Too Late to Learn New Tricks?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gilcore

I'm Level 36 specializing in Destruction Magic, One-Handed, Heavy Armor, Smithing, and Enchanting. I've completed the College, Companion, Imperial Legion, and Main quest lines. And yet, I think I'd like to get into the assassination business. Unfortunately, my sneak and archery skills suck. Is it too late to change focus? Has anyone here had experience in picking up skills later in the game? Or is it better to just start a new game?

Opium_Bunny

Maybe you should roll a new character to get the best out of the spec you want to be. Looking on the bright side...it will stall you from finishing the game therefore allowing you to further immerse yourself even more. =]

fleeon

Dark Elf Night Brother, Protector of Nocturnal
No harm in trying. eh?

If it doesn't work out or if you find yourself getting frustrated its as simple as backing out to main menu and selecting new game.

Gilcore

Thanks for the input, everyone! Between the joint character my girlfriend and I created and watching her play her character, I really wanted to avoid going through the whole process of playing the beginning of the game again. Plus, I'd like to use what I have already. I have my answer.

andrea

I'm Level 36 specializing in Destruction Magic, One-Handed, Heavy Armor, Smithing, and Enchanting. I've completed the College, Companion, Imperial Legion, and Main quest lines. And yet, I think I'd like to get into the assassination business. Unfortunately, my sneak and archery skills suck. Is it too late to change focus? Has anyone here had experience in picking up skills later in the game? Or is it better to just start a new game?

mostly theres no much point to start leveling up and perking a skill tree you never touched.
anyway you can do the dark brotherhood questline without sneak and archery, it'll just be a little harder

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
You can download save games or mods that get you just past the intro level, when you're out of Helgen. At the Skyrim Nexus site. Look for "quick start" ...plenty of options for second playthroughs there.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
It's definitely not too late to start. I've been focusing on archery, one handed, sneak, and lock picking. I just hit level 60, and when I was at about 55 1/2 I started working on my block, and at about 50 I had just started really working on two handed and magic. I've been working off and on with my pick pocketing.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
My approach is to stay at level 1. ALL your skills remain useful.You won't be able to do some of the Daedric quests and you won't find as many goodies though. When you're ready, save then level up and enjoy getting to put 50 or 60 perks exactly where you want and see if you like it. If not, reload and try something else. You get to keep the same character with all the stuff you've bought and found.

Jaeger

Archery: get Faendal or Aoli (companion) and buy your archery and take money back.

Stealth: sneak everywhere, preferably around a lot of people. Sneak behind the khajit caravan or that pompous asshoe and his wife and bodyguard going to solitude. If you haven't cleared out Bloodlet Throne you can do the rubber band trick against the gate right before the head vampire and level it pretty quick while you go out to dinner.

To get level 81 you have to max all skills.

theminstrels

Overseer of the chupacabra tea party
I have a level 71 nord that I have been working on everything with. As long as you have certain enchantments, then the skills you focused on earlier will still be your bread and butter but, you will have no problem doing the other things you want to either.