Vampires, Before and After Dawnguard (what's the deal?)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Notice the lack of spoiler-prefix, yo! So, let me start by saying that yes, I'm sure this has been covered probably seven or eight times by now in these Dawnguard threads, but I've wandered through the Dawnguard-related thread lists--about three of them contained spoilers in the thread titles alone! So I use the thread search, and I'm looking for vampire-related information--talk about needle in a haystack! There is a serious following of vampire fans on here, lemme tell yas. Plus i'm a forum noob, which helps nothing.

On to my question! Is there a huge jump between a pre-Dawnguard vampire and a post-Dawnguard vampire-lord? Can I compare it to werewolfing? I'm back to playing Skyrim after a horrible 6-month hiatus (it was horrible.) I'm making a heavy-armor vampire mage, and I'd like to know about what to expect when I acquire a vampire perk tree. Should I be worried about downloading the add-on before I get too high level? Anybody got some links to share with me? I would appreciate any form of advice. Thanks!

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Pre-Dawnguard has no vampire lord ability. Sure, you could get turned into a vampire, suck sleeping peoples' blood, and had certain advantages and disadvantages, but your form didn't physically change.

Vampire Lord is a form in and of itself, much like being a werewolf. And understand this, the vampire lord perk tree is completely separate from your normal perk tree. The default perk interface is replaced by the vampire lord version, which can be completely filled out without using your normal perks.

That said, you can get your level as high as you wish and place your perks anywhere.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
The Pre-Dawnguard Vampires resemble the more classical vampires you've reed about in literature; Dracula, Carmilla, Lord Ruthven, etc. They blended well into society, but struck at night to drink the blood of the living. Although the pre-Dawnguard vampires don't have super-human strength, they follow this version of vampire to the 'T'.

The baser vampires in Dawnguard are the same as before, minus the Vampire Lord form. The only difference is that you have the option to join the Volkihar vampire clan. If you get infected by a random vampire in Skyrim (with or without the Dawnguard DLC installed) you'll be a pre-Dawnguard Vampire no matter what. However, if you accept Harkon's gift, his Blood, then you'll become a Volkihar vampire with the ability to turn into a Vampire Lord, which is a huge upgrade in terms of Power and Abilities.

As a Volkihar vampire, in your baser form, you'll have the same abilities as the pre-Dawnguard vampires, but you'll notice a drastic change in appearance (which I think is awesome). You'll be noticeably paler, more corpse like. Your eyes will change to a reddish-orange color and in the dark, you'll see them glow. The Vampire Seduction power (which you get at Stage 2) has been upgraded to allow you to feed on NPCs while standing up which can eliminate ever feeding on sleeping NPCs again.

The fun begins once you change into a Vampire Lord. There, your appearance will resemble a demonic bat out of hell. You can hover over water and travel across the land at great speeds. You'll get a separate Perk Tree that gives the form more power and abilities such as Summoning a Gargoyle, Mist Form, Bats, Blood Magic, etc (all which you achieve by using your Blood Magic or Power Bite to gain Perks). You can also fight on land, like a werewolf, using your Talons. You have the best of both combat styles, Magic and Melee, rolled into one. The best part is that the form can be used at will. No time limits. Just revert to your baser form and change back whenever you want.

The weaknesses for the vampires are the same, yet the pre-Dawnguard vampires suffer the most. Fire, Sun and Vitals Regeneration are all still key elements in planning for questing and the longer you don't feed, the stronger your weaknesses get. However, your powers grow stronger the longer you starve yourself. One of the best things about joining the Volkihar vampire race, besides the perks and form, is that Stage 4 no longer affects you. As a pre-Dawnguard vampire, if you haven't fed on blood for 4 days, you will become Hated and Feared. Every NPC will attack you on sight. From the sweet old woman in Whiterun to the crappy guards. They will attack and kill you. You will have to feed on a sleeping NPC just to get back to Stage 1, which can be hard if you have trouble sneaking into a town at night unnoticed. Volkihar vampires don't need to worry about this. They can go on questing and not feeding without the worry of the towns folk attacking. Although, your vulnerability to Fire will be high and the sun will stop all vital regeneration and cut your vitals almost in half. The cover of Night is Haven to all Vampires. Caves work well too.

If you want a more classical vampire experience, don't become a Volkihar vampire. As a vampire fan, I enjoyed the classical approach to my favorite mythology. However, in a video game, even that can get tiresome. The Vampire Lord offers a more versatile and deadlier vampire in Skyrim. From the absence of Stage 4 to the freedom to change into a Vampire Lord at will, wielding all it's powers, it'll be hard to stay a pre-Dawnguard vampire in a Dawnguard world.

Hope this helped.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
One of the best things about joining the Volkihar vampire race, besides the perks and form, is that Stage 4 no longer affects you. As a pre-Dawnguard vampire, if you haven't fed on blood for 4 days, you will become Hated and Feared. Every NPC will attack you on sight. From the sweet old woman in Whiterun to the crappy guards. They will attack and kill you.

That is excellent news. I would lose track of how many hours I went without feeding, and I'd fast-travel somewhere only to get gang-beaten by the locals upon arriving. I won't miss that!

I dowloaded Dawnguard over the holiday thanks to a badass 50% off sale on the ol' Xbox Live. Being a Vampire Lord truly kicks ass. Now when there's something that I can't Fireball to death, I'll vamp-out for a completely new set of strategies. Thanks for the hints and tips, you two!​

Pete

My vampires never go with heavy armor. They much prefer vampire armor or royal vampire armor. But hey, it you go that route consider wearing vampire robes when you want to sneak and feed. Otherwise you may clank like a kitchen sink :D

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
My vampires never go with heavy armor. They much prefer vampire armor or royal vampire armor. But hey, it you go that route consider wearing vampire robes when you want to sneak and feed. Otherwise you may clank like a kitchen sink :D

Yeah, I had a heavy armor vampire for the aesthetic, but he was pretty crappy at sneaking--something that became much more important AFTER I became a vampire, for some reason.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts