• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member
    For the RP as a whole. i could see this being the intro song or a trailer song.

Melee

I'm back, bitches
    I really wish I could listen to these things, but I'll have to do so at home I guess. :p

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Thanks Gidian! I appreciate the help. I added shoulder plates to Kiyoshi's armor to help with survivability.

Honestly, I thought for a long time that Kiyoshi would not be able to stay alive in a battle without heavy armor, but I think it evens out pretty well.

Let me explain:
    - A lighter armor set would allow greater mobility, speed, and agility in battle and it wouldn't be as taxing on the wearer, so theoretically, a lighter armor would offer greater endurance and the wearer could tire a heavier opponent out with the correct tactics.
    - Since the lighter armor allows for greater range of motion - at least in Kiyoshi's case - and greater agility, the wearer would have a greater number of dodges available to them, and would be able to dodge and get in position to counter-strike faster. Plus, a lightly armored unit could use rolls and certain acrobatics to help them dodge and get into position.
    - Even though Kiyoshi's armor is considered light, and doesn't cover anywhere near all of his body - I'm just talking about the Moonstone stuff, because the black tunic isn't going to do much for him protection-wise - it is made of Moonstone, which is fairly durable. Technically, it is the only "metal" available to lightly armored units.

Now obviously there are drawbacks:
    - Heavy armor can take much more punishment, and keeps the wearer alive even if they miss a block or screw up the timing on a dodge.
    - A heavily armored opponent will win over a lighter unit when grappling simply because there is so much more of them to contend with.
    - Tackles and shoulder-charges from a lightly armored opponent will bounce off a heavier unit that has a decent stance, even without a shield. A heavier opponent could very easily displace a lighter unit simply because of weight and momentum. Think of it as a compact car running into a large truck and vice versa.
    - Light armor - especially Kiyoshi's - has a lot of open areas where a well-aimed strike could do serious damage.
    - Distance. A lighter unit is safest out of reach or inside an opponent's attacks. When I say inside, I mean too close to be attacked by anything other than a fist, foot, body-check, or dagger. A light unit has to be careful when they move so they don't give their enemy an opening to work with. As opposed to a heavy armored individual being very aggressive and not worrying too much about taking some damage.

Don't get me wrong, both armor types have definite pros and cons, but I think they even out well enough. If I have a point backwards, or incorrect - which happens often - let me know.

Staff member
    The advantage to mobility, speed, and agility depend upon the training of the individual. Sure they'd always be faster without the armor on. But people who wear heavy armor typically train and condition themselves in it. Endurance is only an advantage if you survive long enough to actually tire out your opponent, who doesn't have to dodge and move near as much as you do, meaning you're more likely to tire yourself out than a fully trained and battle-ready knight. However, you do have an important advantage in terms of cross country travel and general upkeep capabilities.

It does allow a greater range of motion. However that advantage is negligible depending on the suit in question. And besides which, rolling and general acrobatics are a good way to get killed in the heat of a battle, and can be very impractical. This isn't Dark Souls.

The rest is spot on. If you're donning heavy armor, it's because you're going to be in a pitched battle on the front lines. If you're donning lighter armor, you're either travelling or you aren't the front line. Keep in mind that, at a certain thickness, it is physically impossible to penetrate heavy armor with period accurate weapons.

The main advantage of light armor is that you're much more versatile and flexible- not just literally- but tactically. You can disengage and re-engage at will, rove around the battlefield to exploit flanks and other weaknesses, shore up the defenses if you see a weak spot, or take advantage of a routed foe, that sort of thing.

Keidivh

Noble exile of High Rock
    Interestingly, tempered full plate armor actually allowed for high agility. Those clad in them could actually run, jump, and do other agile movements due to the weight of the armor being evenly spread, which generally I believe was 30-55 pounds.

So even in heavy armor without training, you supposedly could still move fairly well

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I knew something was backwards! Anyway, thanks for the input.

I'm just trying to figure out Kiyoshi's survivability in the arena. I want to say that he would be fine, but like you said earlier Gidian, he can't ALWAYS rely on agility. But he isn't married to one set of armor, again, like you said earlier, characters can switch their armor depending upon their perception of the upcoming battle.

Staff member
    I knew something was backwards! Anyway, thanks for the input.

I'm just trying to figure out Kiyoshi's survivability in the arena. I want to say that he would be fine, but like you said earlier Gidian, he can't ALWAYS rely on agility. But he isn't married to one set of armor, again, like you said earlier, characters can switch their armor depending upon their perception of the upcoming battle.
    The armor type shouldn't be much of a factor except against particularly skilled and/or powerful opponents :p

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I know the RP hasn't gone further than a day or so, but are there any options for bathing inside of the arena?

If people have been inside the arena for a long time, wouldn't they suffer from skin issues due to the lack of hygiene?

Staff member
    I know the RP hasn't gone further than a day or so, but are there any options for bathing inside of the arena?

If people have been inside the arena for a long time, wouldn't they suffer from skin issues due to the lack of hygiene?
    You only get baths if you're winning. No one cares for the underdogs and the common prisoners. There are simply far too many to take care of, so if they die they die. If they get a skin disease, so what? They're fodder that's most likely going to die within a few days, and have their worthless body thrown into a primitive incinerator.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast

You only get baths if you're winning. No one cares for the underdogs and the common prisoners. There are simply far too many to take care of, so if they die they die. If they get a skin disease, so what? They're fodder that's most likely going to die within a few days, and have their worthless body thrown into a primitive incinerator.

Well, that's one way to answer it. I suppose you won't live long enough to care, if you lose right? A loss is death.

So, a win means food, a bath, medical attention, and a bed. But the quality of your care goes up as you or your team racks up the wins?

Staff member
    Exactly. And fame. You don't have to win as much if the crowd loves you and you bring in money.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I see, that makes sense.

Wait, who takes care of throwing the bodies into the incinerator and hauling them from the arena?

Staff member
    Usually prisoners or other people trapped in the arena who are very interested in staying alive but not confident they can survive the fighting.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    Usually prisoners or other people trapped in the arena who are very interested in staying alive but not confident they can survive the fighting.

Interesting. One more question, say a character is stabbed in the leg and survives their fight, but is unable to fight in the next day's events. Assuming they survive the medical wards and their injuries, are there any repercussions for missing a fight, and will the team always get a temporary member for that day?

Staff member

Interesting. One more question, say a character is stabbed in the leg and survives their fight, but is unable to fight in the next day's events. Assuming they survive the medical wards and their injuries, are there any repercussions for missing a fight, and will the team always get a temporary member for that day?
    They will not always recieve a temporary member. It is completely up to the group themselves whether they can find someone to go in with them or not.

There are no repercussions to missing a fight due to injuries. When you are low ranked you are easily replaceable and when you are high ranked you are considered valueable. There is no shortage of other fights they can schedule instead.

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
    I see, thank you Gidian. I'm just trying to get a better hold on the environment, plus this kind of questioning helps me with ideas and such.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts