• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I keep thinking about this, and I might re-create this build tonight using a Nord, as I'm not fond of how my Imperial looks. However, I had a question about the Battlecry Power- is that going to be overly problematic when I have fellow soldiers and/or followers around?
I haven't had a problem with it, either they're "Too Powerful for Battlecry", or they run away, and then come back. No harm, no foul. Don't use it in town, though.

kyleekay

Awesome. You rock! :)

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
A female Imperial, eh? Kyleekay, our similarities are never-ceasing! Although I'm known to defend the Argonian cause, I also have a female Imperial sword n' boarder (y'know, when it's time for something fresh; no love lost with the P.A.H.A.A.A., I hope!) Will there be a religious side to your character? Mine is a Paladin of Mara, and she uses Restoration a great deal--it's great when something finally gets through my shell and in response, I heal very rapidly.

Sword n' boarders usually make cool paladins (I think) and it's the iconic hero look. You oughta be thinking about which deity to serve, I think. My advice is more character-related, I suppose. Once Psiberzerker starts dropping information-bombs about builds, I keep to things like names and character motivation. Psi's build-knowledge rivals that of the gods themselves. Turtle up.

kyleekay

I changed my mind about the female Imperial, I think. :oops: I might be creating a female Nord instead, because of the Frost resistance (Psi made a good point about Stamina in regards to that). However in the future, I might make a Male Sword-&-Board Imperial. :)

Normally, I would definitely think about the religious side, etc. However this character is going to simply be a "I need to kill a few hours" type of build, so I won't be putting too much RolePlay based thought into her. I just want to run around and smash stuff for once, since I have 3 other RP builds that I play a lot. :)

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Leaning towards Nords, eh? ...May I put in a good word for Argonians?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I would suggest the Shield of Ysgramor. It makes mages a lot less bothersome.

kyleekay

Leaning towards Nords, eh? ...May I put in a good word for Argonians?

Lol. I am trying to make this character look like an old school soldier. I'm not sure a huge lizard would work. :p However I do plan on creating an Argonian eventually.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Lizard as to Dinosaur, Old School as to Ancient School.

Let us know what ends up happening with your sword n' boarder!

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
I love Lizard Man, and I always will.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
Yeah, I totally did that build with a Daedric Shield, and Ebony War Axe. Not much else.
Everyone, take note: Psiberzerker's cool points just sky-rocketed.

Adam Belmont

Had a question about a Sword & Board character. I just created a female Imperial (race) for the sole purpose of joining the Legion and hanging out in Solitude. I wanted her to be a traditional soldier type, so I decided to go with a Sword and Board setup. I've never done this before, so I just need a little guidance. She's not going to be a heavy roleplay character- just one that I can pick up and play for an hour or two whenever I need to kill some time. I will most likely not do the MQ on this character.

- Does Light vs Heavy armor matter? I was thinking of going with Light Armor, simply because I like that aesthetic better than the heavy Imperial Legion armor.

- Is this a decent perk build? I am open to suggestions!

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

- Any tips for playing this type of character? She's only a level 2 and aside from escaping Helgen she's only fought a few wolves, but I've found I have to be a little more strategic during the battle when using a shield.

- What should my health/stamina ratio be? So far I've only leveled once, and I put that level up into Stamina.

Thanks in advance, lovely people! :)
My actual warrior is sword and shield as well, but in Heavy Armor. I think the armor you choose doesn't matter much, its all about aesthetics really. I didn't read all the replys so if I'm being repetitive, I'm sorry.

about skills:
Archery is important for any warrior, you'll need at least 5/5, that's what I put on my warrior. If a Dragon atacks you in a town, you will need a bow and arrow, otherwise you won't hit him until he has half health and to get that you'll have to wait the guards in town do the work. Archery is good for hunting as well, so why not put 5 perks in it?
Block: all perks in block are good for something, I would say "Shield Charge" isnt THAT important, but the left side of the block tree is important specially "Deflect arrows", "Elemental Protection" and "Block Runner"
One-Handed: Savage Strike and Critical Charge are important as well. The 25% of decapitation is a instant kill, for a soldier this is awesome and charge on your enemies to double your damage is something to think about.

And any other skill is up to you, but I can assure you, to play effectively as a warrior you'll need those skills I've mentioned.

About the Health and Stamina, with my warrior I put 250 in Stamina and the rest in Health, you don't need more stamina than that with one-handed and shield.

And to help you with your roleplaying, there's the shield of solitude ( Skyrim:Shield of Solitude - UESPWiki ) that I believe to be better than the Ysgramor Shield, but be aware its a leveled item, you'll get the shield in full stats only after level 40 which gives you fortify block 35% and magic resistance of 30%. It's the shield I used with my lvl 44 warrior. Since I don't use enchantments with warriors, this is the best shield I could get my hands into. Even tho' you're going to roleplay a imperial soldier in solitude is important that you do the Companions to get the Skyforge steel Sword since you'll not advance smithing to Glass or Dragon.

Baelor

Sword and Board is the playstyle I've used the most on Skyrim. You can't really go wrong with either Heavy or Light armor, as you can hit the armor cap with both if you use smithing. Blocking also gives you extra protection to make up for not wearing heavy armor as others have already said.

Light armor also provides greater mobility. It's much easier for me to simply backpedal or sidestep enemy attacks and not have to block at all while in light armor, so that is another benefit.

Just a word of warning - The Quick Reflexes block perk is buggy. It also seems like cheating to me. Sometimes you will get stuck in the slowed time phase and I am not sure exactly how to get out of it.

Ariadne33

I don't think anyone's mentioned this on this thread but Vegetable Soup is a great food item for a sword and board character as it regens 1 stamina per sec (along with 1 health). It takes a tomato, leek, cabbage, and potato. With that and the Power Bash perk, you can stunlock enemies :)

Twiffle

I don't think anyone's mentioned this on this thread but Vegetable Soup is a great food item for a sword and board character as it regens 1 stamina per sec (along with 1 health). It takes a tomato, leek, cabbage, and potato. With that and the Power Bash perk, you can stunlock enemies :)

Ah, good old Veg soup, staple diet of all my warriors, simple yet deadly, :cool:

And dont forget Elswyr fondue, a spellsword/paladin with fondue and veg soup, virtually unbeatable, and no other enchants either, except the shield,

kyleekay

I haven't done anything with this build as of yet, as my schedule became unexpectedly busy. BUT I hope to recreate this build with a female Nord and start playin' as of this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Rye01

Skeever Trainer
Very nice thread. I began a new character last night - female, Nord, that I was planning on building into a tank. Based on this thread, I think I will change a few things around.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
I didn't realize there were so many sword n' boarders out there! Another point to be made is the way-cool kill cams you get just by having a sword and shield--I savor the spin-slice decapitation every time I'm treated to it. And who can forget the double shield-bash, a properly brutal ending when Targe of the Blooded is equipped.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts