• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
(Author's Note - This is very much a work in progress and the first creative writing I've tried in a long time. I apologize for any errors and the current lack of length. I am posting what little I have to see if it would interest anyone and if so, to help motivate me. Critique, good or bad, is welcomed. Should I find the willpower to write on, I will update this first post as the story continues. Thank you.)

Prologue

My hands are stained with the blood of my brothers. A furious storm of rage erupted inside me. An uncontrollable hatred consumed my very being, eating away at me, that my blade cut into flesh and bone and life. Only moments passed between serenity and chaos, but that was more than enough time to steal away the lives of those I loved. My people have been shamed and my family dishonored. May the Gods curse my existence and allow me no peace in death. Henceforth, I am no longer known as K’avar the Redguard. I am now K’avar the Kin-slayer.”

K’avar closed his eyes, allowing his mind to clear and his hands to steady, taking deep breaths in between. Having had taken refuge as a passenger of the Skinny Horker, he found the constant rocking of the ship soothing. A superficial bandage on an ailing wound. One time could not heal.

It had been days since he fled from his homeland. Days since he turned his back on the punishment he deserved. He was born of the sand... of the desert. Hammerfell. Home. A land he did not expect to ever see again. Alive anyway. Death would embrace him but not today. Not until his questions had answers. And revenge. Should that day arrive he would gladly take his own life. K’avar patted the small pouch of coin on his belt. He would make sure his head is delivered to his father.

“Oi, you there! Up and about now will you. Supper is being served and you best not lout about, else you’ll be having none of it!” There it is again. That high-pitched voice. K’avar had no need to open his eyes to see who spoke. He knew. Bovkin. A Breton past childhood yet still a few years from manhood. A scrawny, dirty, and unrealistic youth filled with disillusioned dreams of grandeur and ragged clothing to match. ‘Such bliss to be young and ignorant...’, K’avar thought to himself as memories of better days washed over him. Nostalgia momentarily rinsing some of his pain away. It would not last.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Bovkin was standing next to him now, impatiently tapping his foot. K’avar opened his good eye, slowly glancing at the boy and his comical attempt at a scowl. The Redguard sighed, motioning the boy away with a flick on his hand. He was in no mood for feigned bravado. Or company. The whelp would need to learn when someone sought his company and when it was unwanted. Unfortunately for K’avar, Bovkin lacked common sense as well.

“Oi! Did you hear what I said?” The boy spoke louder now, stomping his feet as hard as he could in the process. “Don’t tell me you be deaf? Just my luck is it!”He forced a sigh, shaking his head slightly. “I SAID... DID... YOU... HEAR... WHAT... I... SAI-URGH!” Bovkins mouth snapped shut, the sound loud enough to echo throughout the lower deck, as K’avar snatched the boy up by a handful of shirt and held him firmly in the air. The speed in which he was yanked from the ground as well as the intense look of the Redguards eye, silenced any objections he might have spoken otherwise.

“Good.” K’avar spoke slowly. “You realize your mistake. Only the Gods pass judgment and suffer no man a fool. Learn from this. Understood?”

The boy swallowed. Hard. His face the image of fear. His legs frantically searching for the ground, a desperate struggle to get free. To no avail. Still, he managed enough courage to nod his head. K’avar granted his wish, easing him back to the floor and releasing the iron grip he commanded.

“Go child. I will not be joining the others.” Bovkin made his escape, fleeing back up deck as K’avar returned to his seat. He closed his eyes once more, pondering if he himself believed the words that he spoke. Gods. Judgment. Revenge. Destiny. Salvation. Redemption. What did Fate have in store for him? His journey was just beginning.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think it's a great beginning. Your prose is very passive at the moment and I'm not sure if it's intentional. Since this is more introductory to a larger story, passivity is appropriate but I figured I'd point it out since you're looking for comments.

In the last paragraph, the rhythm of it seems... hesitant. This may be a reflection of the character development but it is another observation.

I like the precision of many of your word choices.

iPedobear

Sexy Bear
I really liked the beginning, as well as the middle and the end. Look forward to seeing much more of this.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Thank you all for your words. It is appreciated. Just having one person ask me to continue really helps to motivate me. I hope I can live up to any expectations.

Kir the Silent

Until Your Flesh Is Consumed
As a fellow author let me first say, amazing. I love reading good work as much as writing it. Your style is intuitive and engaging, I felt as if I was there. Yes, please do continue. I look forward to reading more of your works.

Kir the Silent

Also as a fellow author, would it be too much to ask if you would read and critique my works as well?

Kir the Silent

It is in the fan fiction section entitled "Dark Stranger: Prolouge"

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
The first post has been updated with more story added. Some minor changes have been made throughout also. Critique is encouraged and welcomed. I am not glass, criticism will not break me. As always, this is a work in progress.

The Hungry Orc

Master of the Pyre
Good work, Uther. I'll be looking forward to reading the next few chapters.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
(Author's Note - The prologue has been finished and can be read in the first post of this topic. If you find any errors or have thoughts, feel free to post about it. The following is an excerpt from chapter one, currently underway. It is being posted, as always, to see if anyone is interested as well as to get feedback.)

K'avar collapsed upon the ground as he gasped for air, exhaustion bearing down on him as if the world itself sought to crush him underfoot. His clothes were soaked. His skin cold and numb. The chill of the wind cut into his flesh like tiny blades of agony. Death itself called out to him. Beckoning him. Wanting him. Demanding him. He would resist. He would endure.

Next to a rock by the coast did K'avar crawl and rest against. Drawing the last of his willpower, he outstretched his arm, placing his hand atop a rotted tree stump. He took a deep breath, holding it a few moments before slowly exhaling, muttering a few words as he did.

His hand started to crackle. Steam rose from the pores as it emitted heat. The skin blackened, smoke drifted from the fingertips. Yet nothing. K'avar focused harder now, putting all of his concentration to the task before him. Ordinarily an easy task, but he was so tired. Still, nothing. Give up. A voice inside him spoke. You need to die. You deserve death. The voice. His father's? Can't be. Couldn't be. No.

NO!” K'avar shouted at the top of his lungs, consuming ever last ounce of his energy. He would not perish this day. Not on these shores. Not yet! All of a sudden flames erupted from his hand. The fire seemed to dance around, merrily ignorant of anything else but the stump, catching it ablaze in glorious triumph. Maybe you will succeed after all. We will see. The voice spoke again, almost a whisper. Distant. Forgotten. Death would not come this day, but sleep, and dreams.

It is dark. The only sound is that of my heart breaking. Misery, my only companion. How long has it been since I was dragged away. Beaten. Starved. Placed in this cell and forgotten. How much longer until I waste away to nothing. The blood of my brothers are still on my hands. Sticky. Unwashed. And my mother, dear mother, took her own life. Her heartbreak was too much. My father told me this, not long ago, before he spit in my face and turned his back on me for good. Their faces haunt my dreams even now.

My body has committed itself to death but I still cling on. Why? I hold myself responsible for the lives I took, though my blade cut against my will, I can not undo what has been done. Not a second goes by that I don't relive that day. Over and over and over again. It was a happy day, in the beginning at least. Full of merriment, of laughter, and of love. It was an occasion to be happy. Cyrus, my younger brother, was to be wedded later that day. His bride was a soft spoken Imperial girl so full of kindness. So full of life. Now she only has sadness and hate.

Why? Why? WHY!” She screamed at me as she kneeled in the blood of her lover, his head caressed in her lap. My mother was being held by my father as he stared at me with cold, sorrowed eyes. The very sight of it all sickened me but I was powerless to speak or move. I just stood there, bloodied sword in hand, and wept at the destruction I had caused. It would not be the last time I wept for them. For myself.

“Help! Someone help me! Please!” K'avar snapped awake, eye opened and hand instinctively grabbing the hilt of his sword. He scanned the area for anyone who could have spoken. No one was there. Nothing moved. He sighed, shaking off the weariness of sleep, placing a finger in the pile of ashes that were once a stump. A few embers still burned.

“HELP!” That voice again. It almost sounded like... Bovkin. It couldn't be. Everyone aboard the Skinny Horker was dead. 'Another ghost to haunt my dreams.' He grimly thought aloud.

(Currently finishing up the chapter.)

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I really like this. Only point to be worth noting is that the race is called Breton, not Brenton, but that's a minor little thing.

Please keep it up.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I really like this. Only point to be worth noting is that the race is called Breton, not Brenton, but that's a minor little thing.

Please keep it up.

Haha! Thanks. I edited that part over and over and still didn't catch that typo! Glad people are liking it. Inspires me to keep going!

Diego The Assassin

Thalmor Slaughterer.
This is amazing! I... wow I'm at a loss of words, keep the story going!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I love the bullet-quick style of your writing. The short, clipped sentences create this great feeling of urgency and scattered thoughts, providing just enough information to keep things going while also making me want to know more.

This is a great start and I will definitely be following!

As for critique, what I have is mainly aesthetic. First, I'd change the font to sans-serif, as it's much easier on the eyes when reading a large amount of text. Secondly, is there a reason you're italicizing all of the dialogue? It seems odd and unnatural, and it's somewhat distracting. I would keep italics for emphasis within dialogue or narration, and for unspoken thoughts.

Also, as Rayven mentioned, you seem to use a passive voice here and there. For example:

My mother was being held by my father as he stared at me with cold, sorrowed eyes.
That sentence would be stronger if it were rearranged to My father held my mother as he stared at me with cold, sorrowed eyes. Unless you're using a passive voice for a specific purpose, it's always best to avoid it.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Yeah, I forgot to take off italics on the dialogue. I do that when writing so I can quick glance and check it easier while editing. Strange maybe. And I'm a fan of passive writing. I don't know why. I actually planned to edit the part you mentioned. Once I finish the chapter. At some point. I always edit what I write numerous times until it sounds/flows better. But I do thank you for all the critique.

Also I will probably change the font. It is the font I use (that and Courier New) when writing in notepad, etc.

One reason I use such passive voice in some dialogue/flashbacks is because the character isn't perfect. He tears up when remembering and I try to show it through words without going into details. I may have to alter it a bit though!

I'm super glad you read my current work and like it though. And your critique is appreciated!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts