Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
Random notes--

Currently testing a Bandit Marauder(mage) for permanency with anchor.
This particular one is a female Dunmer who was a target of Captain Kjar`s Harsh Master quest to Stony Creek Cave.
30 days and counting ! Stony Creek has already respawned and she`s still with me.

Stalleo- lvl 25 Bandit Wizard(anchored for now). Essentially identical to Anska(perma) except for gender. Fire/frost/shock

Traveling Bard- anchored target of Volkihar radiant quest. Lvl 25 1h Bandit class in clothing. Moans. More powerful than you would think

J`darr - anchored Skooma addict is lvl 25 Bandit class in clothing.

As with Adam , Sonja held on to Rigel Strong-Arm for a good long while before she eventually respawned back at Pinewatch. anchor was recovered from her new incarnation
Stalleo is different from Anska because he has Augmented Flames/Frost/Shock and all are Rank 2. Isn't J'darr permanent because I went back through Alfthand Glacial Ruins to check some things and he was still there along with his dead brother (this was way after I finished the MQ).

I really like using Chief Yamarz as a dual wielding thrall. I gave him a Forsworn and Daedric Sword and he goes to work. With his 1271hp and Max Armor cap (567) on his smithed up Orchish armor, he never really dies. Gave him bow n' arrows and staves for long range combat. Had to keep him away from Serana because she can raise him if he ever does die (lv. 20).

And a weird thing I noticed about thralled cultists. I gave my male Dunmer Master Cultist a Nordic Greatsword and it was sheathed at his waist like a normal 1h sword. When he pulls out his weapon he pulls it from his back and nothing is in his hands because the Greatsword is at his waist. Damage is dealt but the sword is just invisible like he's attacking with nothing. This also happens with Dremora but while dual wielding. Give them a Forsworn weapon with another 1h sword and when they dual wield, the forsworn weapon is invisible. They attack with nothing in their left hand. Tried this out with Velehk Sain since he can't dual wield with the 2 schimitars he had.
Nevermind, any NPC wielding a Nordic Greatsword will have this invisible sworrd bug that is sheathed at waist.

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
I have read that followers can recharge their own weapons but not staves. Can dead thralls do this?

Adam Warlock

I have read that followers can recharge their own weapons but not staves. Can dead thralls do this?
I think the situation with both followers and thralls is that they can use weapons with soul trap to fill gems.
In all cases I`ve had to remove weapons and the filled gems to do the recharging myself.
If a follower uses a Staff of Soul trap that would be news to me because I`ve tested same on followers (with conjuration skills and without.)

Adam Warlock

Newest Mage thrall ----

Arch-Mage Savos Aren !!!!! (scales 1.25xDB)

Corpse inventory is inaccessable .
Moans a little but has extremely powerful fire attacks , fire cloak , and will conjure his very own DREMORA LORD !
Hopefully I can keep him as long as I don`t complete the Containment quest since he disappears after the magic anomalies are defeated.
It may be a long time , if ever , before I decide that the citizens of Winterhold need protection. :cool:

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
Newest Mage thrall ----

Arch-Mage Savos Aren !!!!! (scales 1.25xDB)

Corpse inventory is inaccessable .
Moans a little but has extremely powerful fire attacks , fire cloak , and will conjure his very own DREMORA LORD !
Hopefully I can keep him as long as I don`t complete the Containment quest since he disappears after the magic anomalies are defeated.
It may be a long time , if ever , before I decide that the citizens of Winterhold need protection. :cool:
I've actually had the Arch-Mage survive after killing the anomalies by not going passed the quest marker on the bridge to Winterhold and letting followers and thralls do all the work. Well actually u can go passed it after the message that 1/10 anomalies are destroyed. Savos disappears right in front of me after talking to Mirabelle and receiving the Torc of Labyrinthian so that would be the last time u could ever use him.

Adam Warlock

Ancarion - Thalmor Wizard. static lvl 23 with good attributes
Anchored/moans.
Shock attacks, wards, mage armor, Storm Atronach summons !!!
Makes a great partner/bookend for the Northwatch Interrogator.

DO NOT kill him or his soldiers to get the map when you first meet him ! If you do he will vanish from the game(like Savos) when you conclude the quest.
If your speech skill is 75+(potion/enchants/blessing can help if not), you can swing a deal to sell him stuff.
After giving the map back to the Skaal blacksmith , THEN return to kill him and his 3 Thalmor soldiers (also anchored)at their ship. These soldiers are somewhere between lvl 20-30 in my game(lvl 31 DB)
The soldiers found at the Abandoned Shack will respawn however.
In my case , this was an easy decision because Ancarion doesn`t sell anything and his gold reserves do not reset(xbox)

Adam Warlock

Ancarion - Thalmor Wizard. static lvl 23 with good attributes
Anchored/moans.
Shock attacks, wards, mage armor, Storm Atronach summons !!!
Makes a great partner/bookend for the Northwatch Interrogator.

DO NOT kill him or his soldiers to get the map when you first meet him ! If you do he will vanish from the game(like Savos) when you conclude the quest.
If your speech skill is 75+(potion/enchants/blessing can help if not), you can swing a deal to sell him stuff.
After giving the map back to the Skaal blacksmith , THEN return to kill him and his 3 Thalmor soldiers (also anchored)at their ship. These soldiers are somewhere between lvl 20-30 in my game(lvl 31 DB)
The soldiers found at the Abandoned Shack will respawn however.
In my case , this was an easy decision because Ancarion doesn`t sell anything and his gold reserves do not reset(xbox)
must sadly report that the soldiers from northshore landing do respawn (although non-hostile).
Ancarion appears to be perma with anchor

Adam Warlock

More random notes

1. Continued experiments with anchoring to create permanent corpses-

what we know is that most (but not all) individually NAMED NON-RESPAWNING NPC who aren`t otherwise perma can be anchored.

Respawning NPC whether named or generic generally can`t be anchored.

However , at least some generic NPC can be anchored as have been previously reported.
These are ones that have atypical status from the normal characters you encounter , usually because they are a quest target or otherwise expected to disappear without respawning in their home spot at a later time.
Master Vampire targets of certain Dawnguard quests are examples of these NPC .

Currently , I also have successfully anchored-
a. Forsworn Briarheart( Kill the Leader at Hag Rock quest from Jarl of Markarth)
b. Bandit Marauder( Kill the Leader at Stony Creek from Captain Kjar)
c. A Bandit Chief and a Bandit Marauder from Fort Hraggstad that I killed just after joining the Legion(fort respawns with soldiers)

Don`t expect each attempt to work as Captain Kjar`s target at Uttering Hills Camp has respawned on me twice(inventory resets as well but anchor can be recovered)

2. Newest Thrall-

DB-npc-Torkild.jpg

I was nosing around the northern coastline of Solstheim when my Filial Bonds quest suddenly updated telling me to investigate the werebear Torkild.
I discovered his human body in the same area as 3 dead horkers , 2 dead reavers , and 2 very much alive and hostile Morag Tong Assassins who had a Writ of Execution with my name on it.

Torkild makes a great Dead Thrall skilled in 1H , Archery , Block , and Sneak.
I was quite careful to leave the quest letter he carries undisturbed.
Note that he wears a phantom pair of gauntlets which look great but prevents him from ever respawning any other worn items. So don`t lose track of the apparel you find him in because that particular gear is all he will ever wear.
I improved his fur armor and leather boots and gave them back but not the hat(it`s ugly)
shield ,sword ,and bow and he was ready for action.
Does moan but very quietly.
No combat taunts (guessing that because of his beast status)

Since Torkild doesn`t transform himself into a werebear after death , I am using the Beast Stone power to role play the appearance of his savage dark half by using Conjure Werebear

Hey guys. My name is James, and i wanted to join this forum, mainly because I have been a long-time lurker and now i wanted to put some info into this amazing forum. I hope you will enjoy or at least tolerate my input.

NOTE:
My first idea is to go through each individual post in this forum and others and gather a list of thralls and their location, levels, perks, permanency, and other things about them.
My second idea is to give some areas that work amazingly as personal halls of the dead. EX: Goldenglow Estate (this is a huge building with a fence, many many containers, and a basement for all dem zombehs :p)

I look forward to hearing back from you guys.

My plan for the list is to go in alphabetical order. But I wanted to skip any citizens that weren't special (permanent or having special abilities).
And i was wondering if you could give me a rating and some tips on each thrall from personal experience. Thanks!
( Also i wanted to put Dawnguard and Dragonborn thralls in a different section)
And before i get too OCD, Adam, this is essentially your thread (by the amount of work and effort you have put into it) feel free to tell me to stop or other.

148px-AdelaisaVendicci.png

Name:Adelaisa Vendicci
Location: Walking the Windhelm docks after Rise In the East is completed
Race: Imperial
Level: PCx0.9 from level 5- 25
Health: 91 - 250
Magika: 67 - 130
Stamina: 67 - 130
Primary Skills: Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing,Archery, Light Armor, One-handed,Sneak, Speech
Moans: Yes
Perm?: With anchoring after the related quest
Best Goose to their Maverick: Honestly with warrior-types, you can go with almost anyone. As long as they have a good combat strategy IE: Mage from afar, her up close. Or, archer from behind and her up close. OR, two warriors hitting stuff with a sword :D
Notes: As someone said earlier, her face looks like five miles of bad road
My overall rating: 5.6/10, She does require anchoring, is wrongly skilled, and she got the whole Franken-face going.

Adam Warlock

My plan for the list is to go in alphabetical order. But I wanted to skip any citizens that weren't special (permanent or having special abilities).
And i was wondering if you could give me a rating and some tips on each thrall from personal experience. Thanks!
And before i get too OCD, Adam, this is essentially your thread (by the amount of work and effort you have put into it) feel free to tell me to stop or other.

Primary Skills: Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing,Archery, Light Armor, One-handed,Sneak, Speech
Best Goose to their Maverick: Honestly with warrior-types, you can go with almost anyone. As long as they have a good combat strategy IE: Mage from afar, her up close. Or, archer from behind and her up close. OR, two warriors hitting stuff with a sword :D
My overall rating: 5.6/10, She does require anchoring, is wrongly skilled, and forces you to give up an awesome thrall to have her. And she got the whole Franken-face going.
My thread ?
Quite the contrary as I certainly have learned a lot from all the esteemed necroposters here.
I prefer to view myself as watching an avalanche that was begun by kicking some snow from a mountaintop.

Gotta agree with your rating on Adelesia .
She`s no more than a C-minus even as a living follower.
If you want a female thrall in Imperial garb , Legate Rikke is a far better choice.

BTW You can keep Haldin by anchoring him , then thralling him while still at Japhet`s Folly , then fast travel away from Windhelm when you arrive back , and you should have him for use or storage.
Go back to Windhelm to claim your reward .
If you wish her to be your thrall , Adelasia will then follow you to a remote location to view your weapon collection. The Ebony Blade perhaps ?

Adam Warlock

c. A Bandit Chief and a Bandit Marauder from Fort Hraggstad that I killed just after joining the Legion(fort respawns with soldiers)

:sadface: Sadly reporting these two ^ eventually vanished

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
Here is a small or rather huge list of thralls that others may copy, change, and/or add to if you necromancers feel like it. I would add my own inputs and tidbits but it would make this post even longer and I want others to help with the information on each thrall. I am also on PC Skyrim so I can already do so much with these guys, checking statistics and all...

Most of the notable/best thralls:

Agmaer
Amaund Mottiere
Ancarion
Anise
Anska
Aringoth
Arondil
Aranea Ienith
Atar
Balbus
BBQ Astrid
Beem-Ja
Beleval
Captain Aquilius
Captain Avidius
Champion of Boethiah
Chief Yamarz
Cicero
Commander Maro
Daynas Valen
Deeja
Drahff
Eisa Blackthorn
Elenwen
Emperor Titus Mede II
Eola
Felldir the Old
Florentius Baenius
Galmar Stone-Fist
Gian the Fist
Gormlaith Golden-Hilt
Ghunzul
Hajvarr Iron-Hand
Hakon One-Eye
Haldyn
Hamal
Hamelyn
Hewnon Black-Skeever
Hjordis
Ilia
J'darr
Keeper Carcette
Kesh the Clean
Kornalus
Krev the Skinner
Laelette the Vampire
Legate Rikke
Liutenant Salvarus
Lokil
Malkoran
Malyn Varen (get a Dremora Markynaz while ur at it)
2 Master Cultists (w/ Cultist Orders)
Minorne
Mogrul (Dawnguard)
Mogrul (Dragonborn)
Nana Ildene
Naris the Wicked
Nepos the Nose
Old Orc
Ollrod
Ondolemar
Orchendor
Orini Dral
Paratus Decimius
Rakel
Rigel Strong-Arm
Ritual Master (her and the 4 Necromancers w/ her are permanent)
Rulindil
Safia
Salma
Salvianus
Sarthis Idren
Septimus Signus
Silus Vesuius
Slitter
Sorine Jurard
Stalleo
Sulla Trebatius
The Caller
Telrav (him and the other Nilheim Bandits are permanent)
Tilde
Torkild (Dragonborn)
Uaile
Ulfr the Blind
Umana
Vals Veran
Vittoria Vici
Velehk Sain
Volk
Vori
Wyndelius Gatharian

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer

My overall rating: 5.6/10, She does require anchoring, is wrongly skilled, and forces you to give up an awesome thrall to have her. And she got the whole Franken-face going.
My thread ?
Quite the contrary as I certainly have learned a lot from all the esteemed necroposters here.
I prefer to view myself as watching an avalanche that was begun by kicking some snow from a mountaintop.

Gotta agree with your rating on Adelesia btw.
She`s no more than a C-minus even as a living follower.
If you want a female thrall in Imperial garb , Legate Rikke is a far better choice.

BTW You can keep Haldin by anchoring him , then thralling him while still at Japhet`s Folly , then fast travel away from Windhelm when you arrive back , and you should have him for use or storage.
Go back to Windhelm to claim your reward .
If you wish her to be your thrall , Adelasia will then follow you to a remote location to view your weapon collection. The Ebony Blade perhaps ?
Here, let me add some statistics for her.

Adelaisa Vendicci
lvl. 25
Health 250
Stamina 130
Magicka 130

One Handed 40
Two Handed 15
Archery 35
Block 20
Heavy Armor 20
Light Armor 35
Sneak 35
Destruction 20
Restoration 15
Conjuration 15
Alteration 15
Illusion 15

If anyone can actually confirm for me that the level in a magic school doesn't affect the number of uses on a staff of said magic school so I don't have to keep adding magic stats for melee thralls plz tell me. Note: Heavy Armor adds to the armor rating of Heavy shields and both Heavy & Light Armor add to the armor rating of Light shields, just something to keep in mind.

I have had no personal experience using her as a follower much less a dead thrall b/c of how much she sucks and mostly b/c of using the overpowered, armored Haldyn. I mean look, she is better at light armor than heavy, what gives? I know it's b/c of her class but that is just crap. I guess that is somewhat mitigated since you can change her armor as a follower but she still sucks anyway. She needs to learn from Legate Rikke.

Adam Warlock

If anyone can actually confirm for me that the level in a magic school doesn't affect the number of uses on a staff of said magic school so I don't have to keep adding magic stats for melee thrall

confirmed ^

149px-Bashnag.png

Name:Bashnag
Race: Orc
Level: Radiant (1 - 46)
Health: 50-575
Magika: 100-500
Stamina: 25 - 50
Primary Skills: Conjuration, Restoration, Alteration,Destruction
Moans: Yes but his is tolerable
Perm?: With anchoring since the Sanctum never resets. (unless you take up a falkreath radiant quest and it sends you here)
Best Goose to their Maverick: Honestly any archer or any mage. Seeing as he approaches as a mage, rather than cast from afar (The best person for hime is Arch-Curate Vyrthur, he is the shirtless volleyball scene to Bashnag's Green Orcish Self :p)
Notes: My overall rating: 8.9/10, He does require anchoring and his moan can get to you. But he is a unicorn and i might as well not dock him for his weirdness.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
For all this hard work guys, I fear that this list may get lost in the enormity of this thread. I think its a great idea but perhaps we need either a separate thread for the list or something else that would make it easily accessible?

Adam, this being your thread and inspiring the idea and thought process, perhaps you would like to create it and name it similar to this thread but having 'Thrall List' or something else along those lines...

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
149px-Bashnag.png

Name:Bashnag
Race: Orc
Level: Radiant (1 - 46)
Health: 50-575
Magika: 100-500
Stamina: 25 - 50
Primary Skills: Conjuration, Restoration, Alteration,Destruction
Moans: Yes but his is tolerable
Perm?: With anchoring since the Sanctum never resets. (unless you take up a falkreath radiant quest and it sends you here)
Best Goose to their Maverick: Honestly any archer or any mage. Seeing as he approaches as a mage, rather than cast from afar (The best person for hime is Arch-Curate Vyrthur, he is the shirtless volleyball scene to Bashnag's Green Orcish Self :p)
Notes: My overall rating: 8.9/10, He does require anchoring and his moan can get to you. But he is a unicorn and i might as well not dock him for his weirdness.
Stats at lvl. 46:

Health 575
Stamina 50
Magicka 500

One Handed 20
Two handed 20
Archery 15
Block 20
Heavy Armor 25
Light Armor 15
Sneak 51
Destruction 84
Restoration 100
Conjuration 100
Alteration 84
Illusion 15

The highest quality armor he can spawn with are:
hand - Ebony Guantlets
chest - Dwarven Armor (higher armor rating than Ancient Nord Armor)
feet - Steel Plate Boots
has an equipped necklace and ring

Although this is useless as he is otherwise unthrallable at lvl. 46 and is radiantly leveled too. Where are you getting those pictures anyway? Are you on PC also???

iMACobra

Experienced Necromancer
For all this hard work guys, I fear that this list may get lost in the enormity of this thread. I think its a great idea but perhaps we need either a separate thread for the list or something else that would make it easily accessible?

Adam, this being your thread and inspiring the idea and thought process, perhaps you would like to create it and name it similar to this thread but having 'Thrall List' or something else along those lines...
Oh the list was mostly for Jake to look over as he does his "review" of each thrall.

As far as anchors go, the thieves guild fishing items are the best in my opinion. Mainly because you can start a job, quit it then get the item and have a unlimited source of anchors :)

Adam Warlock

Done and done. :Dragonborn:

See "Undead Rogue`s Gallery : Thralls "

Adam Warlock

:sadface: Must sadly report that all efforts to anchor generic bandits and forsworn have been for naught.
Being a quest target appears to make no difference in the long run.
Anchors hold them in place much longer than usual but they all eventually disappeared.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I have wanted to build a necromancer for awhile but haven't yet, so I find this and the other thread very interesting. Quick question: can you tell me if you can 'swap out' the potential thrall's existing gear with better gear (enchanted or otherwise), or do they have to always use the gear that they had when they died?

Thanks!

You can swap out any thralls equipment and enchant/smith it than return those items to the body again. Upon exiting that cell or fast traveling, the thrall will wear the enchanted 'default' equipment.

A thrall will not wear armour that they would not normally wear. However some enemies have a 'pool' of armours that they will choose between (eg. vampires can either be in robes or Light Vampire Armour, obviously the armour is preferable). By completely stripping your thrall of ALL items than exiting a a cell, they will spawn armour/clothing randomly from their 'pool'.

Forsworn are an exception to this rule. They will wear other Forsworn 'default' armour (from another Forsworn). This means that if you use Forsworn Thralls a lot, you can have just one max enchanted and smithed set of armour and place it on all types of forsworn (dual-wielders, archers, mages).

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
So, to clarify:

I encounter a Bandit Chief, and kill him. He wears Steel Armor, an Iron Helmet, Steel Gauntlets and Iron Boots. He wields a Steel Greatsword. I can loot his body completely, dash off to the nearest Blacksmith (let's assume it is within the same 'cell'), smith the armor and weapon to improve their ratings, and then return to the body. He's lying there in his Skyrim Underoos so I place all the items in his inventory. Upon casting Dead Thrall, he will still be in his skivvies until he follows me out of the 'cell', then he will equip all the gear, is that correct?

(Thanks for your info on this - I never understood quite how it worked)

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
So, to clarify:

I encounter a Bandit Chief, and kill him. He wears Steel Armor, an Iron Helmet, Steel Gauntlets and Iron Boots. He wields a Steel Greatsword. I can loot his body completely, dash off to the nearest Blacksmith (let's assume it is within the same 'cell'), smith the armor and weapon to improve their ratings, and then return to the body. He's lying there in his Skyrim Underoos so I place all the items in his inventory. Upon casting Dead Thrall, he will still be in his skivvies until he follows me out of the 'cell', then he will equip all the gear, is that correct?

(Thanks for your info on this - I never understood quite how it worked)

Sounds spot on to me :)

Note. This only applies to armour/clothing. You can give him a Daedric sword and shield and he will use these over his default weapons. Thralls generally have the same issues as followers when it comes to bow and arrows though, so the highest rated bow may never get used...