PS3 Tell me what you think of my builds

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!
Battlemage build

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!
Previous build

I wasnt having fun with my previous build because sneak doesnt effectively compensate for not being a direct combat skill. I found myself sneaking everywhere before battles, taking off a few pot shots with my bow, and running away to get hidden again. It drew out battles as to make them painfully long, and it just want any fun, and if I got impatient and decided I wanted to just do direct combat I couldnt really because I had invested in sneak instead of another skill. When you level a skill but dont like using it, you're pretty much screwed. Since raising your level increases the potency of enemies, if you decide not to use a skill you've raised very high you make the game very difficult for yourself. If I had waited until I got the "shadow warrior" perk, or until I could pop invisibility potions like they were candy, I probably would have enjoyed the experience a bit more, but I just wasnt having any fun with it.

This new battlemage of mine will be able to go invisible whenever he likes (and thus be able to disappear during combat instead of having to run away) but he will be a much more direct-combat type of character. It'll be a nice change of pace to be able to use swords and hand axes as my main weapons.

Any flaws with my builds?

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Level 68 is rather high... I usually get bored with a character around level 50 or so.

Master Alteration, Master Restoration perks are kind of a waste, using Master level spells are so infrequent that having Magicka reduction on them isn't worth using a point.

I wouldn't invest perks in Fence or Master Trader either. Gold is easy enough to come by once you've invested in Riverwood Trader, 10k every two in-game days.

Nothing invested in Heavy/Light armor? What are you planning to wear?

Why all the 1H investments for a "BattleMage"? Especially the dual wield? A Battlemage is typically a heavily armored Mage. A 1h/Spell is a Spellsword.

Keep in mind that Invisibility isn't a get-out-of-combat-unscathed-free card. When you go invisible in the middle of combat, enemies are likely to still be able to follow you, either because you don't have muffle or they just still see you. Invisibility doesn't work against all types of enemies - Falmer and I think Hagravens.

Level 68 is rather high... I usually get bored with a character around level 50 or so.

I only got to twenty with that character, I was just showing what I was planning to do with that build. I got sneak and archery to about 70, and everything else was pretty low. All my crafts were around 50 or 60.

Master Alteration, Master Restoration perks are kind of a waste, using Master level spells are so infrequent that having Magicka reduction on them isn't worth using a point.

Well, I dont know. I'd like to think I'd have a valid excuse to use such awesome skills.

I wouldn't invest perks in Fence or Master Trader either. Gold is easy enough to come by once you've invested in Riverwood Trader, 10k every two in-game days.

Please tell me more. How do you end up getting money from riverwood trader?

Nothing invested in Heavy/Light armor? What are you planning to wear?

Well, with alteration, you get a 2x bonus in protection magic if you're not wearing any armor. Also robes are more badass... unless you're talking daedric armor.

Why all the 1H investments for a "BattleMage"? Especially the dual wield? A Battlemage is typically a heavily armored Mage. A 1h/Spell is a Spellsword.

Are you saying 1 handed doesnt work for a battlemage? I figured the stamina eating power attacks would pair nicely with restorations respite perk which restores stamina.

Keep in mind that Invisibility isn't a get-out-of-combat-unscathed-free card. When you go invisible in the middle of combat, enemies are likely to still be able to follow you, either because you don't have muffle or they just still see you. Invisibility doesn't work against all types of enemies - Falmer and I think Hagravens.

Well yes, I plan to run away and hide behind something. Also, whenever you go invisible and you arent in direct line of sight with the enemy, the sneak "eye" immediately begins to close. I had this happen to me when I was fighting a dragon priest when I used an invisibility potion. I was hiding behind a rock, about 30 feet from him, and almost immediately the eye began to close.

Either way, if sneak doesnt work out in that build, I wouldnt really care cause Im sick of it.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I only got to twenty with that character, I was just showing what I was planning to do with that build. I got sneak and archery to about 70, and everything else was pretty low. All my crafts were around 50 or 60.

Oh wasn't talking about your old character, talking about your proposed new one.

Well, I dont know. I'd like to think I'd have a valid excuse to use such awesome skills.

They're decent, but again they all have long cast times that can be interrupted, they also occupy two hands. Get the skills and try them before you invest the points.

Please tell me more. How do you end up getting money from riverwood trader?

The Riverwood Trader is the only trader that gets MASSIVE amounts of gold once you invest in them. Instead of the typical 500g-1k that most merchants increase by, Riverwood, for some reason, increases to 10k.

Well, with alteration, you get a 2x bonus in protection magic if you're not wearing any armor. Also robes are more badass... unless you're talking daedric armor.

I guess you could go with robes, but keep in mind that your armor rating will be nowhere near what can be accomplished with light or heavy armor. You're going to be going into melee combat with robes, depending on your difficulty level, this will be rough, even with flesh spells.

Are you saying 1 handed doesnt work for a battlemage? I figured the stamina eating power attacks would pair nicely with restorations respite perk which restores stamina.

Not saying it doesn't work, it just doesn't fit the archetype. But we'd just be arguing semantics. Call it what you want, but your proposed loadout doesn't match the traditional Battlemage.

I'll admit, your build isn't one that I would be comfortable using, not saying it can't be done or that it's wrong, just not something I would use. I'm a bit more traditional and end up specializing rather than having one character that does everything (or a lot of different things). Just my personal preference in playstyles, that's all.

Well yes, I plan to run away and hide behind something. Also, whenever you go invisible and you arent in direct line of sight with the enemy, the sneak "eye" immediately begins to close. I had this happen to me when I was fighting a dragon priest when I used an invisibility potion. I was hiding behind a rock, about 30 feet from him, and almost immediately the eye began to close.

If you're out of direct line yes, I figured you'd be casting it in their face while trying to escape since you're a melee based character.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I like the build. I think it's pretty good. I kind of like that you are going with the Unarmored bonus. It's actually a pretty true "Battlemage" type build.

(lot people think a Battlemage in Elder Scrolls is a Heavy Armored Spell caster, but it was actually like "Warlocks" are set up in other video games. Common mistake though.)