• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

XHardcoreX

Nord Warrior
Should i become a vampire lord or stay with the Dawnguard?? Plz help! Any advice would be appreciated!

If you join the Dawnguard, you eventually could still be a vampire lord, and they won't mind. Plus, Dawnguard gets more trainers, and crossbows and trolls. However, staying with them means you forfeit the vampire equipment and benefits.
If you are RPing, I think the choice should be clear.
If you just want to know which one is better, generally, join Dawnguard if you are a warrior, and vampires if you are a mage.
If you are a stealth character, i would recommand vampire if you went nightblade (If you major in tress that fall in both magic and stealth.)
And if you are a classic stealth character, or uses archery, it doesn't really matter which one you chose.

The Laoch

He is the Prince of Order. Or was it biscuits?
It's totally up to you ,but I recommend the Dawnguard.
Pets are better (more armor and damage),more followers, and I believe the spells are better.

It is totally up to you, I am going to play as the vampire side after I'm done with the Dawnguard.

It's totally up to you ,but I recommend the Dawnguard.
Pets are better (more armor and damage),more followers, and I believe the spells are better.

It is totally up to you, I am going to play as the vampire side after I'm done with the Dawnguard.

The huskies and trolls are horrible for stealth characters, even on my melee sword n board character I don't bring them with me because I prefer to snipe some enemies with my crossbow first before engaging in combat.
They make stealth impossible.
At dawnguard, they only sell two new spells, which could be gotten if you are a vampire by pacifying them before talking to them. These spells only work on the undead, and does horrible damage, but they are useful during vampire raids for not accidentally hitting other people, and I do believe one of them could open special chests.

The redeeming features for the Dawnguards are their crossbows, it rivals a draggnbonebow in terms of damage per shot, and it only requires drawvern smithing. The bolt is also a lot easier to aim with and fires with more accuracy.
The storyline with the dawnguard also makes a lot more sense then the vampire one.

The Laoch

He is the Prince of Order. Or was it biscuits?
The huskies and trolls are horrible for stealth characters, even on my melee sword n board character I don't bring them with me because I prefer to snipe some enemies with my crossbow first before engaging in combat.
They make stealth impossible.
At dawnguard, they only sell two new spells, which could be gotten if you are a vampire by pacifying them before talking to them. These spells only work on the undead, and does horrible damage, but they are useful during vampire raids for not accidentally hitting other people, and I do believe one of them could open special chests.

The redeeming features for the Dawnguards are their crossbows, it rivals a draggnbonebow in terms of damage per shot, and it only requires drawvern smithing. The bolt is also a lot easier to aim with and fires with more accuracy.
The storyline with the dawnguard also makes a lot more sense then the vampire one.
I don't buy the huskies or trolls, but that is understandable. And the dawnguard gets 3 spells I thought. It really does depend on play style I just prefer Dawnguard since I play as stealth and warriors, I don't dabble in the magic arts besides illusion of course. ,but I would recommending youtube. There is a video that breaks down the dawnguard and vampires. It's shows how the huskies get over 100 more points of health than death hounds. I think vampires look cool ,but the dawnguard may be better for a master / expert difficult run.

I don't buy the huskies or trolls, but that is understandable. And the dawnguard gets 3 spells I thought. It really does depend on play style I just prefer Dawnguard since I play as stealth and warriors, I don't dabble in the magic arts besides illusion of course. ,but I would recommending youtube. There is a video that breaks down the dawnguard and vampires. It's shows how the huskies get over 100 more points of health than death hounds. I think vampires look cool ,but the dawnguard may be better for a master / expert difficult run.

Forgot about master difficulty runs, in that case, dawnguards are infinity better, since, as a vampire you will get one shotted by the random encounter dawnguards with their war hammers. And vampire lord for isn't as powerful and is won't be worth it unless you use mods. It just better to level smiting and make a powerful weapon than having to go through the transformation phrase. The only cases you would chose dawnguard on a master run is if you are a night blade.

Xiinzii

It's an easy choice to be fair if you want a longer quest line go with draw guard if I think it's 2 or 3 longer plus the vampire quest line is very boring :p

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Forgot about master difficulty runs, in that case, dawnguards are infinity better, since, as a vampire you will get one shotted by the random encounter dawnguards with their war hammers. And vampire lord for isn't as powerful and is won't be worth it unless you use mods. It just better to level smiting and make a powerful weapon than having to go through the transformation phrase. The only cases you would chose dawnguard on a master run is if you are a night blade.

Wait, what? Am I hearing somebody say that Vampire Lord form isn't worth it? That is not at all what my experience has been. DarthSpecturm, say it isn't so! I see that we don't have the spoiler prefix enabled for this thread, so I can't really say what I want to say. I feel like my Vampire Lord form is unstoppable, and I use it quite often and for a menagerie of reasons.
  • Overencumbered? Vamp-out now.
  • Outmatched? Vamp-out now.
  • Outnumbered? Vamp-out now.
  • Can't find where that dead Dragon Priest's body went to? Vamp-out now.
  • Can't find where that Rabbit ran off to? Vamp-out now.
  • In the mood to tear flesh and rain death? Vamp-out right now! Do it now!
I don't want to mention too much and ruin it for you, but you'll receive some serious Blood Magick and crazy Night Powers, both of which offer you some really cool abilities to use while vamped-out. I honestly could not be happier with my vampirism. Black out the sun and slaughter the Dawnguard in the name of Molag Bal!

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
I almost forgot, there's some really cool gear that you quest for as a vampire. Once I took care of the main vampire questline, there were still plenty of side-quests to keep me coming back to Castle Volkihar. I've recovered a couple rings that are just plain ridiculous. I'm currently looking for another piece of vampiric jewelry that I'm assuming is also just plain ridiculous, but at this point it wouldn't matter: I've drank enough blood and leveled my Vampire Lord form to absolutely crush pretty much anything I can find. Where I'm at now is trying to get my Argonian Mage form to be at least half as powerful as my Vampire Lord form (why don't we just say that the latter is my trueform?)

Adam Belmont

Should i become a vampire lord or stay with the Dawnguard?? Plz help! Any advice would be appreciated!
If you want to live longer I'd recommend you to join the Dawnguard. It's just a friendly advice from a Belmont. :rolleyes:Just kidding (or not).
Another thing you should be aware of if you play with alignment system is that a good character would never become a vampire. An evil character could join the Dawnguard but is very unlikely.

Wait, what? Am I hearing somebody say that Vampire Lord form isn't worth it? That is not at all what my experience has been. DarthSpecturm, say it isn't so! I see that we don't have the spoiler prefix enabled for this thread, so I can't really say what I want to say. I feel like my Vampire Lord form is unstoppable, and I use it quite often and for a menagerie of reasons.
  • Overencumbered? Vamp-out now.
  • Outmatched? Vamp-out now.
  • Outnumbered? Vamp-out now.
  • Can't find where that dead Dragon Priest's body went to? Vamp-out now.
  • Can't find where that Rabbit ran off to? Vamp-out now.
  • In the mood to tear flesh and rain death? Vamp-out right now! Do it now!
I don't want to mention too much and ruin it for you, but you'll receive some serious Blood Magick and crazy Night Powers, both of which offer you some really cool abilities to use while vamped-out. I honestly could not be happier with my vampirism. Black out the sun and slaughter the Dawnguard in the name of Molag Bal!

Personally, with most of my characters I chose vampire lord, but you unequip your armor when you transform to Vamp lord and on master difficulty, you won't last very long without your enchantments. I use vamp lord when I want to enjoy killing my enemies, but, It is way less efficient than back stabbing them with a legendary dragon bone dagger enchanted with chaos damage enchantment. (And augment fire, shock, frost, with the enchantment fire, shock and frost perks.) I'd like to see a vamp lord take me on in my normal for with my normal gear. (As long as they don't toss me off a cliff, or paralyses me, but two can play at that game.)
I am not saying they are not worth it, I find vamp lord form entertaining, what I meant about being one shot by dawnguards is that when you are TRANSFORMING into a vampire lord, the person with the 2 hand hammer that has the vampire enchantment can literally rip you to shreds before you can retaliate, if you have stage 4 vamperism and you are in the sun light.
However, that still doesn't mean it is not worth it, nothing is not worth tossing stuff off high places, especially bunnies. You can still be a vamp lord if you chose dawnguard, you just don't get the 2 rings and the 2 pendants.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Dawnguard for warriors because there's more followers, more pets and the crossbow which does high damage for warriors to use as a ranged weapon without needing all the archery perks.

Vampires for mages and stealth characters, theres vamp form, 25% better sneak and Illusion, The vamp rings and amulets, ring of erudite works outside of vamp form adds 100 magicka and doubles magicka regen rate the best ring in the game for a mage. theres all the vampire powers like calm, invisibility, night vision etc.
The crossbow is not a loss for a mage and as they are louder than bows a stealth build should use a bow over a crossbow. Also dragonbone bow does more damage with dragonbone arrows than a dwarven xbow with dwarven exploding bolts and the bow fires much faster.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Personally, with most of my characters I chose vampire lord, but you unequip your armor when you transform to Vamp lord and on master difficulty, you won't last very long without your enchantments. I use vamp lord when I want to enjoy killing my enemies, but, It is way less efficient than back stabbing them with a legendary dragon bone dagger enchanted with chaos damage enchantment. (And augment fire, shock, frost, with the enchantment fire, shock and frost perks.) I'd like to see a vamp lord take me on in my normal for with my normal gear. (As long as they don't toss me off a cliff, or paralyses me, but two can play at that game.)
I am not saying they are not worth it, I find vamp lord form entertaining, what I meant about being one shot by dawnguards is that when you are TRANSFORMING into a vampire lord, the person with the 2 hand hammer that has the vampire enchantment can literally rip you to shreds before you can retaliate, if you have stage 4 vamperism and you are in the sun light.
However, that still doesn't mean it is not worth it, nothing is not worth tossing stuff off high places, especially bunnies. You can still be a vamp lord if you chose dawnguard, you just don't get the 2 rings and the 2 pendants.

Hmm. I'll be on the lookout for them two-handed warhammer types. I love that the transformation is more or less instant (that is, if you were to compare it to wolfing-out.) There's usually enough time to do the Vampire Grip body-toss, follow up with some Absorb Health blasts and you ought to be back on top of the fight. Maybe "unstoppable" was a bit much, but I think we definitely have the tools to kill stuff dead. And there are 2 pendants? Now that's totally welcome news to me. Very awesome.

I might be blinded by a vampiric bias, but so far Vampire Lord-ing has been a sweet way to play the game.

Hmm. I'll be on the lookout for them two-handed warhammer types. I love that the transformation is more or less instant (that is, if you were to compare it to wolfing-out.) There's usually enough time to do the Vampire Grip body-toss, follow up with some Absorb Health blasts and you ought to be back on top of the fight. Maybe "unstoppable" was a bit much, but I think we definitely have the tools to kill stuff dead. And there are 2 pendants? Now that's totally welcome news to me. Very awesome.

I might be blinded by a vampiric bias, but so far Vampire Lord-ing has been a sweet way to play the game.

Yea, there are two rings, and two pendants.
One of the pendant lets you summon an extra gargoyle, the other one makes bats do leach more health.
The amulet of the bats goes will with the Ring of the beast (Boost 100 health, claws do 20 more damage.)
And the amulet of gargoyle goes will with the Ring of Erudite.
The ring offers passive effects, and works will not transformed, the claws damage is translated into unarmed damage.
The amulet only works in vamp lord form, and CAN be enchanted, it does not go off in transformation, but I dont think you benefit from the enchantment.
Personally, I prefer, gargolye, plus Erudite, it lets me spam blood magic more.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Wait, you're saying the amulet can be enchanted? Like, enchanted again, in addition to the effect it already has?

Wait, you're saying the amulet can be enchanted? Like, enchanted again, in addition to the effect it already has?

According to the wiki, yes, since theoretically, they do not have an enchantment on them, like the long hammer, one might think that it's speed is the enchantment, but that is not a real enchantment.

"Amulet of the Gargoyle/Bats can be enchanted with one or possibly two (if your Enchanting skill is 100 and you have the Extra Effect perk) additional enchantments from any enchanting table. These effects won't show in the item text, but they are viewable in your Active Effects section."

There is a special paragraph dedicated to saying that they are enchantable, since neather actually holds a valid/common enchantment. (Eg. Magic resistance, sneak increase)
This does not appear to be a bug since it is been in the game for a year now, and non of the unofficial patches ever address this issue. I also have tested this myself, yes they are enchantable, but as vamp lord you probably won't benefit from them.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Amulet_of_Bats
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Amulet_of_the_Gargoyle

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
According to the wiki, yes, since theoretically, they do not have an enchantment on them, like the long hammer, one might think that it's speed is the enchantment, but that is not a real enchantment.

"Amulet of the Gargoyle/Bats can be enchanted with one or possibly two (if your Enchanting skill is 100 and you have the Extra Effect perk) additional enchantments from any enchanting table. These effects won't show in the item text, but they are viewable in your Active Effects section."

There is a special paragraph dedicated to saying that they are enchantable, since neather actually holds a valid/common enchantment. (Eg. Magic resistance, sneak increase)
This does not appear to be a bug since it is been in the game for a year now, and non of the unofficial patches ever address this issue. I also have tested this myself, yes they are enchantable, but as vamp lord you probably won't benefit from them.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Amulet_of_Bats
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Amulet_of_the_Gargoyle

That's utterly amazing. Thanks for the tip, man!