• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
I just recently started making all those little daggers to level up in Smithing. Now I agree with those who say leveling up in Smithing is counter to what makes the game more challenging, as in they don't want to be super strong. At the same time however, I'm not necessarily leveling up to get the Daidric armor, since I'm using light armor at the moment, but rather to improve my weapons and armor because it simply makes sense. What is the point of going through the game while keeping your armor/weapons at the basic/beginner level?

Notmy420

I really don't see anything wrong with doing this. Especially if you collected all the mats to craft on your own. I think just simply buying a bunch of mats to power level smithing is pretty lame though.

Jaeger

What I have done, instead of buying iron ingots, is mine my own, smelt it, tempered my loot (thereby raising your skill), sell it.

I like the iron armor, the scale and studed armors, the furs and hides. Daedric and ebony armor and weapons looks evil and my good characters will not be using them. If I play an Orc, s(he) will use orcish armor. If I play an altmer, elvish armor if a fighter/thief. Maybe even glass for the altmer too since it looks...how would the southpark boys put it... I have to temper my low substance weapon and armors to stay competitive.

Champion8877

i go out hunting, kill wolves, elk, deer, mountain goats, sabre cats, bears, etc. and make their hides into leather and leather strips, then make leather bracers with the leather to level smithing. i also go mine my own iron to make ingots and then daggers.

this way i feel is legit since i am gathering the resources myself and not just buying them.

Hulksmash

getting a bunch of materials early on in lvls messes u up cause u skills u dont have enough xp in to upgrade. Just wait few lvls 10 or so and make some good stuff. 1st char i started i didnt even use smithing or enchanting just what i found or could buy. 2nd char my favorite orc :) i had to lvl 20 before i went to see the greybeards from smithing

the iron daggers method is still harder than my method.

crouch in a shadowy corner of a tavern and walk back into the wall for an hour to level up sneak

Eos Jake

.::Dark Brotherhood Forever::.
The iron daggers method is the one that my boyfriend is trying to help me level up my character and my smithing with. I find it quite easy, although i do mine my own materials for it. I find that much more interesting than buying all of the iron ingots.

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
Yeah, mining your own iron is cheaper and less like cheating. I've bought the ingots so far though just because it was more efficient than trying to find a vein to mine as I wanted to move on to other stuff and not spend an hour or so upgrading.

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
Honestly, the thing about this game is that its all about doing what you enjoy. If you want to run around one hitting everything, then do it. If not, then don't. Do what makes you enjoy and get the most out of the game you paid for. I personally get all the smithing/enchanting perks out of the way (doesn't mean I turn into god) and once I get bored of the game being too easy, then I make the game more difficult by either using non-enchanted weapons or increasing the difficulty.

JediMedik

Personally, I don't see much wrong with grinding in such games. Afterall, be it Western or Jap, RPG's have always had times when players can benefit from simply putting in a bit of time to level up.. Its all in how u wanna play the game

Eva

Personally, I don't see much wrong with grinding in such games. Afterall, be it Western or Jap, RPG's have always had times when players can benefit from simply putting in a bit of time to level up.. Its all in how u wanna play the game
This is how I feel about it too... if somebody really wants to sit there and exploit smithing/enchanting/alchemy and put the time and effort into beasting out their character's stuff, then it's up to them. Sure it might "break" the game, but the awesome thing about Skyrim is that you can literally play any way you want.

Personally I've been leveling my smithing rather slowly, or "naturally" as I see it- I go out on some dungeon run and if I happen across some ore or animals for leather, then I gather it and when I have time I use what I got to make stuff to sell. Alchemy and enchanting have gone along pretty much the same, but I really don't care enough about it to sit there and make a potion just to make an enchant stronger just to make my smithing better in order to make some armor that can make potions better just for a better enchant... etc, etc. It's too much work, lol.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts