• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mytheos

Im planning on making a thief, my skills i plan to use will be:

-sneak
-one handed
-pickpocket
-alchemy
-archery
-illusion
-light armor

Im looking to figure out what skills i should invest heavily in, and if i should even attempt blocking in case things go badly.

I love the idea of using poisons and reverse pickpocketing them into the pockets of enemies.

Archery and alchemy seem really fun. And im not going to smith or enchant.

So... any advice? Ill probably use a breton since i like the way he looks.

Now... besides being a vampire. Or using the tenth eye illusion spell? Is their anyway i can see better in the dark?

I may end up just using the vampire. But i dont like being weaker during the day. Especially since im not enchanting...

Im so looking forward to this build. All advice is welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk

Troll.0

Focus on sneak perks early and get 15x and then 30x damage so everything is easy. Make sure One handed is also caught up and you will be good for melee combat.

I used a bow to avoid melee combat.

SSG IrishGirl

Awesome Sauce
Definitely focus on building your sneak perks. I would not suggest becoming a vampire as a thief. That was my first idea too. Create an awesome evil character, but it came back to bite me.

As a thief/vampire it is too easy to botch a job if you don't keep up qwith feeding. After a day or two without feeding people attack you on the spot. If you fast travel a lot it is really easy to lose track of time.

Overall, being a vampire is a cool idea but it is more of a hassle in the long run. I would suggest doing the Nightingale quest for sure though. It provides a cool "dark" storyline as a thief. ;)

asparticus_maraudius

I am asparticus fear my wrath!!!!!!

-sneak
-one handed
-pickpocket
-alchemy
-archery
-illusion
-light armor

Im looking to figure out what skills i should invest heavily in, and if i should even attempt blocking in case things go badly.

I love the idea of using poisons and reverse pickpocketing them into the pockets of enemies.

you might want to invest in joining the thieves guild first and get skills in lockpicking.

the reason why is you are breaking into houses,also you need to invest as well in sneaking abilities to light armour.

my character is a theif/assassin high elf.

and if your using invisibility for the theives guild, some good dark armour is most best equiped to your body,its ninja armour.and use enchantements for your blades and always use daggers and enchant them because it helps with quick kills,because you might need to quick kill by sneaking behind a person on skyrim and get away un caught by the gaurds.use the sneak invisibility for powers.

Now... besides being a vampire. Or using the tenth eye illusion spell? Is their anyway i can see better in the dark?

I may end up just using the vampire. But i dont like being weaker during the day. Especially since im not enchanting...

Choose your race wisely, don't just choose the one that looks the coolest. I would say the most important part of a race is their racial abilities. Their starting skill levels don't matter much because you can just get them higher over time. I would recommend the khajiit because it's racial ability allows them to see better in the dark (they also do extra unarmed damage with their claws).

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Choose your race wisely, don't just choose the one that looks the coolest. I would say the most important part of a race is their racial abilities. Their starting skill levels don't matter much because you can just get them higher over time. I would recommend the khajiit because it's racial ability allows them to see better in the dark (they also do extra unarmed damage with their claws).

If that's the case, then you really can't match the Orcs. The ability to do double damage while only taking half is extremely helpful.

not taking smithing eh?

if you're not taking it because you don't want to play that way may I suggest putting 10 perk points into conjuration and illusion for a bound bow and quiet casting, it would make for an excellent compliment to a knife (knife in you're right hand bound bow in your left), you will only need one knife out at a time (30x damage + mehrunes razor usually kills anything) and if you need to do a long distance kill you don't need to muck about in menus (not to mention not needing arrows). if you do do this than I suggest you put your base magicka up to 220 and divide the rest between health and stam (more stam because you shouldn't be getting hit too much), 220 is JUST enough to duel cast bound bow with the appropriate perks (duel casting and adept level) and it's handy to have a longer up time when you think you'll be going into a linger fight.

as to block, you need to ask yourself if you'd ever use it, my main has all the block perks but rarely even pulls the thing out, it's always faster to just use a my knife like a meat grinder and go nuts, or even better just fire an arrow of point blank, not to mention a good poison negates the need completely (paralyze or slow is you're best friends).

P.S. go whatever race you want, you'll rarely use/need the perks past the beginning of the game and even then most are negligible, you'll be much happier with a race you like, this isn't WoW, you don't need to min/max you're character to do well.

Panthera

Don Gato
not taking smithing eh?

if you're not taking it because you don't want to play that way may I suggest putting 10 perk points into conjuration and illusion for a bound bow and quiet casting, it would make for an excellent compliment to a knife (knife in you're right hand bound bow in your left), you will only need one knife out at a time (30x damage + mehrunes razor usually kills anything) and if you need to do a long distance kill you don't need to muck about in menus (not to mention not needing arrows). if you do do this than I suggest you put your base magicka up to 220 and divide the rest between health and stam (more stam because you shouldn't be getting hit too much), 220 is JUST enough to duel cast bound bow with the appropriate perks (duel casting and adept level) and it's handy to have a longer up time when you think you'll be going into a linger fight.

as to block, you need to ask yourself if you'd ever use it, my main has all the block perks but rarely even pulls the thing out, it's always faster to just use a my knife like a meat grinder and go nuts, or even better just fire an arrow of point blank, not to mention a good poison negates the need completely (paralyze or slow is you're best friends).

P.S. go whatever race you want, you'll rarely use/need the perks past the beginning of the game and even then most are negligible, you'll be much happier with a race you like, this isn't WoW, you don't need to min/max you're character to do well.
Are we still talking about thief class? ...although I agree choose race you like it really doesn't matter much at the end.

-sneak
-one handed
-pickpocket
-alchemy
-archery
-illusion
-light armor

If you want to have night vision I recommend Khajiit. This race can turn on and turn of night vision with no magica cost. Also because is natural assassin it will be an easy start as a thief. If you are about appearances and planing on having nightingale armor I don't recommend Khajiit because nightingale hood flattens your face... kinda looks like human with a furry tail. Anyway... For start you should level primary sneak, one hand and secondary archery.

Are we still talking about thief class?

only the combat side, and if he's interested in archery as well as a knife for combat with no smithing than thatis what i recommend. it sounds like he's already gonna take illusion, and he already has a knife, and is interested in archery, if you're not taking it as a primary form of engagement than you won't want to be spending too much time thinking arrows and you probably don't want to be switching weapons all that often, having it in you're off hand means that you'll always have you're knife out, but a bow is just a cast away, making for a very flexible ability to engage, and when you're a theif you either choose how you engage or it gets thrust upon you, when you can choose how to engage you usually want to put around a few poisons or strip them of their gear, or even just backstab them all one by one, but if they spot and engage you they may be on a different level or at a hard to close distance, this is when you want a bow, for when plops hits the fan and melee just won't cut it.

Panthera

Don Gato
only the combat side, and if he's interested in archery as well as a knife for combat with no smithing than thatis what i recommend. it sounds like he's already gonna take illusion, and he already has a knife, and is interested in archery, if you're not taking it as a primary form of engagement than you won't want to be spending too much time thinking arrows and you probably don't want to be switching weapons all that often, having it in you're off hand means that you'll always have you're knife out, but a bow is just a cast away, making for a very flexible ability to engage, and when you're a theif you either choose how you engage or it gets thrust upon you, when you can choose how to engage you usually want to put around a few poisons or strip them of their gear, or even just backstab them all one by one, but if they spot and engage you they may be on a different level or at a hard to close distance, this is when you want a bow, for when pl*** hits the fan and melee just won't cut it.
You know you really don't want to waste perks for that on beginning when you should use it on one hand and archery for more damage output... Because it's not good idea to lvl up while your damage output is weak cuz you will be annihilated by leveled enemies. He should concentrate to level one hand, archery and sneak... after that he can choose how he will continue.

You know you really don't want to waste perks for that on beginning when you should use it on one hand and archery for more damage output... Because it's not good idea to lvl up while your damage output is weak cuz you will be annihilated by leveled enemies. He should concentrate to level one hand, archery and sneak... after that he can choose how he will continue.

of course you don't want to be perking your alternate combat abilities early on, I'm just thinking down the track he might.

when you have reached max level a few times it becomes hard to think about perk allocation at lower levels, so I find it easier to decide on an end point and work my way there.

-sneak
-one handed
-pickpocket
-alchemy
-archery
-illusion
-light armor

i'm doing a stealth/thief character right now and imo

1. Sneak
2. Archery
3. Pickpocket
4a. One handed
4b. Illusion
6. Light armor- once you get your levels up on the 5 above you shouldn't need light armor as you should hardly ever get hit.
i don't use alchemy.

seeing in the dark isn't really that big of an issue for me but i suppose if your worried about it you should go ahead and choose to be a Khajiit

Necromis

Bound bow can be great, but it is not necessary for the thief. I agree choose a race you want to RP and forget about the abilities it has. As has been said, concentrate on sneak as your main skill. Then on 1H and archery. You don't have to smith to get decent bows/daggers in the game. Though for daggers I would probably suggest doing the DB questline as well to get the Blade of Woe, and the Daedric questline to get M's Razor. The DB armour is also the best you can get, even better, IMO, than the TG armour for your attack skills and sneak skills. Also you can get it at a very early point in the game. Just take the carriage from Whiterun to Windhelm, initiate the quest, take the carriage to riften, complete the kill, and fast travel back. You don't even need to have started the Dragon Rising questline to already have this questline started and the DB armour.

On illusion, be sure to use the fury spells on groups, to work your perks up to quiet casting, and also to effect higher level NPCs. You can also get training at the Mage's college in Winter Hold, That guy is a master level trainer, but he does cost based on your level.

Back to bow/dagger. If you are on a PC the favs work much nicer than the consoles, so it is easy to have your daggers on 1 & 2, your bow on 3, and your illusion spells say up at 7 & 8, that is how I run someone like that. Then all you do is equip your two daggers, equip your bow on top of that, and then when you unequip your bow it automatically reverts back to the two daggers equiped. All of this with just toggling one button.

Hope these tips help.

Panthera

Don Gato
of course you don't want to be perking your alternate combat abilities early on, I'm just thinking down the track he might.

when you have reached max level a few times it becomes hard to think about perk allocation at lower levels, so I find it easier to decide on an end point and work my way there.
Considering he is just starting... telling him about stuff he will care later on, doesn't help him much now. For now the most important skills are sneak, one hand and archery... later on when he gets hang on it and becomes strong enough he will level skills by his needs and desires. That way he will form his own character. Btw I might try that idea you mention before! :)

Troll.0

This is so wrong. Do not think your only options are racial. Not all thieves in the Ragged Flagon are Khajiit or Wood Elf. Not every assassin is an Argonian. Racials are minor parts of a character, and the bonuses they provide can be found in game(not always). Yes, certain races provide good racials (orcs/breton).

Never pick a race just because its racials are good.

Also: If you pick Argonian/Khajiit and get the nightingale armor, your tail sticks through the cape. (it bugs me)

Gyllenhall

in my opinion illusion is the strongest tree for a thief, it can calm enemys or get them to kill each other, im playing a thief on master and illusion was the first thing i leveled (apart from sneak, thats always going to be your highest) because it saved my life so many times.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Sneak sneak and more sneak. I'm at lv. 80 sneak now and with 30x backstab I'm pretty much one hitting everything. I one hit my first dragon at lv. 20.

Mytheos

My race is not really influencing me. I like my breton a lot. And so far so good guys! Ive been focusing on sneak and focusing on one handed/archery. Just started putting points in alchemy. Im wondering if illusion is even worth it.... if i make frenzy potions well i dont need illusion do i?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts