• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
i've been using the falmer war axe since i found it. should i be using a war axe or sword? what's a better over all weapon?

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
It all depends on how you're playing the character. Personally, I prefer swords, this may sound crazy, but they feel more comfortable. I feel like they require the least amount of effort to swing, which in turn means I can get more hits in. War axes do more damage, but I just find them awkward. In reality, it all depends on your personal preference. Try them all out, and see what you prefer.

Of course, you always have the option of using a different weapon for a different situation. The nice thing about this game, you aren't limited to only one or two weapons. Start with one, and if you feel like it's not doing what you want, you can always go into your inventory and switch weapons.

As for better overall weapons, again, that's not a question I can answer for you, it's something you're going to have to find out for yourself based on your personal play style and your character build. My fave is one I made myself, a glass sword with a fire enchantment that I aptly named 2Hot4U :D Is it the best in the game, hell no, but it's never let me down I'm kinda sentimentally attached to it.

Twiffle

2 handed battle axe with elemental fury shout, , awesome, imho
but i do prefer swords like greartsword or bound sword

Junkie

I like using scimitars & blades swords just because its something that I can't create at a forge. You have to find/loot them & improve or enchant them yourself. As far as damage or weight goes they're steel swords & the stats are going to be comparable to your imperial sword, steel sword, etc

blue 468

Like Imperial said its all personal preference swords are the fastest but do the least amount of damage and maces are the strongest but are the slowest and axes are in the middle of both. I personals prefer swords because they are the fastest and in my opinion look the coolest:). But that's the beauty of Skyrim it's your game and you can play any way you want.:D

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Swords have lower damage per hit but hit faster than axes, what might surprise you is even though swords seem weaker, they have the highest damage out put for a given time frame of any melee weapon, except for high level daggers which have a higher DPS starting at I believe glass. On top of that power attacks take more stamina the heavier the weapon, and swords are lighter than axes.

This is the order of DPS output of different weapon types (please note some unique cases break this trend, this is in general):

Battle Axe
Great Sword
War Hammer
Sword
Mace
War Axe

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I think it was originally intended for swords/axes/maces to be even. Swords are lighter, so you hit more, but do less damage. Maces are heavier, so you hit less, but do more damage. The axe is inbetween. Though I'm sure someone has figured out the algorithm and know precisely what does what the best.

Regardless, I'm all about having fun and while some people may find it fun to wield the bestest item they can, I go by whatever makes me happy. I almost always use an axe of some kind...whether it be one-handed or two-handed.

Use whatever has the coolest kill cam in your opinion! :D

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Ever since I got the mod over at Nexus, now that I can smith my own scimitars, unless I'm rolling a Nord Barbarian type who always get axes, my scimitar is my only option!

TheJR10

i've been using the falmer war axe since i found it. should i be using a war axe or sword? what's a better over all weapon?

Hello

Me Personally i am a sword kind of person, + Once you find a ebony sword keep it and love it, when you upgrade it aswell its awesome, although this is for a lower level as when you can make deadric or dragonbone weapons with the DLC i would advice making them and upgrading. I feel swords are more agile and looks better in the hand.

"I used to be an adventurer like you, until i took an arrow in the Knee" :eek:

Volanere

Grand Magister
I like axes there kinda like the best of both worlds. If im not using a bow im useing the dragonbone war axe.

Gowsh

Old Fart
I have a pet peeve with the way one handed blades are displayed in the hand.

<nitpick>

The hand is shown holding the handle of the blade pretty much in the middle of the grip.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the preferred grip be as close to the hilt as possible?

This would provide both extra protection for the hand and holding the blade much nearer the center of balance, making weapon movement less fatiguing on the wrist (at least).

It's like watching the "sport" of fishing depicted in TV commercials and to a lesser extent in movies and TV shows. It seems very few people in the entertainment biz have the slightest idea on how to hold a fishing pole. Some of the ways they have the actors do it are just ludicrous.

All that being said, my first char used only greatswords, which have less of the problem, but still have a bit. Go figure.

OTOH, you can grab an axe pretty much anyplace down the grip a ways and do plenty of damage very efficiently.

</nitpick>. Thanks for your atention.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts