• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Katastrophe

King of Tales
I. Introduction | II. Gameplay Rules | III. Updates and Index

Hello and welcome to my second... would it be an attempt? I dunno... anyways, this is a journal. I had a previous one (Cast Out, the Diary of Valuss) however, I accidently saved over the file... I learned a lot from it, however. What works, what doesn't work, etc. I also realized that I had a tendency to let my desire for a good plot trump my desire for good character development. Or perhaps I'm totally wrong... regardless, start over I shall, and I do so with Izo, my lovely Argonian assassin.

Shadowscale, you ask? Oh no. Izo belongs to a group known as The Order. I've created their lore in general, still working on specifics... To call them a group of an assassins would be an insult, really. They are masters of manipulation - assassination just happens to be one of their tactics. They are the invisible hand that orchestrates the course of history that, by all records, does not exist. To be more specific, let's talk about Izo.

Izo is a hunter and tracker, primarily, and an all around scavenger. Having been raised in Morrowind, he's done nothing but live on his own and make his own way through life, not all of it honestly. In fact, none of it is done honestly. When it comes to his approach, Izo prefers a bow or, if possible, a dagger, and remain unscene. When forced into combat, the axe is his choice. He also dabbles in alchemy and some magic, when it suits his needs.

So why is Izo in Skyrim? He was recruited by The Order nearly half a decade ago and has been in training since. It has come time for his final trial before achieving the full title of "Assassin", and his mission (while grand) is fairly simple: kill Ulfric Stormcloak. However, that plan has gone horribly, horribly wrong...

Katastrophe

King of Tales
I. Introduction | II. Gameplay Rules | III. Updates and Index

1. No Fast Travel
I feel like this should go without saying as it's the most common self-imposed rule, in my opinion. I can only use the carriages and ferrymen (I'm using Dawnguard DLC) to travel, aside from my feet.

2. Difficulty Change
I will be playing on Expert difficulty until I reach level 10. Then, provided I'm not in a fight, I will switch over to Master.

3. Saving
I cannot manually save unless I sleep.

4. Sleeping
I must sleep regularly, presumably 8 hours a night. Rare exceptions can be made. I will not be imposing the food and drink rule in-game as I find that this becomes more of a chore than a challenge.

5. Dead is Not Really Dead
Because I desire to play as much as I can with this character, dying will simply revert me to my last auto-save. As much as I'd love to do and admire the Dead is Dead rule, this one will not use that rule. Although, in the future, I might.

6. Looting
With the exception of necklaces, rings and arrows, I cannot loot any piece of equipment that is marked as "equipped" from any body.

7. Buying Goods
I cannot buy weapons, armor or spell books from any general store. I can buy spell books from court wizards but everything else must be found and/or made. Essentially, I may only purchase raw materials, potions, and lockpicks.

8. Things Take Time
Crafting armor, enchanting equipment and mixing potions requires time. I have specific rules for how long I must wait when making these things based on what they are.

9. No Game Breaking
No crazy enchanting/smithing/alchemy tricks. Also, no overly powerful abilities (Shadow Warrior, I'm looking at you...)

Katastrophe

King of Tales
- 17th of Last Seed, 4E 201 -

In the event that anyone should find this journal, then I am either dead or captured. Read it if you like, but I urge you to take this book to the Shadow Stone - I'm told it's somewhere south of Riften. At sunset, there will, or at least should, be a hawk that roosts there. Present this tome before the hawk and leave. If I am truly dead, than consider this my last request and honor it.

My name is Izo, and I was charged with the task of assassinating Ulfric Stormcloak. This was to be done today and the aforementioned date, but I have failed due to unforeseen circumstances. Namely, a dragon. It was all planned out with the guards posted in Helgen and the headsmen. I was to be captured and lined up for the block with the rest of the Stormcloaks. When the axe would come down, I was to use it to cut my bindings and kill Ulfric with my bare hands. The archers in Helgen would miss me as I escaped and the whole thing would look like the act of some random Argonian that was presumably furious with Ulfric and his acts in Windhelm towards my people.

We had known of the Empire's plans to capture and execute Ulfric long before it happened. When one of the Stormcloaks leaked the information of Ulfric's movements to Imperials, our informants were there to pass along the news to us, and our path was clear. We had hoped to end this conflict while keeping Ulfric alive but a kidnapping or rescue would draw too much attention. In truth, we have stopped several assassination attempts on his life over the years. He is worth more to us alive, if he could be swayed from ending this conflict. But that seems unlikely as ever, now.

As I said, a dragon attacked Helgen. This through off our plan entirely. I managed to escape with a Stormcloak named Ralof. The Empire as a whole does not know of our plans to assassinate Ulfric and was not aware of my staged capture. They would, no doubt, pursue my death if they catch me again and recognize me. The captain who was in charge of the execution, someone we had paid off, was killed during my escape. There is no one left to vouch for my innocence in the eyes of the Empire. I find myself asking "Now what?" Ralof's sister, Gerdur, has granted me asylum in their home in Riverwood.

I spent a fair amount of time in Riverwood after I returned, harvest the natural fauna outside town to brew into potions, most of which I traded to the the local shop in exchange for some pelts which the smith helped me craft into a fine set of leather armor. I have composed a letter to our Grandmaster asking for his guidance and sent it with a hawk I managed to capture. I can only hope now that he will show understanding in why I have failed and allow me to continue my initiation. Until then, Riverwood shall be my home. I must await my next orders.

Faal vulom los sulyek.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
- 18th of Last Seed, 4E 201 -

What a long, long day. It began early, before the sun came up. As I said before, until I receive further instructions, I should stay in Riverwood. Gerdur asked me when I arrived to send word of the dragon to the Jarl in Whiterun, but I cannot travel that far. No doubt that even without my letter, word of my failure has reached the Grandmaster's ears. I can only hope that my letter reaches him in time to give him better understanding. I cannot help but think what will become of me if he deems my failure complete. Will I simply have failed my initiation? No, not likely... I fear that they will come for me and kill me. At this point, I could be nothing but a loose end - a liability to them...

I decided to go hunting. I will need food and perhaps the pelts can generate some income for me. I hadn't been in the woods long before I came upon and took down a wolf, skinning it and cutting free some of the meat. Not far from there, I happened across a mine. Normally, I would have let it be if not for the guard posted outside the entrance. From her attire, she looked poor and untrained, yet ruthless. She had the look in her eye that she had taken someone's life. I took hers. My first arrow pierced her thigh and she crumpled to her knees, the second struck her shoulder and sent her back against the entrance to the mine. I had to check it out.

Inside, I found quite the operation. The path was lit with torches and partway down, I barely avoided a trap. These were bandits alright and they seemed to have taken over this mine. But what were they doing here...? Attacking those who came seeking work or fortune? Were they actually creating a legitimate business? Two more bandits were arguing about their shifts and how their operation wasn't exactly discreet. One went to sleep while the other moved to an alcove that seemed to overlooked the bridge. I reached in my bag and pulled out a small vial of poison I had taken from the spiders I had killed during my escape from Helgen and began lacing a few of my arrow tips with it.

My first arrow struck the guard in the alcove just below the neck, near his heart. I had hoped to hit him in the neck and sever his windpipe, but I had missed my mark. The poison worked past, however, and he fell to floor before he even got out of his chair. His scream had woken up the other guard, but this time I did not miss. The arrow pierced the side of his neck and the only sound he made was a sputter as he fell forward, grasping onto the stairs in front of him. Nothing here told me more about these bandits and what they were doing here. There was a journal near the remains of a skeleton near a cave-in of a Nord who had been working in the mine and obviously died, but nothing substantial.

The level to lower the drawbridge was in the alcove but almost immediately, two bandits were coming across the bridge, spotting me in the torchlight. I pierced one's shoulder with a poisoned arrow and he collapsed before making it across the bridge, but the other was moving too quickly. I loaded my last poisoned arrow and jumped onto the railing, bow poised to strike at the entrance. The bandit came charging around the corner, great sword drawn, my arrow striking him chest, but it didn't slow him down. He swung his sword down and I leapt backwards into the water below, his sword crushing the railing and his body rolled over into the water after me, the poison finally taking affect.

Once across the bridge, I was able to see into a store room of sorts. I could make out a guard sitting just outside the gate, but I couldn't get an angle through the bars. I tossed a rock by the corner, the soft sound it made was enough to get the guard up to check it out, only for my arrow to pierce her lower spine. She fell to her knees and I ran up behind her, placing my hand over her mouth, my axe slicing into her throat. Tossing her dead body aside, I looted the key from around her neck and took everything of worth from the store room, which wasn't much - just a few gold septims, the weapons not being worth much to me.

I continued on into a much larger room and crept up to the nearest pillar to get a better view - three bandits in total. One was at the forge below, the other traversing the rope bridges, while the third was seated in a chair on an alcove. My first arrow silently dropped the first bandit who fell face first into the flames of the forge. The bandit on the rope bridge noticed this and leaned over, calling to his friend. My next arrow struck him around his collarbone and he rolled over the rope, falling head first onto the rocks below. By now, the orc bandit at the table was up and aware of my attack and was charging me. I fired one arrow as he rounded the corner to me and missed. I threw my bow to the floor and drew my dagger and axe. The orc swung his battle axe down and I leapt backwards to avoid it, but noticed that the orc struggled slightly to bring the large weapon back to a ready position. On his next swing, I side stepped and lunged at him. I wrapped my arm around him, driving my dagger into the back of his shoulder blade, repeatedly bringing my axe down into the joint of his neck and shoulder until the last glimmer of light faded from his eyes.

All in all, there was nothing to tell me who these bandits were or why they were here. There were a few jewels and gold in another storage room, but that was all. It seemed as if they were simply starting some sort of smithing business, based on the raw materials and texts on the subject nearby the forge. Perhaps they indeed had given up their life of murder and thievery in order to form an honest business as blacksmiths... but if so, why all the security and the traps? This mine didn't appear to be built by them... I can only assume that they took the mine be force and planned to keep it with force. Truth be told, I feel somewhat guilty... perhaps these bandits were starting a new phase of their lives, and I ended that for them. If that is the case, I can only ask forgiveness for my actions and that their spirits safely reach whatever afterlife they hope to reach. Aal hin sille mindok drem.

When I exited the mine, the sun had already risen. Not yet content to call it a day and return to Riverwood, I continued on my hunt. Admittedly, this was unsuccessful. I am ashamed to admit that I was only able to catch two more wolves, a fox, two slaughterfish and two mudcrabs. On the gathering side, however, I was much more successful. Eventually, I came across a large cave with a stone marker, it's tattered banner reading Brittleshin Pass. I consulted my map of Skyrim and recognized this as a simple pass through the mountain - not something I felt like doing. Besides which, something far more interesting had caught my eye - the remains of a tower, crumbled into the lakeside.

As I descended into the keep from the remains of one of the towers, I was greeted by a skeleton crucified in the middle of the room. The tower had crumbled at an angle, but managed to keep most of the water out. I ignored the obvious warning and continued into the keep. Eventually, I came around the corner into a decorated and lit room. Across from my, by the door, stood a skeleton. It was obviously alive by the way it moved and shifted, but this was impossible... except for Necromancy of a powerful kind. My first arrow found the undead's eye socket and immediately the light vanished from them both, it's body crumbling into a pile of bones. As expected, the shadow of a man rose from behind the pillar and I turned back around the corner, pressing my back against the wall and drawing my axe and dagger. As the necromancer approached, I swung my axe arm around, striking the man in the stomach. As he doubled over, my dagger pierced the back of his neck and I let his lifeless body fall to the ground. Further inspection of the room reinforced my suspicion of necromancy - books of daedra and other dark arts cluttered the shelves.

I silently opened the door to the next room and took a look around. A fireplace on either side lit the room which was dominated by a long dining table, at which sat two more necromancers eating what must have been their lunch of bread, fish and wine. Across from me was another door but sneaking past would have been impossible. I broke off a finger from the skeletons hand and through it against the door. The two necromancers stood up and one ran to examine the door. As he opened it, my arrow struck between his shoulder blades and his lifeless body crashed to the floor. As the other turned and drew his dagger and attempted to project a magical shield, but I had already closed the distance. A slash across his chest and another across his neck and down he went. I examined their food and ate some of it before continuing on.

The next room was only a balcony that ran along the perimeter, the lower level having been flooded. Across from me, I could see the shape of a female necromancer and she went down without a second though, but a skeleton had been lurking in the shadows. It drew a bow of it's own and fired at me, the arrow nearly missing my own head. I notched my own arrow and fired, the force knocking the skull from the torso, which collapsed into another pile of bones. The next room appeared to be some sort of lodging room guarded only by a single skeleton who never saw me coming. As I crept down the hallway, I peered around the corner and spotted two necromancer's talking. From my position, I wouldn't have an angle at either of them, so I employed an old trick. I retreated back into the lodging room and fired an arrow against the wall at the end of the hall. Within a few moments, the two necromancer's came to investigate. The first took an arrow to his neck. The other turned to project another shield but my arrow pierced her palm and she pulled her hand back in agony before the next struck her in the chest.

This next room was by far the most sinister. Human hearts and soul gem fragments, more daedric books and more corpses and bones piled on cabinets for storage... more lodging and more atrocities to man and mer alike. Based on the books they kept, this group seemed extremely interested in necromancy but, more apparent, daedra and binding them, summoning them. I assume that this cult that once occupied this keep had plans to summon daedra here, which I was able to confirm in the next room after felling two more skeletons. There was a large alter here with many human remains piled amongst it's steps and platform, fresh blood still dripping down the stone in a low, sticky manner.

Dinok wah vokulsewodrehhe.

OOC Author Notes:
This is probably the longest and most descriptive journal entry I've done, and I'm curious which you prefer. Do you prefer the more standard "recollection" entry, or the more detailed "how I done it" entry? Also, the italicized parts you're seeing is the dragon language found in Skyrim. Part of The Order's lore, a part that I'm still working on, is that they are fluent in writing and reading the dragon's language but do not have the ability to shout. There's reasons as to why they use this language and it's significance, but I'm still developing that.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
- 19th of Last Seed, 4E 201 -

I still have yet to receive word from the Grandmaster. With each passing hour, I grow more and more cautious. I can only assume that I am being sought out and hunted by my fellows. If this is the case, than truly I must leave Riverwood and set out for new lands. I must go into hiding. As one last act, however, I've decided to aid the store keeper in retrieving the stolen claw. Naturally, this claw carries some sort of importance to this particular group of bandits if that's all they've stolen... I'd be interested in learning why. He said they went to Bleak Falls Barrow, the ancient Nordic ruins that Ralof pointed out to me on our way here. The structure, even from this distance, appears to large to be run solely by a group of bandits... I can only assume that that structure serves some sort of significance to them... time is of the essence.

As I ascended the mountain to the Barrow, it began to snow. This worked wonderfully to my advantage as I came upon some sort of stone tower ahead. I could see a bandit pacing across the bridge to the entrance, another relaxing against a tree. I figured they must be part of some sort of look out group for the rest of the bandits up ahead in the Barrow. Perhaps I haven't given them enough credit? They seem far more prepared than what I had originally expected. I must assume that they have some sort of signal to alert the other bandits. That in mind, I stuck one arrow into the ground beside me and notched another, letting it loose into the pacing bandit's side, sending her rolling off the bridge. Before the next bandit had taken two steps, my second arrow pierced his heart. I proceeded into the tower to examine it and ran into another bandit who, surprisingly, had been waiting at the top. He jumped down at me from the balcony and began swinging his sword wildly. I dropped my dagger and grabbed the bandit's wrist on one his swings and pulled him into a punch that broke his nose, blood splattering the scales on my fist. As he stumbled back, I swung my axe to slice his throat, and the tower was clear. To my surprise, there was no sort of signaling device that I could see, so I moved on.

As I approached the Barrow, I could detect movement up above - they were clearly watching the massive staircase to the top, so I looked for an alternate route. I was able to scramble up the hill at it's back and skirt along the ledge to receive a better vantage point. One bandit patrolling a ledge on the opposite side of the staircase with no clear shot, another on the middle ground and a final one up on top level with me. I fired my arrow at the nearest bandit and it cause his body to twist and lean, sliding down the stairs into site of the middle bandit. The orc drew his axe and began searching for me, but found only my arrow in his chest. The last bandit had spotted me, an arrow that struck my arm and stopped only as it collided with bone. The pain was horrible and it took all my strength to take down the bandit with an arrow of my own. I forced myself up near the entrance, out of the snow, and began the process of removing the arrow and healing the wound. I do not know much about restoration magicks, but I know how to heal such simple injuries. Once I was certain my arm was better, I entered the Barrow.

The ground was littered with the bodies of skeevers and even a few bandits. Two more stood by a fire talking, but they did not last long. They must have only recently made it into the Barrow and established a foothold - a few pieces of bedding had been laid down by the fire. Apparently clearing the place out for their purposes had been a long and bloody task, although the corpses of skeevers provided me as good a trail as I could ask for. It wasn't long before I stumbled upon a lone bandit as he pulled some sort of lever to presumably open the gate in front of him. No sooner had he pulled the lever than a dozen arrows shot out from the walls and skewered the man. The room contained some sort of combination of turned stones in order to avoid such a pointy death, but the necessary combination had been carved into the wall in front of the lever, although one of the symbols had fallen. Once I arranged the stones, it was a clear shot further into the Barrow, save a few skeevers. That's when I heard shouting. Someone had heard me coming and was pleading for help from his fellow bandits.

I cut loose some webbing that blocked my way and as I approached the Dunmer bandit, imprisoned in another webbed doorway, a rather large Frostbite spider descened upon me. It was all I could to avoid the wad of poison the creature spat out at me. For what seemed like hours I dodged and slashed at the legs it swiped at me with before the creature finally came in for a bite. I leapt backwards and then forward onto the creature's head, repeatedly burying my axe into it's skull to the cheers of the trapped Dunmer. He demanded to be let down, and when asked about the claw, he said he knew everything and would show me. I obviously didn't trust him, but there was no way to get the claw down or advance without cutting him loose, so I did. He immediately started running, and I decided to let him go.

When I saw him next, he was laying dead on the floor with three skeletal figures, what Ralof must have called Draugr, standing over him. Three arrows later and I was removing the golden claw and a journal from the Dunmer's person. He was named Arvel, and his journal mentioned that the Nords had some sort of ancient power stored away here in the Barrow and that the claw was the key to completing some sort of puzzle. He said that the answer would be in the palm of your hand and, upon examining the claw, I saw three symbols carved into the claw's palm - a bear, a dragonfly and an owl. These must be part of the key. The rest of the journey through the Barrow was spent silently assassinating these Draugr's before they even had an opportunity to attack me. Some walked freely, most still rested in their crypts. An arrow into each corpse was a necessary procaution. If they didn't die outright, those still capable of life arose only to be greeted with another arrow. It wasn't long before I reached the puzzle door, three circular discs, each containing the three images seen on the golden claw. I arranged the discs (not the easiest of tasks, mind you) in the proper order and inserted the claw into the center stone, it's talons like keys, and turned. The three discs stuttered, spun, aligned, and began clunking down... down... down...

What waited beyond me still... puzzling, to say the least. The room beyond contained what we've known to be Word Walls. I've been trained to read and write the dragon language, but few can actually speak it. It's quite rare to find these walls, presumably written upon by the dragons themselves. The inscription was badly worn, except for the word 'FUS', but legible. I translated it to be a grave marker for some 'Guardian of the Dragonstone'. No sooner had I read of his 'rage and darkness' than the sound of stone sliding came from behind me. I turned to find myself watching another Draugr rise from a crypt. I wasn't prepared. I drew my axe and plunged it into the Draugr's shoulder and came face-to-face with the undead horror. It simply looked at me and then spoke in that ancient dragon tongue, shouted in fact, and sent my flying backwards against the wall. This draugr could use the thu'um. I scrambled to my feet and prepared an arrow, fired, and struck the draugr's shield. It closed the distance in a few quick steps and smashed me to the side with it's shield, my bow falling to the floor. For the first time since the dragon attack at Helgen, I feared for my life.

It swung it's sword and I barely managed to sidestep, thrusting my dagger into the creature's chest a few time before leaping back to avoid it's shield. As it closed the gap, I scrambled to collect my axe from the floor, having been removed and discarded by the draugr, leaping over and ducking behind the casket as the draugr shouted at me once more. After the wave flew overhead, I sprung from behind the casket. The draugr brought down it's sword and I sidestepped, leapt forward. I dug my axe into the draugr's left shoulder, adjusted my grip and wrapped around the creature, my legs wrapping around it's waist. I pulled back, falling to the floor with the undead overlord on top of me and began stabbing the creature's chest and face with the dagger in my left hand over and over and over. The draugr shouted and thrashed but my tail further constricted it from moving it's arms. Even after the creature stopped moving, I continued to stab at it. I needed to be sure.

When I finally released the thing, I proceeded to loot the chest by the casket and then the casket itself. Inside was a large stone tablet that appeared to have the symbol of a dragon and a map of Skyrim on it, places clearly marked on it. On the back was a scripture that indicated that these marked locations were burial mounds of some kind, most likely dragons. The stone mentioned Alduin - a name I had heard before, although briefly. He was supposed to be some sort of dragon god, the antagonist of Akatosh. Destroyer of Worlds or some sort. This tablet must have some sort of spiritual meaning than, if it mentions Alduin reviving them. No such thing could be done. This tablet, and the locations it marked however, would no doubt be valuable to us. I kept the stone and headed home for Riverwood, returning the claw to Lucian for a hefty sum. In the morning, I'll leave for Whiterun and decide my future from there.

It's funny how his name sounds just like Ezio, of the Assassin's Creed series. The idea behind the backstory matches too. Would the AC game have had any impact on this Argonian?

Katastrophe

King of Tales
It's funny how his name sounds just like Ezio, of the Assassin's Creed series. The idea behind the backstory matches too. Would the AC game have had any impact on this Argonian?
It's impacted a lot of my plays of Skyrim. The naming is entirely coincidental, though. I believe Izo means something in Japanese or something, I don't remember how I came it up with. I've been pronouncing it eye-zoh rather than eee-zoh in my head.

Assassin99

i think his origins are more like Altair ibn la-ahads

Katastrophe

King of Tales
I'm no longer continuing this journal simply because my other one is taking up all of my time.

If you're interested in reading my writing, please click the image in my signature to read "The Hunted".

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts