• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

fellowknight

The Devil In The Details
    :D:beermug:Happy New Years! :beermug::vomit:

I'm so very sorry I've been away for so long, i suppose life got the upper hand for a while, but Christmas and New Years especially ate at my time. But i've got tomorrow off from work so i'll do my damnedest to configure what i need to post and have it up before saturday.

If not, just know that i'm here and definitely with you guys on the fight scene and support the idea of keeping this isolated until we can collaborate among each other and bench our characters indoors.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Never have I been so glad to be wrong! :D Glad to hear it.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member
    Trying to brainstorm up a post, but I can't initiate combat solo or it would be awkward xD We should set this up as more of a group effort with us going over actions and such OOC so that we move together rather than one at time

Staff member
    Okay, so far, from what I assume, most of our characters were used to fighting as individuals or having someone else fight for them up to now. So, the order to "spread out". Gidian doesn't think it's a good idea, and Skadi especially would get cut down immediately or sniped by any of these opponents in an instant. I'm not sure how well Maere would be able to do, better than Skadi surely, but not well enough to handle herself reliably in a duel. Belzebub can acquit himself fine, but even he isn't immune to being flanked, nor are Gidian and Dolun. I assume Baroth isn't either.

So Belzebub is going to move to spread out to one side, and I assume Baroth would as well with the others wondering if they should follow suit. Skadi is still shell shocked by the image of her being skewered by a giant spear, and is confused by someone yelling to stay together and someone else yelling to spread out, but decides just to stick by Gidian and see what happens.

Dolun and Gidian both think spreading out is a terrible idea, but if someone's gonna do it wrong, may as well do it wrong together to maximize the chance of survival. So Dolun and Gidian shielding Maere and Skadi in the center, with Baroth and Belzebub as flankers.

By this point, though, the noise and confusion of the situation causes the Marauders to smell weakness, and they charge in, not leaving room for any argument or discussion. The Boar charges straight up the center, the Spider following in his wake. The Wolf goes after Baroth. The ferret twins, Raven, and Bat all go after Belzebub.

Any input?

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    No, Maere is definitely not experienced enough to stand on her own against trained fighters solo, so your decision to have her guarded is a good one. I agree with her placement. Especially since she's worried about having made her and Skadi targets for the boar, which she did it seems. Whoops XD.

As for the others...

Just to be clear, are you saying that Belzebub is going to be taking on 4 fighters? I'm no expert in combat, but from what I'm gathering from him, as a berserker style character, wouldn't that be dangerous to allow, since he is probably the most prone to being flanked, as you said before, on four sides? I'm wondering how that can be done realistically without killing off Belzebub after too long. Then again, you've been damn solid with scenes like these before, so I trust your judgement in the end. But I was curious as to how you see it panning out in that scenario.

From my perspective, I could see one of the others seeing this danger and running to aid him, which would in turn leave a spot open for another marauder, who would easily see the gap and take advantage. Maybe that was their plan all along, to distract one to throw us off balance. Which would be an easy mistake to make, for a novice team like us.

That, or maybe split the one's going for Belzebub so that baroth is getting the same amount of pressure, so it's a bit more balanced. Maybe to have them attempt to crush us from the outside on both ends, and have the Boar and Spider meet them in the center to finish the rest once those on the outside are taken care of, only to find that it won't be that easy, as those two are still rather formidable.

Run on sentences fo' Dayz.

Staff member
    Excellent observations. The idea is that Belzebub can't stand up to that many at all, a consequence of spreading out (if that is the plan we go with). Maere and Skadi will be forced to give him what support they can (healing magic with possibly using Skadi as a source of energy to bolster Maere's? I'm going to have Belzebub in armor for this scene also, so he's going to be able to take some punishment), but he also has an advantage in that those aren't mainstay fighters the same way the others are. Dolun can also shift over to aid him, but the Boar and the Spider at once would shred Gidian.

Baroth dispatching the wolf and freeing up his side would be the most ideal scenario, but I don't see that happening quick enough to matter in a 1v1.

I would prefer all of us to be here simultaneously, because although I could script and write everything, that would be far less interesting and fun then getting us all involved.

ALSO if ANY of you want to take the initiative to change the makeup of one or some or all of the Marauder's, I am willing to allow that. Give them some sort of personality, more specific strengths and weaknesses, different abilities and armaments, besides those I would script them with if I was the only one involved.

I am willing to open up complete creative license, in short.

Staff member
    As far as evening out the pressure on both flanks, I don't see why, from a strategic standpoint, they would opt for that strategy over destroying one side almost immediately and then have that side freed up. Aside from arrogance or incompetence, I guess, which we could also arrange if we come to the conclusion that there is no logical or plausible way to win without changing the circumstances.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Replying to these posts backwards. Why? Who knows. I never do things logically. Ha.

That was exactly what I had in mind, by you saying it would be mere arrogance and pride that would allow them to blunder like that, rather than it be tactically sound. I can see them doing this, being such...esteemed competitors, and seeing how inexperienced we are. But also I find a bit less realistic than the prior idea for Belzebub, in hindsight. They obviously survived long enough to become this well known, and skilled in this setting.

For us, this is our first big fight, and it would be good for development and growth for them to see (well, those who aren't experienced with how things work in that arena) that this is different than any encounter than they may have experienced, and it'll take a lot of effort for them to become a stable group if they have any hope of surviving/escaping/advancing. It would do better for them to steer the tide of battle to their favor on their own, possibly by a stroke of luck or a tactical team up on one of the bigger competitors to even the odds, than it would be to have the other side make a mistake from the get-go. I wouldn't put incompetence as a worthy enough victory, honestly. XD

As for Maere being the one to even it out, or even Skadi, I think I would be able to manage something up on that front, should the others decide to go that route. But I like this idea we've got going here. It's got my vote, should it come to a decision.

Finally, I'll refrain from outright changing any of the characters, but I think I'll definitely give the Boar a bit to work with if I can come up with anything.

Staff member
    So far the Spider has received the most of my attention. Don't know why, that one's just become my favorite xD

Staff member
    And I edited in that maybe Maere could use her healing to sustain Belzebub. He is going to be wearing heavy armor, so major wounds which might require healing should be sparse enough. Skadi would also be there to act as a source of magicka if we chose to take that creative license.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Yup. Definitely some interesting first enemies for sure XD

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Excellent idea. Consider that edit Cap Approved...Obviously.

I'm fun at parties I swear.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    I've got nearly 9000 words on standby (and that's after losing most of it and having to do rewrites) and I'm going to post as many consecutive messages as it takes to keep you guys plotting.

Staff member
    Don't want to go much further without giving Baroth some time, sorry :/