The only thing in my opinion that is wrong with Skyrim.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I can see where you're coming from. Graphics are lovely, but they're not the be-all end-all. Game play, controls, story. These are the real important things. These are what really contribute to the fun-factor of a game.

But I'm someone that still regularly plays Morrowind and a lot of older games. You're right, nostalgia does help. But a great game is going to be great, no matter when you play it. Pac-Man is a great game! You can pick it up and have fun right now.

However! If you're interested in Morrowind or Oblivion, but can't look past the tarnish of age, I say to you ..http://tesrenewal.com/

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
Think ill give it a shot tommorow, after iv'e posted in the Rp forum. What kind of character do you think I should go for on my first time? Thinking maybe a magic based Breton or Dunmer.

TheEvilQueen

Dunmer Fangirl
Think ill give it a shot tommorow, after iv'e posted in the Rp forum. What kind of character do you think I should go for on my first time? Thinking maybe a magic based Breton or Dunmer.

Letting you know upfront the elves look ridiculous in oblivion. My Dunmer Conjurer looked like a guy.

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
Yeah, i've seen them on the UESP. Might have played an Orc, but they look ridiculous!

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I really loved Conjuration in Oblivion; in general, I think the spell selection was far better in Oblivion, and there was so much more to enjoy in every school of magic. In Skyrim, I find that the Conjuration branch is extremely lacking, not to mention a few other branches. Magic has never really been my thing, but at least in Oblivion I wanted to experiment; in Skyrim, I don't.

Also: daedric summons are wicked. I miss the daedra!

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I JUST HAD THE BEST POTENTIAL IDEA FOR A DLC. FOR ANY ELDER SCROLLS GAME IN THE FUTURE.

After Oblivion, the Oblivion Crisis is barely EVER talked about, except in one book I think. What if, in the next Elder Scrolls game, there was a DLC to learn more about the Oblivion Crisis and the realm of Oblivion, and a journey to uncover lost tomes of Conjuration? Maybe a journey that takes you to the ruins of a Gate, and maybe even a way to go into Oblivion like in Dawnguard, when you go into the Soul Cairn? WHY HASN'T THIS HAPPENED???! This could be an AMAZING DLC!

TheEvilQueen

Dunmer Fangirl
I JUST HAD THE BEST POTENTIAL IDEA FOR A DLC. FOR ANY ELDER SCROLLS GAME IN THE FUTURE.

After Oblivion, the Oblivion Crisis is barely EVER talked about, except in one book I think. What if, in the next Elder Scrolls game, there was a DLC to learn more about the Oblivion Crisis and the realm of Oblivion, and a journey to uncover lost tomes of Conjuration? Maybe a journey that takes you to the ruins of a Gate, and maybe even a way to go into Oblivion like in Dawnguard, when you go into the Soul Cairn? WHY HASN'T THIS HAPPENED???! This could be an AMAZING DLC!

that is epic! sadly skyrim won't have anymore dlc since bethesda is putting all their eggs in horror games / ESO basket.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...

that is epic! sadly skyrim won't have anymore dlc since bethesda is putting all their eggs in horror games / ESO basket.
ESO is actually a Very good Game its even got Oblivions Music in it and goodlord so many quests...aghh

TheEvilQueen

Dunmer Fangirl

ESO is actually a Very good Game its even got Oblivions Music in it and goodlord so many quests...aghh

I have so much hate for it but it's cool that you like it! To each is own!

rakkety

It would be cool if skyrim had a coop mode. Not sure how it would work but cool nonetheless.

Sent from the Pony Express

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Because of graphics or in comparison to Dwemer ruins?

In comparison tbh nothing is more scary than fighting skeletons (in oblivion they were terrifying a lot harder to kill) and then stepping on a trap made by some high elf dick from the past and being smooshed to the ceiling and becoming dark elf hamburger.

I always found the heavy breathing of ghosts/shades in Oblivion to give me the creeps. You didn't know where they were, but you could hear them.

Horrible for my pure mage, they always liked to use Silence on me.

ronnyhenri

What? Oh. Goodby
I tried playing Oblivion on PC but got bored with the game pretty fast and gave up. Oblivion misses a lot of panache compared to Skyrim.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Ayleid ruins are far more creepy and scary imo.
-Joan
so agree. think I'll go back for another play through tonight. getting a little bored with skyrim. besides want to try the lockpick tecnique from YouTube.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows

Haven't tried it. Don't have money for the game, let alone the subscription. :sadface: Ugh.
WHERE'S OUR NEXT TES GAME? ELDER SCROLLS VI??

TheEvilQueen

Dunmer Fangirl

TheNatural

Haven't tried it. Don't have money for the game, let alone the subscription. :sadface: Ugh.

I don't think they'll ever be another one.

Really? That's pretty silly, if you ask me.

Look at the community that still surrounds this game. The modding community alone is still as strong as ever, 3 years later.

The ONLY argument someone can make when claiming there won't be another ES game, is the, "TESO will take up all of their time, and they will want people to play that and pay $15 a month."

After years and years of relatively unappreciated games, they finally hit a home run (dollar-wise, and popularity-wise) with skyrim, there is no way in hell they aren't going to make another one. Besides, Zenimax ≠ Bethesda.

LegateFasendil

Imperial Legate
Well. The first thing we need to understand here, is that Oblivion and Skyrim were made by different teams. ie, same people who worked on Oblivion, didn't necessarily dev Skyrim. So, while the lore may be the common denominator here, the game play is far from it.

For example, in Oblivion I could wield a 2H weapon AND cast spells. Could also block with a bow.

I remember that fight with Frathon Drathon. He had his 2H sword and it was interesting because I never knew when he was going to cast lightning at me, but when he did it was AWESOME!

You just don't get enemies like that in Skyrim. It's like everything is too uniform or something. Like in Oblivion, you don't just go walking into a Mage battle. Because those Mages can hit you with *anything* lightning, fire bombs, silence, burden, health drain... there were some very diverse spells for Mages of all kinds.

Furthermore, the map was larger. So like, your trip from Whiterun to Dawnstar is about the same distance from that sewer gate in Oblivion to Chorrol. Think about that. And taking the road to Solitude is fast and easy, although admittedly getting to Winterhold or Markarth is rough but even then, those cities really aren't that far away.

The map should have been larger and the geography should have been scaled better. Throat of the World seems like a tall mtn but it's really not. Not really.

Another thing, the enemies are all the same, should have been more diversity. Like Imps, anyone remember Imps? Or the Daedra or that creepy mage guy who from time to time shows up out of the thin air and tries to kill you... or the diversity in the undead, the ghosts and zombies, liches and wraiths, OMG anyone remember that ship full of wraiths near Bravil?

It's just you know... stuff like that. Another thing I HATED was the height ratio. It's all messed up. Why do Imperials and Bretons look like mid... ermm "little people"? It's all wrong. And they should have brought back of the weapon sets from Oblivion, such as that wonderful Silver set.

Ahhh. I've gone on for too long and I could keep going with this, but these are just a few of my complaints.

Btw - Shivering Isles was 1000x better than the pl*psty little island called Solstheim, which is a mere shadow of the real Solstheim from Morrowind I think? I remember reading about it and they're not the same. Not to mention how the DLCs, d/l content and Quests were immersive and interesting and beautiful compared to what we were served in Skyrim. I mean, I guess they're beautiful in the own way but not the same. Nothing in Skyrim beats Shivering Isles and The Quest for Merune's Dagger.

TheNatural

Well. The first thing we need to understand here, is that Oblivion and Skyrim were made by different teams. ie, same people who worked on Oblivion, didn't necessarily dev Skyrim. So, while the lore may be the common denominator here, the game play is far from it.

For example, in Oblivion I could wield a 2H weapon AND cast spells. Could also block with a bow.

I remember that fight with Frathon Drathon. He had his 2H sword and it was interesting because I never knew when he was going to cast lightning at me, but when he did it was AWESOME!

You just don't get enemies like that in Skyrim. It's like everything is too uniform or something. Like in Oblivion, you don't just go walking into a Mage battle. Because those Mages can hit you with *anything* lightning, fire bombs, silence, burden, health drain... there were some very diverse spells for Mages of all kinds.

Furthermore, the map was larger. So like, your trip from Whiterun to Dawnstar is about the same distance from that sewer gate in Oblivion to Chorrol. Think about that. And taking the road to Solitude is fast and easy, although admittedly getting to Winterhold or Markarth is rough but even then, those cities really aren't that far away.

The map should have been larger and the geography should have been scaled better. Throat of the World seems like a tall mtn but it's really not. Not really.

Another thing, the enemies are all the same, should have been more diversity. Like Imps, anyone remember Imps? Or the Daedra or that creepy mage guy who from time to time shows up out of the thin air and tries to kill you... or the diversity in the undead, the ghosts and zombies, liches and wraiths, OMG anyone remember that ship full of wraiths near Bravil?

It's just you know... stuff like that. Another thing I HATED was the height ratio. It's all messed up. Why do Imperials and Bretons look like mid... ermm "little people"? It's all wrong. And they should have brought back of the weapon sets from Oblivion, such as that wonderful Silver set.

Ahhh. I've gone on for too long and I could keep going with this, but these are just a few of my complaints.

Btw - Shivering Isles was 1000x better than the pl*psty little island called Solstheim, which is a mere shadow of the real Solstheim from Morrowind I think? I remember reading about it and they're not the same. Not to mention how the DLCs, d/l content and Quests were immersive and interesting and beautiful compared to what we were served in Skyrim. I mean, I guess they're beautiful in the own way but not the same. Nothing in Skyrim beats Shivering Isles and The Quest for Merune's Dagger.

It wasn't the exact same team, personnel-wise, but it was the same team.

With Skyrim, I believe it was their goal to implement big changes (dragons, incredible graphics for a "sandbox" game, more precise combat, better physics, etc) that they could then mesh with the good things from Oblivion.

Posts like yours are sort of frustrating for me at times (why I've lurked and not posted), only because I think it is lost on some people that Oblivion and Skyrim were both released on the same generation of consoles. Skyrim may not have had the depth as far as Magic and creatures are concerned, but the incredible work they did with the engine, the dwemer ruins, dragons, shouts, crafting, etc, are all very promising glimpses into what they can accomplish. If you showed me Skyrim when Oblivion came out, I wouldn't have believed they could get all of that out of the same console generation.

The next game will look like the fully modded game we see with ENBs, retextures and the like, add in the depth of oblivion and the scale of morrowind and it will be something to behold. All of that will be possible because of the work put in with Skyrim. GTA:4 wasn't as large or in-depth as GTA:SA, but they ended up with and incredible game with 5. Now imagine the leap from GTA:4 to 5 plus a new generation of consoles to build with, that is why there is a lot to look forward to with the Elder Scrolls franchise.

TheEvilQueen

Dunmer Fangirl

I don't think they'll ever be another one.

Really? That's pretty silly, if you ask me.

Look at the community that still surrounds this game. The modding community alone is still as strong as ever, 3 years later.

The ONLY argument someone can make when claiming there won't be another ES game, is the, "TESO will take up all of their time, and they will want people to play that and pay $15 a month."

After years and years of relatively unappreciated games, they finally hit a home run (dollar-wise, and popularity-wise) with skyrim, there is no way in hell they aren't going to make another one. Besides, Zenimax ≠ Bethesda.

I see your point and it has swayed my opinion. Thanks for voicing your opinion politely and maturely :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts