Spoiler Ulfric Stormcloak - unanswered questions, thoughts?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Jarl-Ulfric-Stormcloak-515x289.jpg

Love him or hate him, there's quite a bit of mystery surrounding Windhelm's top dog. His past, though information seems incomplete, is checkered with brutality (see Markarth). Perhaps those of you that researched a bit more than I have can answer a couple of questions or maybe some of you had questions of your own.

I'm not wanting to really turn this into a philosophical debate, just a Q & A with some researched facts please.

Question 1: How did Ulfric become Jarl?
  • Now I know that Jarl status can be passed down from generation to generation, but in Ulfric's case, this doesn't seem to be. There are no "Stormcloaks" that I know of with memorials outside the Palace of Kings in Windhelm, unless I missed them somehow. If he was a legacy-type inheritor of the throne, it wouldn't have made sense for him to join the Legion at one point.
  • So how did he get there? Elected? Coup? Designated? Simply chosen?

Question 2: (Imperial questline) When all seemed lost at the end of the Civil War, why didn't/wouldn't Ulfric use the Voice?
  • It seems a desperate man backed into a corner would have used his greatest weapon at that time. Perhaps he could have killed Tullius with the same shout he used to kill Torygg.

Question 3: What shout did Ulfric use to kill Torygg?
  • There is a new shout in Dawnguard,
    Soul Tear,
    perhaps this is where it was addressed?

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
He used unrelenting force on Torygg to get him on the ground, then used his sword to pierce his heart.

El Fonz0

Question 2: (Imperial questline) When all seemed lost at the end of the Civil War, why didn't/wouldn't Ulfric use the Voice?

1. Ulfric says that that people "sat him on the throne", so I assume that most of them wanted Ulfric as leader.
2. Well, if he fights long enough, I've seen him use Unrelenting Force.
3. According to Ulfric, he shouted Torygg to the ground and killed him with his weapon. So, Unrelenting Force.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
He used unrelenting force on Torygg to get him on the ground, then used his sword to pierce his heart.
1. Ulfric says that that people "sat him on the throne", so I assume that most of them wanted Ulfric as leader.
2. Well, if he fights long enough, I've seen him use Unrelenting Force.
3. According to Ulfric, he shouted Torygg to the ground and killed him with his weapon. So, Unrelenting Force.

Hmm I don't remember that dialogue, not saying it isn't there. I just keep hearing the guards say that he tore him apart using just his voice. Of course, this could be just hearsay.

Reason I asked some of these questions is I'm doing a fanfic, part of it involves how Ulfric got there in the first place.

El Fonz0

Hmm I don't remember that dialogue, not saying it isn't there. I just keep hearing the guards say that he tore him apart using just his voice. Of course, this could be just hearsay.

Reason I asked some of these questions is I'm doing a fanfic, part of it involves how Ulfric got there in the first place.
have you asked the man himself?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Lol, you never simply asked him? I guess you really hated him. :p

Ulfric inherited his throne. His father, known to us only as the Bear of Eastmarch, was the Jarl of Eastmarch.

Dagmar: How did you become Jarl of Eastmarch?

Ulfric Stormcloak: My father, the great Bear of Eastmarch, died during my imprisonment after the Markarth Incident. I, his only son, forced to deliver his eulogy via a letter I had smuggled out of prison. Such is the love of Titus Mede for his subjects. When finally set free, I returned to Windhelm, and was greeted by a city in mourning, at one with my own grief and anger. Clamoring in angry voices, calling out for justice, for war, they sat me on the throne. The throne of Ysgramor! The throne of my father... I only hope I can prove worthy of the honor.

Even if you don't want to talk to him there is always the Thalmor Dossier on him:
Thalmor Dossier: Ulfric Stormcloak said:
Background: Ulfric first came to our attention during the First War against the Empire, when he was take as a prisoner of war during the campaign for the White-Gold Tower. Under interrogation, we learned his potential value (son of the Jarl of Windhelm)....

standalone

J

Jeremius

i do not really care about how he got the throne of eastmarch, why he did not use the voice in the end of the Imperial side of the CW, or how he killed Torygg. All i know is the lore points to if he wins, he gets the throne and if not, he is dead. do not get mad at me Dagmar, this is my interpretation of the in conclusion of all the lore (who gets to be high king according to lore)

Xivia4

• It seems a desperate man backed into a corner would have used his greatest weapon at that time. Perhaps he could have killed Tullius with the same shout he used to kill Torygg.
On my original play through he didn't shout at me at all and I was pissed because like Alduin I thought he was way too easy. On my second character he used Unrelenting Force but it didn't do anything to me. I guess the man does have a modicum of intelligence. When it comes to shouts he knows he's no match for the Dragonborn. :)

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar

His father was the jarl in windhelm and died while Ulfric was in prison. He came home to find the citizens mourning over his death, and wanted Ulfric to be the next Jarl and ruler.

If you're talking about when the dragonborn, Tullius and Rikke was invading the palace of the king and beaten Ulfric down to submission maybe he was too weak to shout?

Oh and one last thing :)
ALL HAIL TO ULFRIC STORMCLOAK! THE TRUE HIGH KING OF SKYRIM.. HATERS WILL FALL!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I haven't done the Imperial side of the war yet myself, but I've seen clips of it in which Ulfric does Shout during the final battle. He definitely Shouts during the siege of Solitude on the Stormcloak side of war. And I've attacked Ulfric at random myself, just to see if he would Shout, and he sure did. I believe he also says, at some point in his dialogue, that he doesn't often use his power, but will when it's necessary.

There are a lot of interesting things about Ulfric that you can learn by talking to him! For instance, did you know he was to become a Greybeard himself before he left High Hrothgar to fight in the Great War?

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I haven't done the Imperial side of the war yet myself, but I've seen clips of it in which Ulfric does Shout during the final battle. He definitely Shouts during the siege of Solitude on the Stormcloak side of war. And I've attacked Ulfric at random myself, just to see if he would Shout, and he sure did. I believe he also says, at some point in his dialogue, that he doesn't often use his power, but will when it's necessary.
Yeah, he's definitely shouted every time I've fought him. Though in my most recent play through (and third go around with the Empire) I managed to Fus Ro Dah him across the room before he got the chance.

Morgan

He doesn't shout because he's probably waiting for the cooldown to expire. He should have gotten himself an amulet of Talos! ;)

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!

Answer 1: His father, the Bear of Eastmarch. Ulfric inherited the throne

Answer 2: Well he does when Dovahkiin, General and Legate went to kill him.

Answer 3: Ulfric knew loads of shouts but it's most probable his shout didn't kill Torryg. I fought him loads of times (15000 bounty FTW) and he used Unrelenting force and Disarm. Unrelenting Force however threw me all the way across the room! He also has Ice Form I think

Huska

rulr of skirim
Witnessed Ulfric shout at General Tullius, Tullius flew across the hall, quite humorous.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts