Unable to continue main quest after completing the civil war

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

rakfisk

I realize there's a bunch of threads already regarding this matter, but after searching around a lot I've read so many different variations and answers that I still have no clue what to do.

As many others have, I have now encountered this main quest/civil war glitch that hinders me to continue with the main quest. It all started when I wanted to finish the main quest before the civil war in order to do Seasons Unending. I had already started the civil war and was currently at Message to Whiterun (return axe to Ulfric). So when I was given the quest to negotiate a truce the only option was to return the axe. Tullius had nothing useful to say either. With no other choice I proceeded with the civil war quest chain and completed it. Now with Vignar as Jarl of Whiterun, Seasons Unending is no longer in my quest journal, and I'm stuck at The Fallen where it points me to Arngeir where he tells me to talk to Ulfric and Tullius (who is dead) to set up a truce meeting.

So how do I continue from here? Is there really nothing to do but hope for a patch to fix this? I'm playing on PC if that matters.

Any tips and help is highly appreciated.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
have you talked with Vignar and expressed your readiness to proceed?

rakfisk

Yes when I talk to Vignar about trapping the dragon he tells me I have a truce meeting to arrange first. The quest indicator points me to Arngeir and he tells me to talk to Ulfric and Tullius. Ulfric doesn't have that dialogue option and Tullius is dead. The quest indicator still points me to Arngeir...

Shew

well you broke the questline.. if you wanna complete this load a save from before you completed the war, do the truce, complete the main line, then finish the war

rakfisk

Problem is I don't have any old saves on that character and he's lvl 50 :/ So much for "play the game the way you want" :/ It's just ridiculous if this doesn't get fixed in the future as this will probably happen to many others.

Shew

yeah, sorry man, I keep alot of saves myself. Its just wise no matter the platform.

I'm having the same problem but I haven't done anything yet. I've got the ax that I'm suppose to give back to ulfric. Does anyone know if u can still continue seasons unending with vignar as the yarl of whiterun?

JClarke1953

IVe learned (finally!) to make frequent saves, especially after a fight with a Dragon or NPC. I 'd always get my butt handed to me during an ambush (Dawnguard, Bandit's), then would end up re-fighting the Dragon and other's I'd beaten again.

I Know I should have but ulfric and tullius are still alive. So I would love to know if you can still do seasons unending even if someone else is jarl of whiterun.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I keep two saves per character build now. Each time I start to play, I will make all my saves on just one of the saves until I am finished playing. Then I save over both saves for that build. If my quests break during the time I start playing with that character, I can at least go to my back-up save before I started playing. The only bad thing is having to do everything you just did over again.
At least two saves per build also prevents you from saving over one of your characters with another, erasing them from existence.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts