Review Vampirism vs Werewolves.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

So, Vampire, or Werewolf?

• Total voters

Kittypaw

Lost in a sea of lols.
Vampirism Vs. Werewolves
Vampirism Vs. Lycanthropy is a very popular question, I see around these days, and I remember starting out in Skyrim, asking myself this question, I've always wanted a unique game experience, so I've always wanted to play as a race that's differed from the ussual. After all my research and experience I've still yet to come with a decision, both have so many ups and downs, and I've always been bugged by it. Here's the results, I truly hope they help, if you would like some questions awnsered, about anything covered here or in any of my threads, just post it down in the comments below and I would love to reply​
Vampirism:​
Feeding: Vampires have to feed regularily on blood, Because if they don't the guards hunt them down and can visibly see who they are after 4 days without feeding. this serves as a problem, to everyone but the sneak pro, But for each day you don't eat, the stronger you get.​
The Sun: During the sun your blood boils as a vampire, You don't regenerate Resources such as: Health, Magicka, or Stamina​
The night: Vampires have night vision, this is their time to hunt. They sneak better, they regenerate.​
Dialogue: Until the fourth day people will mention your eyes have a''Bad Hunger to 'Em'' or that ''You skin is pale as the snow, You scared of the sun or something?'' and some various other remarks.​
((With Dawnguard))​
Vampire Lords: A whole set of Vampire perks to tweak your arsenal. You can transform from Vampire lord back to your self any time you want. Vampire lords support: magic and sneak trees.​
Werewolves:​
Attack: Werewolves have a vicious unarmed attack. They shred through anyone to get in their way​
Appearance: You appear as a Wolf, standing on Behind legs with changed spine, facial, and limb attributes. With a 50% chance to spawn with rugged trousers.​
The Companions are definatley Pro-Werewolf and alot of their members are Werewolves.​
With the Dawnguard Plug in Hostile Werewolves can be found in the wild))​
No need for a full moon!, Lycanthropy is a greater power. change once a day!​
Be Careful: Werewolves are hunted by the Silver hand.​
Now that I've shared some of my basid-a little bit of advanced information regarding Werewolves Vs. Vampires you decide which you prefer, If you need more info regarding the two races, PM me or check the UESP forums for them.​

Karen

boop.
Well, before Dawnguard, there was really no question about it, imo - unless it's for a roleplaying experience or something, I would never go with vampirism, the drawbacks overshadowed the perks too much. So I went with lycanthropy with my first character, but honestly, I didn't really care for it either. The whole not being able to pick up items or open doors thing seemed too inconvenient to me to bother with, so I never used my beast form much.

So for the same reason, even when I got Dawnguard and became a Vampire Lord, I rarely switched forms. I have to admit it looked pretty cool and it was powerful, but still, I hate having to feed and avoid the sun - even with Auriel's Bow, it just didn't really appeal to me, and I ended up curing my vampirism after. I like sunny Skyrim, can't give it up just to be a vampire. :)

In the end, I guess I'm not a big fan of either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with lycanthropy, because I can at least 'turn off' the bad effects. If the worse thing that happens with lycanthropy is that I can't get the well-rested bonus and people make fun of my hairy ears, I'm okay with that.

Zaralink

Legendary Dovahkiin
IMO, it depends on character type. Tanks and Warriors should be werewolves, while assassins and mages should be vampire lords(Without Dawnguard, don't touch vampirism unless you want to set a schedule for yourself. Sanguine vampiris sucks). One extremely disappointing thing about lycanthropy the fact that that beast form is worthless at hire levels, as it has no armor rating. The vamp lord form can drain health like nothing, along with summoning allies and necromancy. With the drain life spell you can eat sun damage like nothing.(Seriously. As a vamp lord I destroyed whiterun in the middle of the day).

Dashmiel

Depends on the character for me, but I generally prefer Vampirism since Dawnguard came around. If Beast Form had anything resembling armor rating (which in my opinion it should have more so than Vampire Lord form) and I could transform in and out of it at will (Even if it's still once a day without Hircine's ring) then I would find myself actually using it from time to time.

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
My entire experience with Skyrim has had me Pro-Vampire. On my different characters I choose Lycanthropy over Vampirism and see that while in Human Form, there is basically no advantages. I have an Assassin playstyle and I have reason to believe Vampirism is better than Lycanthropy. I feel like the advantages of Vampirism far outweigh the disadvantages of Vampirism.

Sheuneux

Guardian of Talos Worship
I never liked playing as a vampire or werewolf. But during those "specific" quests, you had no choice but to turn. And I chose to be a vampire and I enjoy it a lot. Sure the weakness to fire is a pain in the ass when it comes to dragon fights, or dragon priests, but I usually feed on shop keepers after I have finished selling them stuff, so I never have to really worry to much about becoming a stage 4 vampire. And actually when you're a stage 4 vampire, if you commit a crime in a hold the guards and people instantly know you're a vampire and attack without attempting an arrest. I want to be an immortal Dragonborn. ;) Even though I am thinking about curing it.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I never liked playing as a vampire or werewolf. But during those "specific" quests, you had no choice but to turn. And I chose to be a vampire and I enjoy it a lot. Sure the weakness to fire is a pain in the ass when it comes to dragon fights, or dragon priests, but I usually feed on shop keepers after I have finished selling them stuff, so I never have to really worry to much about becoming a stage 4 vampire. And actually when you're a stage 4 vampire, if you commit a crime in a hold the guards and people instantly know you're a vampire and attack without attempting an arrest. I want to be an immortal Dragonborn. ;) Even though I am thinking about curing it.

Well, yes and no. You do have a choice not to pick anyone of them. Personally, I became a werewolf when joining the Companions, but I had the choice to cure myself when I went to the Ysgramor Tomb. I did not cure and I regret it, but I had the choice. Now, after I played Dawnguard, I would like NOT TO continue being a werewolf at all but there is not freaking way to cure myself. Some players advised me to go to the tomb again but it did not work.
I will never choose to become a vamp. I do hate vamps by the way and they are public enemies. I am a werewolf because I thought I could cure myself in the future and because I thought it will help me to AVOID getting vampirism and I was TOTALLY wrong.
Even if you are a werewolf, you can contract vampirism because it did happen to me not once but about 3 times and I had to reload my game and re-do the mission to avoid getting vampirism. Even though there is a cure by talking to Falion, I did not want to go for the cure because it was ridiculous to me getting infected with vampirism when your blood is a werewolf one but it did happen. Some other players have reported the same situation that happened to me and we don’t know at this point if it is a rare glitch or not.
But the thing is that you do have a choice. I would love to remain human and because being a werewolf is not a guarantee for you to avoid getting vampirism, there is not need in my personal opinion to become a werewolf. Beside that, I don’t use it at all to kill vamps. There are better and much effective ways to kill vamps and don’t get any damage while doing so by using sneaking, Illusion Magic, a bow and conjuration if you have to.
Right now, with my sneaking, illusion, bow, slow time shout and conjuration, I am simply undetectable / invisible to every single enemy out there and with my illusion magic using MAYHEM on them, I dominate them to the point they kill themselves while I do watch the scene.
The choice is out there but in my case, as I said before, I can not go back to that point in the game where I could cure because it is too way back right now. It would have been much better to cure myself from lycanthropy when I had the chance and if for any reason I wanted to become a werewolf again, I could have done that by simply talked to Aela and she would have turned me again into a werewolf. Now, I am f ..d ... lol ... ;)

Zaralink

Legendary Dovahkiin
Now, after I played Dawnguard, I would like NOT TO continue being a werewolf at all but there is not freaking way to cure myself. Some players advised me to go to the tomb again but it did not work.
I will never choose to become a vamp. I do hate vamps by the way and they are public enemies. I am a werewolf because I thought I could cure myself in the future and because I thought it will help me to AVOID getting vampirism and I was TOTALLY wrong.
Even if you are a werewolf, you can contract vampirism because it did happen to me not once but about 3 times and I had to reload my game and re-do the mission to avoid getting vampirism. Even though there is a cure by talking to Falion, I did not want to go for the cure because it was ridiculous to me getting infected with vampirism when your blood is a werewolf one but it did happen. Some other players have reported the same situation that happened to me and we don’t know at this point if it is a rare glitch or not.
But the thing is that you do have a choice. I would love to remain human and because being a werewolf is not a guarantee for you to avoid getting vampirism, there is not need in my personal opinion to become a werewolf.
If you are a werewolf you CAN NOT become a vampire. Your character is glitched. Also, you need a witch's head to cure yourself. You can be cured at any time.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
If you are a werewolf you CAN NOT become a vampire. Your character is glitched. Also, you need a witch's head to cure yourself. You can be cured at any time.

Yes, you are not supposed to get vampirism once you are a werewolf, but again, probably I got a rare glitch and I am not the only one. I also know that I need the Glemoril witch head to cure myself and I have 3 of them in my chest but when I go to the Ysgramor Tomb, and try to activate it, it does not work. I’ve done my homework but apparently, it does not work as it should.
Regarding to avoid getting vampirism, I do have now my own technique and it is working perfect. Thanks ...:)