• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

El Fonz0

Sword, because it swings faster, meaning more chances to hit the enemy. Plus, many unique weapons are swords.

What? No love for the axe-toters?

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Sword. It makes a better back up then a mace for an archer

Honeyderp

Mace cuz they are only just slower than swords but do 2 more damage. They don't usually fit a knight type character though. But every 2 damage helps in master. And cuz that's what bigwooly uses on hriskaar.

ShortStacked

It's a cop thing, you wouldn't get it.
I'm split fairly evenly between the two and a dagger, depending on what I'm doing at the moment. Bow and mace for dungeon-crawling with a follower; bow and dagger for solo stealth; and bow and sword for solo no-stealth raids.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ShadowGambit

Depends on the Character I want to roleplay.

A Hybrid caster will be better suited with a Mace.

A Warrior will tend to go for a Sword or an Axe. Paladin would use sword, for example, but Berserker would use Axes.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Two-handed I always lean towards swords. I think it has to do with how the others look on your back.

One-handed...I don't think I have a preference. I really like axes, to be honest, but I have a tendency to use whatever's the best that I own unless there are RP reasons for me to use something else.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Role play wise?

In real life, your choice of sword, mace or axe would be a question of both social standing and culture.

Swords are expensive to produce. Being nearly entirely made of metal, from the tip of the blade to the butt of the pommel. They are the most labor, material and skill intensive weapon to produce. An experienced weapon smith can make and properly balance a sword and only a relatively wealthy individual to afford one. This is why the sword gained the reputation as a noble's weapon (eventually a hero's weapon in traditional literature). In many cultures, a fine sword was a statement of an individuals class as much as it is a weapon.

Axes and Maces are less complex and can be more economically produced. They are a comparatively simple, being largely comprised of a wooden handle or grip with only the head being made of metal. They required less specialized labor and materials to produce, and so along with pikes and spears were often used to outfit rank and file soldiers in conscripted armies.

Gameplay wise, I prefer swords. Their increased speed is worth it for the very small degrade in damage compared to the slower maxes or axes.

I like Axes, because they have the best perks. Swords have the highest DPS in a given material tier, so work fine uperked. 2 handed, I almost exclusively use swords, or either of the Fast Hammers.

Role play wise?

In real life, your choice of sword, mace or axe would be a question of both social standing and culture.

Swords are expensive to produce. Being nearly entirely made of metal, from the tip of the blade to the butt of the pommel. They are the most labor, materials and skill intensive weapon to produce. An experienced weapon smith can make and properly balance a sword and only a relatively wealthy individual to afford one. This is why the sword gained the reputation as a noble's weapon (eventually a hero's weapon in traditional literature). In many cultures, a fine sword was a statement of an individuals class as much as it is a weapon.

Axes and Maces are less complex and can be more economically produced. They are a comparatively simple, being largely comprised of a wooden handle or grip with only the head being made of metal. They required less specialized labor and materials to produce, and so along with pikes and spears were often used to outfit rank and file soldiers in conscripted armies.

Gameplay wise, I prefer swords. Their increased speed is worth it for the very small degrade in damage compared to the slower maxes or axes.
Swords also require reinforcing along the entire blade, or they break, which is the main reason why they require a skilled craftsman. Ballance is a matter of taste, some swordsmen prefer a point heavy weapon, to smash through armor, while others want a quick blade balanced by a heavy pommel. (The point of balance usually at, or in front of the hilt.) I've actually made swords.

Axes are also useful tools, so for instance, historical Pirates typically carried a Boarding Axe to sever ropes in an emergency, while the Cutlass, Estoc, or other sword was reserved for Officers to signify their position.

raven63

Swords hands down

Templar of Talos

Bane of Elves and Vampires
Depends on the character I'm playing, race mostly. If I'm rolling an Orc, I'll exclusively use Axes (Mostly 2h) and a Bow/Crossbow

On a Nord, Greatswords for 2h and war-axes for 1h.

Arrow-Free Knee

In the frenzy of Helgen i picked up a mace and used it with shield for several levels. I couldn't wait to get rid of it for a sword but waited until i found one with better stats then the mace. after switching I found I enjoyed the action of the sword much more then the mace! I never got into two handed weapons but i'm only on my first character so i suppose there's time!!!
I'm thinking my next character will be an archer type so the two handed may still have to wait....

Skarv

For me it doesn't matter, it depends one what build I am playing. If I am playing a Warrior I pick swords, but when I play a Cleric then I must have a mace!!!!!!!

I'm thinking my next character will be an archer type so the two handed may still have to wait....
Archer/2handed actually works extremely well. The transition is a little slow, but you can Block/bash effectively with a greatsword (but not a dagger) and the massive damage is great for 1HK when you've already softened them up. (And keeps up with the Damage of the Bow, which is always greater with the same tier of Weapon/Arrow/Smithing.) The Reach means you can also use footwork to keep sword/boarders where you can hit them, but they can't hit you. (Especially with the Headsman's Axe, which swings faster.) Just use Bash instead of Power Attacks, except Great Critical Charge, which starts the fight with a Stagger. Nord works really well for this build. (With a Battleaxe, I call it the Woodsman.)

I also have an Altmeri Arcane Archer who uses Bound Bow, and Battleaxe. You can assign the spells to each hand, then sheath, and recast to switch weapons without hotkeys, or pausing in the menu. (Altmer for running speed, and because they can cast the bow with a Novice Hood, then not invest in Magicka at all.) There's no longer Classes in Skyrim, so there's no reason to stick to the 3rd era Archetypes.