Stuck between a rock and a hard place

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mauli

Actual Alchemist
I like to go mountain climbing and occasionally I'll get myself stuck in a place I just cannot for the life of me get out of. Usually I'll just cut my looses and restart at the last save. Well, last night I did a bunch of hard stuff and after I finished I decided to go over the mountain rather than around it. I didn't save because I thought I'd just travel a little more before saving and dam if I didn't get myself stuck. Now I really don't want to restart at the last save because I'll loose everything I did last night. Any advice in how to get out from between a rock and a hard place?

Baw182

I'm guessing you already tried fast travel and shimmying out. Try to cast a spell or something that might move you?

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
Are you playing console or PC? If you're on console, and there's no enemies nearby, my suggestion would be to simply try fast traveling to a nearby location. If you're on PC, the simplest thing to do is try the Toggle Collision ["tcl"] command to walk through the rocks to freedom. :p Just don't forget to turn it back on.

Perchta

i run into this problem a lot too, but so far i've been able to squeeze out at some point. try going into sneak and just standing still...sometimes you can slide right out. or sometimes being in sneak and then jumping towards wherever there looks to be a lot of texture on the ground.

It only took four(almost 5) years but here I am with the answer to your problem.
I know the exact pit you got stuck in outside of Windhelm.
If you consider the wall of Windhelm forward, go to the far left and there will be a pyramid shaped piece of hillside that you can jump up using texture glitches, sliding from one to the other and jumping upwards until you get to the top. Don't fall off the other side as that can kill you, but if you lower yourself over there without dying you can walk right out, back to the open world.