• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cyren

I returned the key because it was the right thing to do, and as a side note, my lockpick skill is at 100 (no perk points) so I have no problem opening locks. After returning the Skeleton key, the reward is well worth giving it up.

I know... I know... It has been bugging me, and I will return it eventually. I have been hoarding lock picks preparing myself to go ahead with it.

kaisersaucy

Personally I dont like the Imperials as they are just Thalmor puppets........but I will be playing through their story on a future play through, because I want to experience everything the game has.

Look at it that way. You may not like them, but they have interesting characters and quests, well worth experiencing. The Dark Brotherhood aren't exactly nice are they? And while I've yet to join them in Skyrim (like saving the best for last) Their quest line in Oblivion was easily the best and most interesting of the guild quests in Oblivion. If it makes you feel better you could become a Robin Hood type character.......do the missions handed out, but give donations to beggars, temples, wandering farmers who have lost their homes and crops to dragon attacks. That way you'll be doing some good with some of your ill gotten gains

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Meaning, they don't do anything for riften's people, but they stop stealing from them, right? So, who will they steal from?

They technically don't do anything much but hang out in the Ragged Flagon Cistern. If anything needs done, guess who has to go do it? It irks me that I can become the Guildmaster but they still want me to go do jobs. Excuse me? Did Mercer ever have to drag his sorry ass away from that desk? No? Well that's because he was the damn Guildmaster! I want this tribute chest filled up pronto! No lollygagging!

Cyren

They technically don't do anything much but hang out in the Ragged Flagon Cistern. If anything needs done, guess who has to go do it? It irks me that I can become the Guildmaster but they still want me to go do jobs. Excuse me? Did Mercer ever have to drag his sorry ass away from that desk? No? Well that's because he was the damn Guildmaster! I want this tribute chest filled up pronto! No lollygagging!

Actually, I was sent to change books in Riften and there was a whole bunch of thieves from the guild robbing the place while I was there.

Chryss

Personally I dont like the Imperials as they are just Thalmor puppets........but I will be playing through their story on a future play through, because I want to experience everything the game has.

If you read the notes on Ulfric Stormcloak, which you get during Diplomatic Immunity, both the Imperials and the Stormcloaks are the Thalmar puppets. Both sides are being played. That was the clear message I got from there.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Actually, I was sent to change books in Riften and there was a whole bunch of thieves from the guild robbing the place while I was there.
Well that's a new one on me. Nice to see them earning their keep for a change. I'd swear the people of Skyrim can't pick their own noses without my help.

Cyren

Well that's a new one on me. Nice to see them earning their keep for a change. I'd swear the people of Skyrim can't pick their own noses without my help.

I noticed that... and it always seems like such a great idea of I do it... it is not really asked for, but expected.

Sedge

Look at it that way. You may not like them, but they have interesting characters and quests, well worth experiencing. The Dark Brotherhood aren't exactly nice are they? And while I've yet to join them in Skyrim (like saving the best for last) Their quest line in Oblivion was easily the best and most interesting of the guild quests in Oblivion. If it makes you feel better you could become a Robin Hood type character.......do the missions handed out, but give donations to beggars, temples, wandering farmers who have lost their homes and crops to dragon attacks. That way you'll be doing some good with some of your ill gotten gains

That quest you're talking about... It's a Thieves Guild quest or a Dark Brotherhood quest?
The Dark Brotherhood is a good guild to join? What do we do in there?

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki

What does the Dark Brotherhood do?

6912047-md.jpg

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Quoted from ReaperEOD as that was the answer he gave me when i asked pritty much the same one you posted. MushroomGenius

Oh. I'm well aware of what they do, I've finished the questline. I was just re-posting Sedge's question so that I could answer it with the image. :D

Sparkz

Mysterious Creature
A bit of information on The Dark Brotherhood

The Dark Brotherhood has lost it's way. In Oblivion, the Dark Brotherhood gave an Illuminati feel to them. Strategically assassinating those who deserved it to shape the future of man and mer alike. Nowadays though, one of your early quests is to even kill a lowly homelessman awaiting the return of his dead sister, and the DB has forsaken their old beliefs too.

Quoted from ReaperEod as this was his answer to me when i asked pritty much the same thing.

Sparkz

Mysterious Creature
Oh. I'm well aware of what they do, I've finished the questline. I was just re-posting Sedge's question so that I could answer it with the image. :D

ya i realize this now after i posted.

Chryss

I have saved the Dark brotherhood til last. Now reading what everyone has to say, I am not sure I can go through with this questline knowing that you have to assinate people for no "good" reason, just because.
*sigh* what to do, what to do.....

xaraan

I like the guild myself, but it does suck that not only is there no option to wipe them out but there is a lot of stuff you can't get to if you don't do their questline. Some unique armor and weapons and one of the better questlines IMO outside of the main quest.

It's awesome when you return the guild to glory though and you can bribe guards in all the major holds if they bust you for something and you can also fence stuff in several different holds with people that have up to 4K gold. Even if you don't steal stuff it's nice to just go to one place and sell off all your extra stuff and not need to go to ten different stores.

xaraan

I have saved the Dark brotherhood til last. Now reading what everyone has to say, I am not sure I can go through with this questline knowing that you have to assinate people for no "good" reason, just because.
*sigh* what to do, what to do.....

you can choose to eliminate them (if you haven't already been accepted into their ranks). You won't get quite as much cool gear, but you'll still get some of the stuff off them and get access to their base where the wordwall and unusual gem is.

xaraan

Have you returned them to former glory yet? If not then you aren't the guildmaster yet truly. I did this on my first playthrough, I went through the mercer quest and didn't do any side quests for Vex and Delvin. For anyone that doesn't know, if you do five of their jobs in each major hold (five total, not five from each person) Devlin gives you a special job in that area. (This is how you get another special armor: Linwe's armor, by doing the special job in Windhelm) Once you do this in Windhelm, Solitude, Markarth and Whiterun & then finish the Mercer quest (though you can do that first if you want but it makes more sense to do them as you work through the story) then you will be Guildmaster, get the GM armor and the amulet of articulation; the Tribute chest gets stuff in it from time to time and the people react to you differently. Sometimes they still ask you for jobs, but mostly Delvin says stuff like "hey boss" when you walk by instead. In addition to the goodies you also end up with Fences in all those major areas, plus the Khaajit caravans and the girl in the Flagon all will have 4K gold to buy stuff from you. Plus the four cubby holes in the Flagon will now have shops in them that sell mostly a variety of enchanted weapons/armor and potions. Plus you can bribe guards for offenses in any of these holds when you get caught for killing or stealing or whatever. Best way to do this is just to spam through jobs until you get one from Vex and one from Delvin in the same hold and do them both at the same time. If you get jobs in Riften or jobs in places you done or don't want to do yet just turn the job back in and "Fail" them. There is no actual game repercussions for it, just a failed job in your log and they make a smart comment.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Have you returned them to former glory yet? If not then you aren't the guildmaster yet truly. I did this on my first playthrough, I went through the mercer quest and didn't do any side quests for Vex and Delvin. For anyone that doesn't know, if you do five of their jobs in each major hold (five total, not five from each person) Devlin gives you a special job in that area. (This is how you get another special armor: Linwe's armor, by doing the special job in Windhelm) Once you do this in Windhelm, Solitude, Markarth and Whiterun & then finish the Mercer quest (though you can do that first if you want but it makes more sense to do them as you work through the story) then you will be Guildmaster, get the GM armor and the amulet of articulation; the Tribute chest gets stuff in it from time to time and the people react to you differently. Sometimes they still ask you for jobs, but mostly Delvin says stuff like "hey boss" when you walk by instead. In addition to the goodies you also end up with Fences in all those major areas, plus the Khaajit caravans and the girl in the Flagon all will have 4K gold to buy stuff from you. Plus the four cubby holes in the Flagon will now have shops in them that sell mostly a variety of enchanted weapons/armor and potions. Plus you can bribe guards for offenses in any of these holds when you get caught for killing or stealing or whatever. Best way to do this is just to spam through jobs until you get one from Vex and one from Delvin in the same hold and do them both at the same time. If you get jobs in Riften or jobs in places you done or don't want to do yet just turn the job back in and "Fail" them. There is no actual game repercussions for it, just a failed job in your log and they make a smart comment.
Yep. Been there, got the armor and amulet. My rant is more to do with the lack of recognition the Dragonborn tends to get and how nothing much changes even after I become the head cheese. As "boss" I should be handing out jobs, not running them.

kaisersaucy

That quest you're talking about... It's a Thieves Guild quest or a Dark Brotherhood quest?

The Dark Brotherhood are an assassins guild. Their backstory is that they worship the night mother who is the bride of Sithis. Their hierarchy is called the hand, they have one listener who receives orders from the night mother, and four fingers who are the speakers, they pass on the orders from the listener to the head of the various sanctuary's & then the contracts are passed out to the guild brother or sister who is judged best suited to the task. Each listener also has a personal assassin, In Oblivion they were likened to the claw of the finger. People contact the night mother by conducting a ritual using the blood and bones of people, the night mother takes note & a speaker visits them, a deal is struck for money & the contract for assassination is then passed on to the nearest sanctuary. That's just a quick explanation, there are various in game books in Oblivion which expand on the development of the DB, and you'll learn from joining them too.

If you've not played Oblivion, get yourself a copy. It's the previous game in the elder scrolls series, excellent game, great story, tons of thing's to do, I happily played and replayed it about 5 times. Get yourself the game of the year edition, got some good and quite lengthy expansions on it.