the strength of dragons

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pestilence

Uneducated guesses since 1983
This thread might help you out a bit. If you have any specific questions about them that's not answered there, feel free to ask.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Yes, depending on their color you can estimate their strength. Look up the thread that Pestilence linked to (just click on the word “This” in his post).

zane2453

The Bill Gates of Skyrim
The higher level you are, the stronger they are. There are also different titles infront of dragon.. like frost, elder, blood, ect.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
It doesn't matter what they are. All dragons are easy in this game. I do not fear the dragons. Giants on the other hand are the hardest to beat.

Giants easy, I one shot them with my Daedric Bow & Daedric Arrows.

The lower level Dragons I usually one hit them too but some of the higher level ones I've had to hit them twice, except for Alduin who I just went head to head with using an Ebony Sword. Both the Bow & Sword are legendary with Soul Trap.

ItsBenniBlack

Mehti Oba
easy? u must be level 80 or something i encountered a dragon that took me almost an hour or so to beat when i was only level 14 but it worked out because its attention was mainly on the giants, but jeeeeeeeez it took a while, and im saving the souls of dragons to use them as needed some of the shouts i feel arent important

Dragon Bourne

Long Live Paarthurnax!
I seem to be missing out on Dragon Slaying opps of late. They used to spawn all the time but it has been days (literally) since I have ahd a randowm dragon encounter. Anyone else having this problem?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
easy? u must be level 80 or something i encountered a dragon that took me almost an hour or so to beat when i was only level 14 but it worked out because its attention was mainly on the giants, but jeeeeeeeez it took a while, and im saving the souls of dragons to use them as needed some of the shouts i feel arent important

I was one hitting giants from level 24 & one hitting dragons a level or 2 later.

I seem to be missing out on Dragon Slaying opps of late. They used to spawn all the time but it has been days (literally) since I have ahd a randowm dragon encounter. Anyone else having this problem?

You could go looking around their spawns or where the dragon shouts are or just explore the map by foot. I've found that the dragons seem to appear at the most inappropriate times sometimes...lol

ItsBenniBlack

Mehti Oba

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Just remember though, I had the archery, smithing & sneak perks up, to achieve what I did.

Evelyn

im saving the souls of dragons to use them as needed some of the shouts i feel arent important

You'll eventually get so stacked on souls from random encounters I wouldn't worry about it. That is unless you spend all your time dwelling in caves collecting shouts.

but really, I had 16 dragon souls available and 12 different shouts at my disposal, and never had to wait to unlock one.

ItsBenniBlack

Mehti Oba
You'll eventually get so stacked on souls from random encounters I wouldn't worry about it. That is unless you spend all your time dwelling in caves collecting shouts.

but really, I had 16 dragon souls available and 12 different shouts at my disposal, and never had to wait to unlock one.

i am seeing that now i just ran into 3 freaking dragons and elder dragon, frost dragon and then a plain dragon wtf!!! lol

.:The_Steel_Arrow:.

Ultimate Archer
I don't think they're that tough. I mean, when I was level 13, I took down a Blood Dragon with only my Elven Bow, Steel Arrows, and a GIANT STEEL BATTLE-AXE TO THE FACE! And full Steel Armor.

ItsBenniBlack

Mehti Oba
I don't think they're that tough. I mean, when I was level 13, I took down a Blood Dragon with only my Elven Bow, Steel Arrows, and a GIANT STEEL BATTLE-AXE TO THE FACE! And full Steel Armor.

yea ive beaten a dragon fairly easy then but something is different now

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The higher level you are, the stronger they are. There are also different titles infront of dragon.. like frost, elder, blood, ect.
Not true. Look at the link to the thread in Pestilence's post. Levels are hard set by the type of Dragon. While encountering a much higher level dragon than you is very rare, it can happen and the reason why most of the people in this thread are saying it's so easy to kill dragons is because it never happened to them.

At level 30 on Master difficulty setting it's very hard, if not impossible to kill an Ancient Dragon. It's going to hit you with 200 points of damage per second with its breath attack so even if you have the 85% cap on your Resist enchantments, if it lands a breath attack on you it can deliver close to a hundred points of damage through your Resist enchantments. With its over 3,000 health points and your damage halved on Master difficulty setting, exchanges of ranged damage are going to be fairly lopsided. Melee exchanges aren't going to be easy either with 120 points of damage chewing through the maximum damage reduction you can get from armor.

SaveVsBedWet

Not true. Look at the link to the thread in Pestilence's post. Levels are hard set by the type of Dragon. While encountering a much higher level dragon than you is very rare, it can happen and the reason why most of the people in this thread are saying it's so easy to kill dragons is because it never happened to them.

At level 30 on Master difficulty setting it's very hard, if not impossible to kill an Ancient Dragon. It's going to hit you with 200 points of damage per second with its breath attack so even if you have the 85% cap on your Resist enchantments, if it lands a breath attack on you it can deliver close to a hundred points of damage through your Resist enchantments. With its over 3,000 health points and your damage halved on Master difficulty setting, exchanges of ranged damage are going to be fairly lopsided. Melee exchanges aren't going to be easy either with 120 points of damage chewing through the maximum damage reduction you can get from armor.

Oh jeez. Where were you on the thread I started about this? This explains everything.

As I said on that thread, dragons seem to have all become Godzilla starting immediately after the free dental I gave Alduin. I had to look and finally notice that the last one was Ancient. And actually in hindsight, so were the others I'd faced. They straight up took me behind the woodshed, as though I had no armor and when I hit them I heard the same sound you hear when you swing on a wall. I went from throwing two dual wield spin moves and putting a dragon down to not even being able to pop a zit on their faces. Literally overnight. And this is with Mehrune's Razor in one hand and a mace doing 120 base plus another 25 fire damage and half magicka damage, WHILE ignoring 50% armor in the other hand.

37th level is where I started getting the rented mule treatment. I never seriously looked for a hit point rating for the monsters or NPCs in the game, so I figured 300-500 at max. Had I known it could range up to 3000 I'd have just run my ass off and lied about it at the tavern that evening.

And 200 points per second? Now that I recall my health meter, that is about right. I just could not accept that it was actually possible. Had to be a bug. I used to let dragons hit me with the breath weapon twice just so I could get right up to them and Fus Roh their open mouths. Cause it's funnier that way.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts