• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

drjunkie

I like to try builds off skyrimblog, and a lot of them use alchemy. Now, I want to try alchemy, but I can't seem to get into it. I just can't seem to run around catching butterflies out of the air or picking flowers for hours at a time. How do you guys and gals increase your alchemy skill and make it fun?

Caideus

Giant hunting helps, but you still need to run around and collect creep clusters and farm up wheat. I pretended to be a drug dealer lol, hitting up the alchemy shops, buying all there ingredients and selling my "skooma". Once I was able to perk merchant, I was able to sell my "skooma" to everyone and it made it fun, if just a little bit. Made a lot of money doing it and was able to train up alchemy and other needed skills, like blacksmithing and one hand sword training.

JoeReese

I don't generally make alchemy hunting trips, but I scour the roads on my way wherever I'm going. I also buy up every ingredient the alchemists have, usually trading off dragon bones and scales, and whatever useless potions I acquire along the way. Or, I'll experiment until I find a nice expensive potion, make as many as I can, and then sell them to the alchemist in return for ingredients.

If you have Hearthfire, a garden helps enormously. I recommend planting canis root, imp stool, swamp fungal pod, snowberries, glowing mushrooms, blisterwort. That will give you the growable ingredients for some useful potions, like paralysis, smithing, restoration, and enchanting. You'll need to find salt piles, blue butterfly wings, and either Abecian longfin or Cyrodilic Spadetails though. For those, I usually give the skooma addict a healing potion, at which point the fish barrels along the docks become take, rather than steal.

Also, ask Farengar in Dragon's Reach, if he's the only Wizard. He'll ask you to take something to Arcadia's cauldron, after which she will give you a lot of ingredients. (There's also an alchemy skill book on her desk you can read, but not take)

The "fun" of alchemy isn't really in doing it. That's the work. The fun is in the result, having legendary armor, or that really kickass paralysis potion.

thanks2Ralof

Friend 'O dog
huh?....honestly picking flowers and finding endless amnts of ingredients stretched throught the Skyrim county side is what entertains me.....even if im a two handed orc....i end up using the alchemy

Caideus

Nothing like getting naked and running around Skyrim chasing butterflied and picking blue flowers, but if you're going to that.mfijdna good song and smoke up. Turn yourself to a hippie lol. I know, sounds bad but give yourself about 30 mins collecting them blue butterflies wings and picking blue flowers, which are more common along the snowy roads of Skyrim. Then head over to Solidtude and go to the Hall of The Dead, you'll walk out with 54 hanging vines or something. Combine those three ingredients and you'll see the huge multiplier given in XP, if you use enchantments to fortify your alchemy. Again, the multiplier will make a huge increase. If your looking for something a little manly though, haunt down giants and take there toes, combine it with wheat, and creeping weed found in east march. Which grow like weeds. Combing those three ingredients will give you the biggest XP Bose. Pages in, add I your alchemy enchantment, and this will early triple the amount of XP you'll gain. Plus, the last three ingredients I gave also makes the most expensive potion in game. So do it right, you could end up with a option coasting well over 3k. Make sure to perk up your speech as you go along so you can later at, speech perk on 50, sell your potions to everyone

Caideus

This is the fastest way to make septum a on the game (gold, money... whatever )

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I don't generally make alchemy hunting trips, but I scour the roads on my way wherever I'm going. I also buy up every ingredient the alchemists have, usually trading off dragon bones and scales, and whatever useless potions I acquire along the way. Or, I'll experiment until I find a nice expensive potion, make as many as I can, and then sell them to the alchemist in return for ingredients.

If you have Hearthfire, a garden helps enormously. I recommend planting canis root, imp stool, swamp fungal pod, snowberries, glowing mushrooms, blisterwort. That will give you the growable ingredients for some useful potions, like paralysis, smithing, restoration, and enchanting. You'll need to find salt piles, blue butterfly wings, and either Abecian longfin or Cyrodilic Spadetails though. For those, I usually give the skooma addict a healing potion, at which point the fish barrels along the docks become take, rather than steal.

Also, ask Farengar in Dragon's Reach, if he's the only Wizard. He'll ask you to take something to Arcadia's cauldron, after which she will give you a lot of ingredients. (There's also an alchemy skill book on her desk you can read, but not take)

The "fun" of alchemy isn't really in doing it. That's the work. The fun is in the result, having legendary armor, or that really kickass paralysis potion.

What exactly is the smithing potion made of? I can't believe I'm at level 40 and have gotten no smithing potions OR enchanted armor.

Caideus

What exactly is the smithing potion made of? I can't believe I'm at level 40 and have gotten no smithing potions OR enchanted armor.
Glowing Mushroom and Blister root, also saber teeth
Those are the three I know for sure, also, google fortify smithing ingredients and look for uesp.wikia

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I like to try builds off skyrimblog, and a lot of them use alchemy. Now, I want to try alchemy, but I can't seem to get into it. I just can't seem to run around catching butterflies out of the air or picking flowers for hours at a time. How do you guys and gals increase your alchemy skill and make it fun?

An interest in doing those things helps immensely. We're all different and like to play the game our own way. Personally, I enjoy harvesting ingredients and making potions. For others, it's a necessary evil. I'd say if gathering ingredients isn't your thing, the next best way is to buy out the vendors.

Certain potions, notably the Giant's Toe + Creep Cluster or River Betty + Wheat can net you a lot of coin and XP. A good simple one is Blue Butterfly Wing and Blue Mountain Flower. They're common and pretty easy to find. The Hearthfire DLC adds Salmon Roe which can be used to make expensive potions as well. That one is rather time consuming to gather though.

JoeReese

Glowing Mushroom and Blister root, also saber teeth
Those are the three I know for sure, also, google fortify smithing ingredients and look for uesp.wikia
Yeah, it's Blisterwort, Glowing mushrooms, Sabre Cat Tooth, and Spriggan Sap, but you can only grow the two in a garden. With one plant each, you generally end up with more than enough ingredients to do your smithing. Neither the tooth nor the sap makes the potion any stronger. I mentioned restoration (spadetail or longfin + salt) because if you're using smithing gear, the restoration potion will boost the strength of the gear as well. Same for enchanting...I only listed a couple of the most-easily-obtained things.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
My current assassin character uses Alchemy, but only ever used to kinds of brews: potions of invisibility and poisons of paralysis. Those are the only two really useful brews I know.

If you have trouble leveling Alchemy, them Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower + Giant's Toe. I call this the Potion of Experience. Craft as many of these as possible, buy training from Arcadia, then sell these potions to her. This I think is the fastest way to level Alchemy. The potion of xp is quite valuable, so you should get a lot of your training money back.

Uskyldig

Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die
Hearthfire will speed things a long.
I grow Blue Mountain Flower & Nightshade for Damage Magicka Regen poisons, fairly high value.
And for my own use I grow Canis Root & Swamp Fungal Pod for paralysis poisons, which have been useful in my transition from using archery to levelling one handed.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I don't usually go out collecting ingredients. I pretty much restrict myself to what I find lying about or take off the corpses of my victims. I've played the hippy alchemist and I find them annoying. Too much time picking flowers, not enough time getting something done.

Annageckos

The Hearthfire DLC adds Salmon Roe which can be used to make expensive potions as well. That one is rather time consuming to gather though.

Salmon roe and chicken egg, they make a very expensive water breathing potion. Another good potion for gold/leveling is scaly pholiota, mora tapinella and creep cluster.

I like alchemy, it is very useful and easy to level too. I pick ingredients as I do other quest. Rarely do I go out looking for ingredients. I just pick what I see and buy things I know I'll need. I also use these two sites

The first is my favorite, but it doesn't have the DLCs on it.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...isons-and-ingredients-of-the-elder-scrolls-5/

www.skyrimalchemy.com/ingredients

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
The Hearthfire DLC adds Salmon Roe which can be used to make expensive potions as well. That one is rather time consuming to gather though.
I also use these two sites

The first is my favorite, but it doesn't have the DLCs on it.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...isons-and-ingredients-of-the-elder-scrolls-5/

www.skyrimalchemy.com/ingredients
How do you get a wi-fi connection in Skyrim? I didn't know they had cell towers there. :)

Caideus

Yep, there are times where I head to the house. Drop off my things, and everything else I can do with out, and chasing Blue Butterflies, picking Blue flowers, and searching Dead Halls for some hanging moss. And I won't make a return until I am maxed out in weight.

I would also say that it is more then likely that in ESO, you will probably end up looking for me for the best options and paying dearly for them lol

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts