• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Annabd

Anna
The best horse in the game, by far, is Shadowmere. Other than him, all the horses are the same. You can obtain Shadowmere through the Dark Brotherhood quests. I would really reccommend doing that questiline if just for the horse. He's immortal so you can't kill him, and you can level your attack skills quickly just by attacking him - and without penalty too. I wouldn't spend any money on buying a horse (if you don't feel like doing the quests) because it's pretty easy to steal one. Just go into the horse's stall and when he goes into it, sneak and you should be able to nab him.

Annabd

Anna
Shadowmere is not invincible.
Aw really? I get Skyrim and Oblivion confused sometimes. That sucks, but he's got a ton of HP so unless you pit him against a giant riding a dragon or something, he should be fine.

Dzylon

He is far more durable, but will die if he falls from a height that would barely hurt you.

Annabd

Anna
Dang! No more gleeful cliff-jumping!

GimnliTheNord

Shadowmere is Actually The Best Horse in The Game So just get him, I lost him doing the frost quest. But just recently he just rammed someone i was fighting and i was like, Wow Bethesda your the best

Jacobhwrd

I lost mine about 2 months ago when I ran of a cliff and he died. That was about 75-80 played hours ago. I am now at 140 hours played and he has never come back so be careful.

Neriad13

Premium Member
The Riften horse is my least favorite. He lookes like coffee with too much cream.

Aw, I love the Riften horse. He (or rather, she, as the stablemaster says) has got such a doofy looking face. I always named mine Pelagius because he looks a little insane.

However, there was this one playthrough in which I kept the same horse for the entire game - Allie, from the Whiterun stables. I bought her around level 3 or 4 and kept her through the end of that game, in which I never fast-traveled or took a carriage, into my early 20s. She survived the entire Main Quest, College Questline and dozens of dive-bombing dragons. I was really careful with her though. If she was with me and we were attacked, I'd just keep riding until we left the attacker behind, with rare exceptions. If I knew that I was heading into a dangerous area, I'd leave her at a "safe" location such as a stable, an inn or the farm of someone I know. I was also very aware of the height of hills and the like and was careful to not send her flying down steep roads. I became strangely attached to her who'd hauled me back and forth across the province and was always happy to hear her impatiently snorting whenever I returned to her after an adventure. It seems strange to bond so strongly to a common horse, but she really was the best horse I ever had.

¬Rockstar

has anyone tested out arvak yet? undead horses look insane:Dragonborn:

Purr

:3
Shadowmere respawns? Really? My Shadowmere just died and that was saddest day of my Skyrim life ;_; I thought that I can't never get it back. Oh well, no matter. I just want it back. ;___;

I don't know about other horses, they die so easily. :|

StellaLuna

^ Oh shucks D: That's really sad, I've grown attached to Shadowmere since day 1... And especially after the DB questline. He's one of the few family members I have left :< If I accidentally kill him, I will reload. Idc if I haven't saved in 20 mins! XD

I think he respawns in the pool? I heard he might respawn in the place where he died but the pool sounds more logical. Annnnd if you're on pc, resurrect works :-j

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Personally, I can't stand horses. They always get n the way when I'm about to battle. Then they get killed and I'm out 1000 gold. That said, Shadowmere is my favorite and only because my vampire looks badass riding him all decked out in full Daedric Armor.

If there was an option to tie your horse down or just tell it to "STAY HERE" when you unmount to battle, then I'd reconsider using them full time.

Personally, I can't stand horses. They always get n the way when I'm about to battle. Then they get killed and I'm out 1000 gold. That said, Shadowmere is my favorite and only because my vampire looks badass riding him all decked out in full Daedric Armor.

If there was an option to tie your horse down or just tell it to "STAY HERE" when you unmount to battle, then I'd reconsider using them full time.
Agreed. Is it just me, or is the Windhelm horse a magnet to damage? Like, if I'm fighting an archer, horse will run in the way and get shot by me, or an arrow goes over me and hit him.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts