The least useful skill in Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which skill is over all the least useful skill in Skyrim?

• Light Armor

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sneak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lockpicking

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Pickpocket

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Speech

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Alchemy

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Illusion

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Conjuration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Destruction

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Restoration

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Now I understand every skill has a use, but don't you agree that some skills are over all less useful then others do to the very nature of the skill? Now I do not thing any skill is useless, but I do find some less useful then others, and not just because of play style but do to over all usefulness to almost any build or character in general.

Note: Please ignore the poll I accidentally hit enter while trying to remove it do to lack of option space for options

EDIT: I meant this to be a question which ignores the usefulness of perks or special items/enchantments. How useful is the skill itself without considering any specific perks/items.

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
Pickpocket. You can make enough money by looting dungeons and killing dragons. You don't need to make money using a skill that's completely useless in combat. If you level it up too much, the monsters will level with you while your not even getting better at fighting.

blue 468

i'd say lock picking because its really easy to begin with and if you get the skeleton key you can pick anything

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Pickpocket. You can make enough money by looting dungeons and killing dragons. You don't need to make money using a skill that's completely useless in combat. If you level it up too much, the monsters will level with you while your not even getting better at fighting.
Pickpocket isn't simply a means to make money. The perks are useful for providing options in getting things done whether it's to add carry weight if you have a low stamina build or to poison an NPC to assassinate a mark without being detected. While Pickpocket is a limited value skill Lockpicking has even less value because you can open any pickable lock at any skill level as long as you have enough lockpicks, and lockpicks are abundant both as loot and cheap vendor inventory

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
I'm not saying pickpocket is useless, just the worst skill to invest in based on my play style. I sell most of my stuff, and give anything valuable that I can't carry to my follower, so I don't need the extra pockets perk, and if I sneak up to someone, I prefer not to waste poisons and just slit their throat.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I have to say lockpicking. Arguments can be made for anything based on playstyle. Lockpicking however, does not require any perks to be good at, or excel at. The perks are mostly useless and the master perk IS useless due to ANOTHER perk, oh and let me add that there is an in-game item that makes skill irrelevant.

ShadowGambit

Lockpicking.

Lockpicks are not hard to get and with the skeleton key, it is even easier.

With time on your hands and enough lockpicks, you can open ANYTHING, no matter what level you have in Lockpicking skills.

StealthSniper

I agree about lock picking. Tho the art of picking the licks takes time, I have yet to find any reason to invest in it. I find the enchantment for fortify lock picking useless as well. Play enough as most have and not using the skeleton key, I bet most ppl can pick a master lock in 5 picks or less more often than not.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
I say both lock picking and pick pocketing. The skeleton key makes the lock picking tree useless unless you count the extra gold and high special treasure finds useful

And at level 100 pick pocket you have a 90% chance to pickpocket most items anyways so there is no point in investing your points when you will have the same chance to get the item at 100 anyways.

Lockpicking doesn't need any perks, but pickpocketing you don't have to use, while you have to use lock picking in some quests.

I wouldn't invest in either, but I will say that lock picking has a greater use, so I have to say pickpocket has the least use for leveling or investing perks

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
Why is everyone saying lockpicking?
Sure, it's perks are useless, but you still USE the skill right?
It's so satisfying lockpicking a chest open and getting valuable loot.

StealthSniper

Yea but what we are saying us you don't need any perks to do it. Putting perks in lock picking is just wasteful.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
Why isn't block on the list? It by far is the most useless. I don't even use it on my character and I do just fine with out a big ass shield blocking an attack.

Why isn't block on the list? It by far is the most useless. I don't even use it on my character and I do just fine with out a big ass shield blocking an attack.

IDk I can see blocking being useful if your going for that style you know? Some of the perks are nice, I would have to say lockpicking too, I only have so many skill points I dont want to wast them on something that I really dont need.

Invader Vin

From an objective standpoint, definitely lockpicking as others have mentiond because very few of the perks are worth investing in when compared to other perks.

That being said however, I still throw perk points into it simply because I lack the patience (and skill) for it though I'll avoid putting points in the tree if I'm planning on doing thieves guild quests. Then I'll just hold onto the skeleton key and never give it up till I'm done with everything else. Otherwise I don't mind "wasting" perk points on it, because I play with a mod that allows me to set extra perk points for certain levels anyway.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
yes but there is an item you get in the thieves guild called the skeleton key with is a key that unlocks any doors, well technically it's a lock pick that NEVER breaks. So there is no point in improving your lock picking skill because that item makes almost every perk in the lock picking skill tree wasted.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Illusion, how would your enemy die if you make them angry or make them scared?

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Lockpicking is a USEFUL skill but it's perks are USELESS once you get the Skeleton Key.