Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Yeah I noticed his Sparks spam.. So he's been replaced and stored away like a museum piece never to be touched again..

Where do you guys have your "Mueseum of Bodies"? I currently just use my house in Windhelm in the "secret" area which is fitting concidering the previous user of the house...

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Rulindil is anchorable. Combat AI is crap though. He will use sparks until his magicka is depleted... which since he scales to forty takes quite a while. If you want to use him give him staves. He will only infrequently use melee even if given a high quality weapon.
I always find Silus Vesius to have the same problem.

Staff member
"Dragon Breath Mead" And "Nightshade Extract" seem to be good anchors. I will test the poacher's axe tomorrow. I have not yet obtaines dead thrall on this playthrough, but should have it by sometime tomorrow. Can you reset an NPC's radiant level by making them hostile/attacking them and reloading like you can reset a shopkeeper's inventory?

Crap.. One of my disposable thralls died earlier and somehow glitched my effects so now I have one Reanimated Thrall permanently in my Active Effects.. Which is annoying.. And the last save was 2 hours before *facepalm*.. Looks like people will always be telling me to watch out with that magic.... But I did pick up Sulla and Umana.. Not sure if they are any good and/or perma bodies/anchorable yet.

Staff member
Crap.. One of my disposable thralls died earlier and somehow glitched my effects so now I have one Reanimated Thrall permanently in my Active Effects.. Which is annoying.. And the last save was 2 hours before *facepalm*.. Looks like people will always be telling me to watch out with that magic.... But I did pick up Sulla and Umana.. Not sure if they are any good and/or perma bodies/anchorable yet.
They are permanent and Umana is awesome from what I hear.

If that's true, They shall be a glorious addition to my party, Unlike that damn Bandit Chief.. I should have done terrible things to his body.. in fact .. I'm going to go find it..

Adam Warlock

Yeah I noticed his Sparks spam.. So he's been replaced and stored away like a museum piece never to be touched again..

Where do you guys have your "Mueseum of Bodies"? I currently just use my house in Windhelm in the "secret" area which is fitting concidering the previous user of the house...
My makeshift Halls of the Dead are spread all over Skyrim.

All the dead Khajiit in Heljarchen cellar and all my pure/light armor mages on the outside deck over the Heljarchen armony.
Heavy armor warriors and Haldyn on outside deck over Windstad armory.
Vampires at Dushnikh Yal.
Light armor warriors at Cracked Tusk Keep..

Useless/weak bodies of dead citizens and such in the Abandoned House in Markarth and Evettte Sans house in Solitude.
A lot of citizens have been returned to their own homes as well.

Imrah

Started going through the Dawnguard questline with one of my other characters to explore all of the anchorble thralls I missed... whoa nelly.
- The burned down Hall of the Vigilants has some already deceased vampires and vigilants. I got a master vampire from there who, though only lvl 14, seems to be perma without anchoring. Also he doesnt have zero health like most dead bodies. Bonus!
- Since dimhollow does not reset, the bodies there are perma with anchoring. Hauled back Lokil, a lvl 42 master vampire, and a vampire mistwalker.
- Upon returning to Isran after refusing Harkon, the fort is attacked by a band of vampires. The nightstalker, mistwalker, and master are all perma with anchoring. The nightstalker is about as good as a master with only a little less health.
- Ruunvald excavation offers a couple choice thrall candidates. The mage Minorne is a powerful lightning user. My personal fav was a named vigilant named Volk. Hood and robes, plus steel plate boots and gauntlets, and the stendarr amulet. He also keeps the red cloud over his head from his "charmed" living state.

Staff member
Started going through the Dawnguard questline with one of my other characters to explore all of the anchorble thralls I missed... whoa nelly.
- The burned down Hall of the Vigilants has some already deceased vampires and vigilants. I got a master vampire from there who, though only lvl 14, seems to be perma without anchoring. Also he doesnt have zero health like most dead bodies. Bonus!
- Since dimhollow does not reset, the bodies there are perma with anchoring. Hauled back Lokil, a lvl 42 master vampire, and a vampire mistwalker.
- Upon returning to Isran after refusing Harkon, the fort is attacked by a band of vampires. The nightstalker, mistwalker, and master are all perma with anchoring. The nightstalker is about as good as a master with only a little less health.
- Ruunvald excavation offers a couple choice thrall candidates. The mage Minorne is a powerful lightning user. My personal fav was a named vigilant named Volk. Hood and robes, plus steel plate boots and gauntlets, and the stendarr amulet. He also keeps the red cloud over his head from his "charmed" living state.
That Master Vamp at the hall of the vigilants is indeed awesome. His inventory resets if you leave him somewhere, so be warned.

Staff member
I have a few questions:
Does a thrall's health reset upon fast travel? Mine do not seem to.

Should I have my dremora's sword enchanted with both absorb health and stamina (43charges) or just absorb health (77charges)?

Is there a way to make a thrall's weapon charges unlimited? I noticed my dremora never ran out of charges with the weapon he started with.

I had more... but I can't remember them atm. Thank you in advance.

Staff member
Not all of the silverhand in Dustman's cairn are anchorable. The big group that is seen below that bridge with the cage around it will all disappear almost immediately after exiting the cairn. The rest seem to be anchorable, but be adviced, at high levels the place is pretty much nothing but deathlords.

Staff member
hmm the "beware the butcher" pamphlets dont work as anchors for me. Its a major bummer, cause there are 20 of them. Maybe they will work after i finish blood on the ice.
Beware of the radiant targets that are existing targets. Since that makes little sense ill clarify. If location X is the target location for a bandit chief, but the location typically has a bandit chief already, the existing chief gets used. Same thing I would assume happens with the vampires, but the vampire dens are less common. Radiant locations like Bloodskaal barrow that normally would not have a vampire, will produce a radiant target with no cleanup script. Targets in the other category will eventually respawn with their dungeons, at least in my expierence.

But as I am in the group of people hoping im wrong, I have a thrall I plucked from a volkihar radiant quest. She was in the dungeon, but not the target of the quest. A female Volkihar vampire with vocal clips! And to my upmost glee, they are different from the master vampire reel. Now I can have a MV and a VV having polite conversations whilst zapping and chopping through skyrim's finest.
If she fails testing, I may just take the pains to maintain her despite it. All she needs now is a name and some enchanted armor...
Did you ever get them to work? I startes another new game and will be unable to test them for awhile.

Adam Warlock

I have a few questions:
Does a thrall's health reset upon fast travel? Mine do not seem to.

Should I have my dremora's sword enchanted with both absorb health and stamina (43charges) or just absorb health (77charges)?

Is there a way to make a thrall's weapon charges unlimited? I noticed my dremora never ran out of charges with the weapon he started with.

I had more... but I can't remember them atm. Thank you in advance.
INFO re: ANCHORS--http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:permanent_and_persistent_items

Thrall health recovers extremely slowly.
Often they will have received more damage than their base hp but did not die for some reason (like added health enchants or unfinished lingering damage)
idk if they recognize time passing during fast-travel.
When this happens they may die simply going through a door or fast-traveling.
NPC who are found dead and have zero hp regularly do this.
After battle . it is advised to either wait a bit or buff your thrall with Necromantic Healing/Heal Undead before further adventuring

Dremora`s sword : Absorb Health at max dmg + Absorb Stamina at minimum or very low dmg.
This will increase the charges available but will ensure power attacks available after a strike.

Sometimes thralls/followers will continue to get magic damage from weapons even after the charges have been depleted to zero. Iffy and inconsistent.
On the few occasions when I have seen this happen , the effect was lost when the thrall is deactivated or follower is dismissed.
There are some weapons in the game like the Ebony Blade or Dawnguard Rune Axe that have unlimited charges but usually you will have to recharge/replace enchanted weapons

Staff member
I completely forgot about being able to give it less than full absorb stamina...:oops:

Thanks again!

Adam Warlock

My respawn testing ground and thrall arena has been moved from Fort Dawnguard to the Cistern !

I`m scheduled to return the Skeleton Key to it`s rightful place but in no hurry because I really like that key and the Guildmaster rewards aren`t that attractive to a filthy rich lvl 81. All side quests/etc. done.

Thieve`s Guild Cistern full of non-essential leveled combatants(minus Rune) who will never be followers while alive .
Quest givers Vex and Delvin and all the vendors are safe in the Ragged Flagon.

Currently seeded bodies awaiting my return to Riften include 3 Volkihars , 6 Vampire`s Thralls , Bandit Marauder , Cryomancer , Forsworn Ravager , Krev the Skinner , and Ghunzul .

THOSE WHO FALL SHALL BE MY THRALL

Imrah

Did you ever get them to work? I startes another new game and will be unable to test them for awhile.
No dice. They work fine for Adam though. If you do the quest, I recommend you don't cut corners. Try and complete every objective. I did the opposite and I think that may be why they wont work.
The pamphlet/ letter type objects, in my expierence, that advance a quest stage or start a miscellaneous objective will usually work as anchors.

There are also several unlimited sources of anchors:
- Balmora blue. The phial you stash aboard the dainty sload respawns along with the ship. Leave at least one corsair alive to reduce respawn time to 10 days.
- Dawnguard plug-in related quest letters. Letter from a Vampire, Orders, Incriminating Letters... many objects here.
- Not unlimited, but the Letters from a Friend that you get for shouting in towns.

If someone can help me test the generic bounty notes you get from innkeepers/jarls/stewards thats another large contingent.

Doing Dragonborn for the first time! And got my Necromantic hands on a Reaver Lord and he talks normally!.. but it's always random stuff... Nether would have thought i'd miss the "Urrrrghh!!"..

Staff member
Found another location with non respawning bandits, and the containers are safe as well. Nilheim. You can look it up if you want, but there are about five anchorable bandits including telrav. I might make it my "rest stop" for unused "followers". I don't think it has any crafting stations, but it has an awesome view.

Adam Warlock

No dice. They work fine for Adam though. If you do the quest, I recommend you don't cut corners. Try and complete every objective. I did the opposite and I think that may be why they wont work.
The pamphlet/ letter type objects, in my expierence, that advance a quest stage or start a miscellaneous objective will usually work as anchors.

There are also several unlimited sources of anchors:
- Balmora blue. The phial you stash aboard the dainty sload respawns along with the ship. Leave at least one corsair alive to reduce respawn time to 10 days.
- Dawnguard plug-in related quest letters. Letter from a Vampire, Orders, Incriminating Letters... many objects here.
- Not unlimited, but the Letters from a Friend that you get for shouting in towns.

If someone can help me test the generic bounty notes you get from innkeepers/jarls/stewards thats another large contingent.
bounty letters do not anchor

Adam Warlock

Found another location with non respawning bandits, and the containers are safe as well. Nilheim. You can look it up if you want, but there are about five anchorable bandits including telrav. I might make it my "rest stop" for unused "followers". I don't think it has any crafting stations, but it has an awesome view.
At least some of the Nilheim bandits are permanent without anchoring as I have 3 like that (others vanished) along with 2 of the Mistwatch Bandits.
idk why these are perm but the rest are not
The leader of the Mistwatch bandits has a permanent corpse but she unfortunately scales past lvl 40.