, lots of Nords) shows very little emotion.

KattSand

Premium Member
I quite like the voice acting in the Dragonborn dlc, Neloth and Teldryn are my favorites. As for the voice acting in Skyrim itself, I'm liking Boethiah for some reason (same voice actor as Elenwen and Meridia I believe) and Ulric has ha pretty good voice.

I actually don't care for Karliah's voice, it's just sounds too...whispering and trying to be mysterious, I can't listen to her for longer periods of time, it get's annoying. A lot of the guards have pretty bad voices, it's like they are trying to sound really Nordic but they end up sounding more German imo :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts