Thoughts on non-quest exploring

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
As I'm getting a little bored with the quests (main), and the only two I have left are the thieves and blades ones, I was thinking about doing some exploring. While I could just wander the roads, I was thinking of exploring the northern coast. Starting at Dawnstar I would head west along the coast and then east.

Has anyone done this? Are there interesting things along the way?

I'm also going to explore Labyrinthian (I forgot to get the dragon word there when I was on a quest and have discovered there's a second tomb there).

Beyond that I'm not sure where to go. I don't seem to be finding any other quests out there no matter who I talk to. I guess I'll have to look over my bible 'cause there's a lot of places I can't proceed in that are obviously quest related.

ah3nos

There are tons of things to find. On one of my treks from Iverstead to Windhelm I came across a beautiful waterfall with a fallen tree to cross the gorge. On the tree was a bandit and on the other side a chest with a pretty nice reward.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Daelon DuLac

There are tons of things to find. On one of my treks from Iverstead to Windhelm I came across a beautiful waterfall with a fallen tree to cross the gorge. On the tree was a bandit and on the other side a chest with a pretty nice reward.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Oh Poo... only one bandit? That's hardly a challenge. I think I need to start a new character.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Exploring is 100x better than questing imo. A lot of time I just walk around and look for caves are whatever to start popping up on my compass and then I go explore them. The random drama you will encounter/create on your own is way better than the scripted quest drama imo. Just make sure you bring your pickaxe if you gonna hit the road for a long time. Never know when you might stumble across that lonely gold vein.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
As I'm getting a little bored with the quests (main), and the only two I have left are the thieves and blades ones, I was thinking about doing some exploring. While I could just wander the roads, I was thinking of exploring the northern coast. Starting at Dawnstar I would head west along the coast and then east.

I'm also going to explore Labyrinthian (I forgot to get the dragon word there when I was on a quest and have discovered there's a second tomb there).

Beyond that I'm not sure where to go. I don't seem to be finding any other quests out there no matter who I talk to. I guess I'll have to look over my bible 'cause there's a lot of places I can't proceed in that are obviously quest related.
I have. There's a lot of horkers and a few caves pretty isolated and rugged part of Skyrim. You'll end up at castle Volkihar or whatever it's called.

LotusEater

Watch that run across the top of the map. I was running into three sabre cats at once on that route... more than once. Sometimes a bear would even jump in.

Daelon DuLac

Watch that run across the top of the map. I was running into three sabre cats at once on that route... more than once. Sometimes a bear would even jump in.
Cool! I think I'm getting bored because I'm high level and have already hit most everything at least once so am looking for new places to explore (oh, and I'm avoiding Delphine and those damned thieves (I'm just not very good at stealing things)) :)

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !

I’ve done it before and matter of fact, I use that route constantly when I do not want to use fast travel between the College and Solitude. There are a few places you will find along the coast. Have you seen the light house close to the College ? Get in there and go downstairs; you will fight a lot of falmers and those freaking worms. That place is deep and huge, creepy and they are going to try to ambush you.

Now if you want a more challenging task, go to East coast, right almost in front of the Snow Veil Sanctun ( on the water in the little island south-east ) there is a small iceberg and you can find a chest full of gold ingots. It is very difficult to find but it is there.
I was trying to build my house and I needed gold ingot to build my alchemy and enchanting table and I did not have gold ingots, so I found out about that chest in the net and even I was looking at the picture in the net, it was tough to find it. If you like exploring, then try to find that iceberg and you’ll see how long it will take you to get there. :)

Daelon DuLac

I’ve done it before and matter of fact, I use that route constantly when I do not want to use fast travel between the College and Solitude. There are a few places you will find along the coast. Have you seen the light house close to the College ? Get in there and go downstairs; you will fight a lot of falmers and those freaking worms. That place is deep and huge, creepy and they are going to try to ambush you.

Now if you want a more challenging task, go to East coast, right almost in front of the Snow Veil Sanctun ( on the water in the little island south-east ) there is a small iceberg and you can find a chest full of gold ingots. It is very difficult to find but it is there.
I was trying to build my house and I needed gold ingot to build my alchemy and enchanting table and I did not have gold ingots, so I found out about that chest in the net and even I was looking at the picture in the net, it was tough to find it. If you like exploring, then try to find that iceberg and you’ll see how long it will take you to get there. :)
That sounds cool. I've done Frostbite (sic - I know that's wrong, but I can't remember Frostmere, Frostflow? I think it's Frostflow) Lighthouse. I had a lot of fun since I luv fighting Chaurus and Falmers.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Daelon, in the above message window is the link to YouTube and it will show you where that chest is located. Let me know if it was easy for you to find it. ;)

Daelon DuLac

Daelon, in the above message window is the link to YouTube and it will show you where that chest is located. Let me know if it was easy for you to find it. ;)
Will do! Thanks!

LotusEater

My favorite area to wander is the W/SW side of the map where Markarth and the Forsworn camps are. Beautiful landscapes and lots of dangerous areas.

Daelon DuLac

My favorite area to wander is the W/SW side of the map where Markarth and the Forsworn camps are. Beautiful landscapes and lots of dangerous areas.
I always like the Rift. Lotsa bears!

Twiffle

Now this idea i like, its so simple why didnt i think of just leaving helgen and wandering, see what i find and not bothering with any quests (main, DB, TG etc) just do what comes along and explore, , , i think i feel a bout of rerollitis coming on, :rolleyes:

LotusEater

Now this idea i like, its so simple why didnt i think of just leaving helgen and wandering, see what i find and not bothering with any quests (main, DB, TG etc) just do what comes along and explore, , , i think i feel a bout of rerollitis coming on, :rolleyes:

My girlfriend and her daughter will literally sit on the couch and watch me play when I'm just wandering aimlessly. They say it's better than anything else on TV. Lol. That's how crazy things can get.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
I think exploring is fun, rewarding, also an effective way to play the game to its fullest.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
i don't like exploring in the vanilla game its a CAVE simulator stated by Robbaz
How can you say you enjoy Skyrim when you alter the game to be completely different... I can see fixing bugs, changing graphics and alternating looks, but adding new guilds, quests, Cave simulator, completely changing the game. Why play Skyrim at all. Don't get me wrong you have the right to do what you do... I just don't get it.